New Tenancy Laws (NSW) take effect Jan 2011

For NSW people
I haven't looked into all the detail as yet but the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 takes effect from 31 Jan 2011. An update of the Residential Tenancies Act 1987.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estat...down-on-tenant-blacklists-20101222-195n4.html

One of the more substantial changes is the increase in notice periods.
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/A...enancy_reforms/Renting_laws_are_changing.html
"If a tenant is no longer under a fixed term agreement and the landlord wants the tenant to move out ‘without grounds’, the notice period increases from 60 to 90 days. If notice is given by a landlord just before the end of the lease, the notice period increases from 14 to 30 days."

tenants will no longer be forced to have carpets professionally steam-cleaned when vacating premises.

But some things in the new laws for landlords as well.

Last edited:
My agent mentioned this yesterday.

One he picked up on was you could not charge/forward the tenants
the water charges unless you have water saving features installed,
Shower head and dual flush toilet I presume.

Yeah, overall there is nothing that worries or deters me.
As you say, there are some LL friendly things as well.

The notice periods above are annoying but looks like LL's are well supported by the Tribunal when it comes to giving eviction notice and being able to hand deliver notices removing the 4 day delay.

A trade off of sorts...

Last edited:

From the new regulations:

Residential Tenancies Regulation 2010
Current version for 3 December 2010 to date (accessed 23 December 2010 at 08:05)
Part 3Clause 11
<< page >>
11 Water efficiency measures required for payment of usage charges by tenants: s 39 (1) (b) of Act

The prescribed water efficiency measures that residential premises are required to contain before a tenant can be required to pay water usage charges for the premises are as follows:
(a) all showerheads on the premises must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,
(b) all internal cold water taps and single mixer taps for kitchen sinks or bathroom hand basins on the premises must have a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute,
(c) there must be no leaking taps on the premises at the commencement of the residential tenancy agreement or when the water efficiency measures are installed, whichever is the later.
Note. Taps and showerheads having a maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute have a 3 star water efficiency rating.

I don't see any reference to dual flush toilets.

So the way I see it:
Only shower heads, bathroom and kitchen basins NOT incl laundry.

These provisions do not relate to existing tenancies for another 12 months but will apply to new tenancies after 31.1.11

These provisions apply to "internal" taps only.
Toilets are unaffected.
Flow limitations on taps do not apply to: any tap connected to an appliance (i.e dishwasher, washing machine etc), bath taps, single hot water taps (i.e. kitchen sink or basin) but flow limitations do apply to single mixer taps.
Garden taps are excluded.
There might be some issues with some instantaneous HW heaters that operate unreliably under flow limited conditions.

I believe ya, but I just can't put my finger on where this is stated...maybe a link please prop...?;)

Section 39 (1) (b) ....I'll try to get you a link.....there are 2 issues here:
1. The Act which was passed by Parliament in July 2010
2. The Regulations which have only just been agreed and are administered by the OFT

tenants will no longer be forced to have carpets professionally steam-cleaned when vacating premises.

Does this only apply if the tenant has taken due care of the carpet? I'm curious to know as I have a tenant about to vacate a property that has cigarette smells deep in the carpets and walls.

It all comes down to the condition report now and how much can be attributed to "fair wear & tear"....

The tenant may still have to have carpets cleaned....

Now that's a thought...wonder if the condition report can include how a room or carpets smell...???

Last edited:
The thing I don't like is that tenants can move out with no notice.

If you give them notice to vacate (90 days) they can move out the next day if they like. This would cause loss of rent due to the fact that you wouldn't have advertised etc. No-one needs to move in one day so why shouldn't they give you at least a weeks notice? They could in effect notify the agent as their truck moves in to move their belongings.

Update

From our Property Managers

As previously advised there have been changes to the NSW Residential Tenancies Act 2010 as of the 31st January 2011

In summary the main changes to the Act are:

Notice period by landlord to tenant to terminate lease – increased to 90 days from 60 days (that is the owner/property manager must now provide 3 months notice to terminate a lease). Tenants may vacate at any time once notice has be given without the need to provide further notice.

Notice period by landlord to tenant to terminate lease (at end of fixed period) - increased to 30 days from 14 days. That is, the owner/property manager must serve notice one month prior to the expiry of the fixed term. In a worst case scenario, the lease goes from being 6 months to 9 months if you fail to end the lease at the appropriate time.

Rental Bonds – maximum bond which can be requested is 4 weeks rent regardless of whether the property is furnished or not.

Lodgement of Rental Bonds – additional time has now been granted to both owners and agents to lodge bonds with the Rental Bond Board.

Top-up of Rental Bonds - owners can no longer request that the bond be ‘topped up’ if the rent has increased during the course of a tenancy.

Fee-Free rent payments – tenants must be given at least one method of paying the rent which does not incur additional fees eg direct deposit.

Recovery of Bank Charges – tenants are now required to pay any charges relating to bounced cheques presented to the owner’s bank for payment of rent.

Water Usage – rental premises must be separately metered and have water efficient appliances (ie tapware) if the tenant is to be charged for water usage. That’s fine for individual properties, however many apartments do not have separate metering and many owners will miss out on recouping water consumption.

Service of Notices – hand delivery of notices to the tenant’s letterbox is now an acceptable method of delivery of notices. This will save 3-4 days in the service of notices by mail.

Holding Fees – these deposits can only be charged once the tenant’s application has been approved. If the tenant withdraws, they will lose the entire fee.

Disclosure - owners/agents must disclose whether the property has a sales agency agreement or if the bank has served any reposession/foreclosure notices.

Break fee - a fixed penalty can now be applied for a tenant who seeks to break the lease prematurely ie within the lease term. This is optional to document, if it is not documented then a set break fee applies on a tiered scale.

Early Release without penalty – tenants are now permitted to end the fixed term if they accept an offer of public housing or move to a nursing home. How about NRAS?

Sale of Rented Premises – two weeks notice must be given to the tenant prior to the placement of a notice for the sale of the property. Up to two inspections per week are permitted and further access can be negotiated.

Sub-letting – tenants will still require the owners consent to bring a new co-tenant into the property.

Domestic Violence – victims of domestic violence will have the right to change the locks to keep out the person listed on an AVO and to seek to take over the lease of the premises is their name is not already on the lease.

Rights of co-tenants – disputes between co-tenants can now be brought in front of the Rental Tribunal. Co-tenants can give 21 days notice to terminate the agreement outside of the fixed term. Operationally, this may mean that all persons listed on the tenancy agreement will need to give notice to terminate the lease.

Tenancy Agreement

Property Condition Report

New Tenant Checklist

From Sydney Water

Notice to landlords
Changes to the WaterFix service from 31 January 2011

Are you a landlord? Do you pass on water usage charges to your tenant?

The new Residential Tenancies Act 2010 changes the conditions that allow landlords to pass water usage charges onto tenants.

From 31 January 2011, to be able to pass water usage charges onto a tenant, the landlord must ensure the property:

• has a separate water meter
• has water efficient taps and showers (minimum 3-star water efficiency rating)
and
• has no water leaks.

The cost of WaterFix for landlords who can pass on water usage charges starts from $176.

I have just received a letter from my property agent saying that I must certify the taps in my rented property ($110) and other costs for changing taps that are not water saving or leaking.
Is this a requirement under the new changes?
My property was rented last Nov 2010, and the tenant pays for water usage under the agreement then. Does this mean I am not required to make any changes till there is a new agreement or within 12 months?
I have lived in the same property for 2 years as a tenant till i bought it over recently. All taps were fitted with water savings features by the developer, is this good enough?
Just want to be sure that landlords are not taken in by profiteers with these new changes.

with regards to the water usage charges. these only apply for new leases, existing leases are not affected until Jan 31, 2012.

so dont feel rushed by anyone to go and make changes for existing tenants.

Does this only apply if the tenant has taken due care of the carpet? I'm curious to know as I have a tenant about to vacate a property that has cigarette smells deep in the carpets and walls.

It all comes down to the condition report now and how much can be attributed to "fair wear & tear"....

The tenant may still have to have carpets cleaned....

Now that's a thought...wonder if the condition report can include how a room or carpets smell...???
As with everything else in the property, it has to be returned in the same condition as when the tenancy began, as per the condition report. The condition report should note any wear or staining (if applicable), and I would assume it would be silent as to odour, and the tenant would have to get it noted that it smelled, if there's an odour at the beginning of the tenancy.

So if the condition report simply lists carpet in good condition, without stains or wear, it should be returned in the same condition, less fair wear and tear. So carpet cleaning only has to be paid for if the carpets are actually dirty, which I think is fair enough.

Yes...noted Perp. Quite sensible and logical method.

So we must make sure that the smelling condition of items in condition reports are noted...not just wear and tear conditions....;)

A bit hard to photograph or record a (silent) smell though....:confused:

Is there a smellograph or something...LOL!

We're currently renting and Sydney Water paid us a visit yesterday to put water-saving devices in our showerheads. The water pressure now is pathetic. I called SW today to compain about the water pressure and it's now not strong enough to wash shampoo out of my hair. The response? "you'll just have to get used to longer showers now to wash your hair". Hmm, less water per minute - longer showers. Doesn't make sense.

I guess my ramble is to say that as I tenant I'd much rather have the old showerheads back and pay whatever usage it takes to have a decent shower again.

I'm surprised that not one of our PMs has contacted us about changing the shower heads in our IPs. has anyone else been hit up yet?

I have heard that there is a " regulator" thingy in the shower head that you can take out to make the pressure better but it will also increase the amount of water. I HATE water saving shower heads.

We're currently renting and Sydney Water paid us a visit yesterday to put water-saving devices in our showerheads. The water pressure now is pathetic.
That's just a bad showerhead choice; you can get low pressure heads which have surprisingly good pressure. I suspect they achieve it perceptually by aerating the water (ie the water "drops" are actually like a foam of water and air), so a small amount of water gives you a good "pelting" sensation. The ones which Brisbane City Council gave us cheap (or free? can't remember) for our PPOR are great. (The irony being that the house has since flooded TWICE and has seen more water than it knows what to do with. :D)

That's just a bad showerhead choice; you can get low pressure heads which have surprisingly good pressure. I suspect they achieve it perceptually by aerating the water (ie the water "drops" are actually like a foam of water and air), so a small amount of water gives you a good "pelting" sensation. The ones which Brisbane City Council gave us cheap (or free? can't remember) for our PPOR are great. (The irony being that the house has since flooded TWICE and has seen more water than it knows what to do with. :D)

Low flow devices are going to be an interesting problem for agents and those who self manage.

You will now need to check that the devices are still present upon vacating as for many people, they will arrange to remove them.

Back