Nice rain.

I've had reo down at my place in Brissie for 3 weeks waiting for the concretors to arrive. Can't build the laundry and put the place on the market til we have foundations so I'd like the rain to stop. From what I hear, this weather is normal in sunny qld in December.

I reckon I'm almost turning into a stormchaser. Today I was outside my parents house watching the cloud formations for ages before they brought the hailstones. The storms this past week in Sydney are like something you see in a movie, just awesome.

We see these crops a lot driving to the Outback....what is sorghum used for?

In Australia it's a feed grain. It's the main grain fed to chooks for eggs and chicken meat. Also fed to cattle with wheat and barley.

Sorghum is also a gluten free grain. There is gluten free beer made from it, and some friends of mine have a gluten free flour that they are selling,

http://kurrajongridge.com.au/

It will also pop, just like pop corn and tastes the same as pop corn.

In China it's turned into a spirit called Baijiu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baijiu

China sometimes turns up and buys a heap of Australian sorghum, and sometimes they don't. Just depends on price.

In Africa it's a food staple. It's a tropical plant that's really tough, so suits some areas over there.

See ya's.

55mm in the last week. We have had a great year and will probably go down as one of the best on record for us. A bit more rain in the spring and it would have been even better. We are graziers only though. For our mixed farming neighbours results were pretty mixed and would probably say for them it was a bit above an average year.

I remember saying "good rain" to your Dad (Topcropper) way back in the 80's.

He burred up and told me it was horrible as he had enough moisture already.

Farmers.:D

I remember saying "good rain" to your Dad (Topcropper) way back in the 80's.

He burred up and told me it was horrible as he had enough moisture already.

Farmers.:D

Ha ha. We are happy with what we got, but more is coming apparently. So if you said it again next week he wouldn't be happy as we want to get the rest of the planting done as it's getting to the late stage. Plus I always go camping between Xmas and new years.:D

Let the big rain happen in Jan and Feb. Love a wet summer.:)

See ya's.

I spent the afternoon - in stinky hot muggy conditions - pulling thick mulch off the last of the garlic (5m x 120m) as we've had so much rain - with more on the way and muggy conditions - we run the risk of the garlic rotting in the ground.

Sheesh - that was a hot and bothersome job ... needed a lie down halfway thru!

I spent the afternoon - in stinky hot muggy conditions - pulling thick mulch off the last of the garlic (5m x 120m) as we've had so much rain - with more on the way and muggy conditions - we run the risk of the garlic rotting in the ground.

Sheesh - that was a hot and bothersome job ... needed a lie down halfway thru!

Do you have a place where you can dry it, if the weather doesn't co-operate...so it doesn't rot in the ground?

Could've waited another ten days - husband has had to postpone his big MTB event yet again - apparently shoalhaven has had almost their annual rainfall in the last week and a bit. Last year it flooded the nowra river the week before the race.

And a beeeeaauuutiful southerly this evening cooling things down with all the moisture going into the ground it couldnt get any better!

Climate change...bring it on.:D

And a beeeeaauuutiful southerly this evening cooling things down with all the moisture going into the ground it couldnt get any better!

Climate change...bring it on.:D

I know ... nearly "light the fire" weather north of Sydney atm ... been watching Tassie, where friends live, and they are yet to get out of the teens

I know ... nearly "light the fire" weather north of Sydney atm ... been watching Tassie, where friends live, and they are yet to get out of the teens

Well, that's Tassie, a lot further south and all....

This weekend is shaping up for a campfire night here, with just 24deg forecast for Saturday.
I'll be lucky to get dry firewood.....nah got that covered. Be prepared !;)

85mm in 10 december days,~twice the average rainfall here for the month
There is GRASS, in December. Usually no grass till February when the rain comes
There is water in Tennant Creek, the actual creek not the town, and people swimming in it

85mm in 10 december days,~twice the average rainfall here for the month
There is GRASS, in December. Usually no grass till February when the rain comes
There is water in Tennant Creek, the actual creek not the town, and people swimming in it

A swim with no salties and the cattle stations will be pleased, a big Chrissy in TC this year :)

Just had comparatively warm winter in Melbourne - very few of my stone fruits (nectarine, peach, cherries) set :(

Previous year was a wet spring so everything went mouldy on the branches before ripening....

The Y-man

Back