Nice rain.

Is everyone on the east coast of Australia enjoying the rain? It was certainly dry after a hot dry spring.

I've had 60 mills so far and it's rained every day for a week. Hoping it goes away now for a bit so we can get our summer crops in before Christmas. Already have some sorghum and cotton in which now looks great.

See ya's.

Good for you . No rain to speak of here . The extended forecast for January is looking good though and also the dollar now down to 82 cents ha ha ...

Just hoping grain prices will come off a bit more :)

Is everyone on the east coast of Australia enjoying the rain? It was certainly dry after a hot dry spring.

I've had 60 mills so far and it's rained every day for a week. Hoping it goes away now for a bit so we can get our summer crops in before Christmas. Already have some sorghum and cotton in which now looks great.

See ya's.

Well I don't have room for sorghum or cotton but my strawberries are sure liking it! :D

Yep - I enjoyed it. Not growing too many things in the backyard (except a collection of kids toys) but the rain was very much welcomed. Nice to stay in doors and relax.

Cheers

Jamie

It has been a really odd weather pattern in Sydney. For at least the last week, the days are warm and humid and then later arvo the clouds build up and a big storm rolls in from the west to water the garden and cool everything down. I'm enjoying the rhythm of it.

After 3 months of no rain (fortunately have irrigation) it's been raining every night for the last two weeks - with some wild storms thrown in for good measure.

Averaging 20-40mm a night ... think a break for a week or so would be nice now :D but doesn't look like happening ... makes for good sleeping weather tho

Last edited:

See ya's.

TC
Any chance of posting a photo, what's sorghum? I'm a city slicker:p

Send some rain up this way please! I never thought I'd hear the words "Water restrictions" and "Cairns" in the one sentence....

Prior to Saturday night when it stormed and we got ~70ml in a couple of hour period we had only about 20ml of rain since August. The landscape has turned very reminiscent of the western Melb landscape when I was there - everything being brown and crunchy!

See ya's.

Hi Topcropper, we've had A LOT of rain in Canberra. Great for the garden. My brother is in country NSW. He says that the farmers don't need any more rain now. Is it harvest time?

I swear my grass grew an inch over the weekend. Crazy. The rain is lovely, though I wish the storms would stop crashing on our heads right on junior's bed time!

My sister on the land in Victoria had really been hoping for a good rain all year. Exception now at harvest time.

I've been propagating kikuyu grass onto the area up the back of my block (several hundred sqm), and last week planted about 50 runners I had collected (with roots attached). Tuesday last week I also put out 25kgs of dynamic lifter, so my yard is looking great after the 50mls of rain we've had in the last week. What I need now is a few nice warm/hot days then some more rain, and my kikuyu will grow at an insane rate, and build some decent root structure to see it through the dry parts of late summer.

My sister on the land in Victoria had really been hoping for a good rain all year. Exception now at harvest time.

Farming friends have been rained in - with not looking to be able to get out until tomorrow at the earliest.

We'd like a break in the rain ... our last variety of garlic is not yet ready for harvest (the rain has given it a second wind) but we also don't want it to start rotting in the field.

An age old dilemma - do we pull off the mulch or not?

It has been a really odd weather pattern in Sydney. For at least the last week, the days are warm and humid and then later arvo the clouds build up and a big storm rolls in from the west to water the garden and cool everything down. I'm enjoying the rhythm of it.

As far as I am concerned that is not "odd" weather for this time of year. That is early Summer exactly as it's been on average for as far as I can recall.
Im 52yrs.

Too much reading into the climate changers agenda I reckon.

This weather is just normal.
It varies greatly every year but that is just normal to vary for a few weeks here and there either side of the seasonal changes.

We've had that early heat and volitility and now it's just great, bit of rain, some cool off nights and soon enough it will slip into the regular Summer pattern of hot days and nights with the odd rainy "break".

How is this "odd" is what I'd like to know?

Back