An Update...

Hi guys

Just to let everyone know I was made redundant when the Federal budget was brought down as a result of specific cuts in my industry. Many would see this as a bad thing but I have been exceptionally busy planning for our next stage of life since then, hence my absence from the forum lately. We are about to embark on an eight month big lap of Oz with all the kids and a camper trailer (I'm trying to convince the other half to go for longer but I know who really makes the decisions around here... and it definitely ain't me!).

Some may think we are crazy but we are taking our 3 kids (oldest still in mid primary, youngest starts kindy next year) out of school for the rest of the year so we can take off to show them their own country. Destinations will include the Kimberley (Dampier Peninsula, Gibb River Rd, Mitchell Plateau, El Questro, Lake Argyle etc), NT (Darwin, Kakadu, Litchfield), Savannah Way, Cape York (not the OTT unfortunately with a new camper and 4WD!), East Coast (lots of people to catch up with on the way down the Great Dividing Range / coast) and back to Perth via SA and the Nullarbor (we have already lived in Tas long enough and seen SW WA / Pilbara). Hoping to get to Alice / Uluru / etc at some point as well but may have to do that at a later date as we have to race through the tropics before the wet season as it is... and it might be a bit hot in summer for the family without air con. Although who knows, we may have hardened up a little by then?

The timing is perfect as it will only get more difficult to drag the kids out of school later on and they are all now out of nappies and don't need to sleep during the day anymore. By the time we get another crack at it we will be grey nomads...

Anyway, this is what property investing has enabled our family to do and we are very grateful to this forum, which has helped guide us down this path. As for what happens after we return, who knows? We will have eight months to think about it. I reckon I could give that sitting on the beach idea a red hot go in the meantime!

See ya's! :D

Don't think you're crazy but I am very envious!! Excellent timing with the kids the age they are.
Good on you for having investments in order so that you're able to do this.
You never know, once you hit the road the other half might enjoy it more than she expects and you could find yourself spending 12 months away!!

Last edited:
(not the OTT unfortunately with a new camper and 4WD!), :D

You'd be nuts to take a 4 wheel drive along the telegraph track in my opinion. I've done it on a 600 cc dirtbike and that was fine and great fun. A 4 wheel drive would get so scratched from the scrub it would be a shame. Plus a few creeks that are near impassable.

Sounds great anyway.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Hooning around Australia with a campervan isnt my kettle of fish, but I know it is for some.

Wanted to offer my congratulations anyways for striking another item off your bucket list and achieving enough success with property to allow life choices.:)

Mate of mine has done all sorts of trips going right across this great country of ours.

We have joined him on (for him) a minor trip to Fraser and the wife didn't like it.

So I take my hat of to you and wish you all the best.

Cheers

Hi Antony - good to see you're able to get away like this - i assume all is better on the home front?

wishing you a heap of fun and lots of memory-making.

a.

like.png

Not crazy at all. The kids will learn more in 8montgs traveling around oz thn they will at school.

Congratulations. Enjoy.

Blacky

Congratulations! Have fun! Perfect time for the kids! My hubby took the kids from Perth via Uluru to Brisbane over Xmas break when they were just finishing yr 2 and 5. They had a blast and comPleted many assignment on their trip since. Ill have to do Uluru with them next time. Looks amazing if you can fit it in!!

Sounds like fun. It is great you are in a place to take this path.

Just to let everyone know I was made redundant when the Federal budget was brought down as a result of specific cuts in my industry. Many would see this as a bad thing but...
I'm in a similar situation but chose to take the redundancy and become a contractor. First contact is lined up. I also have 3 kids but only the oldest in the kindy.
Only time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

Enjoy the journey Mr. Equity.

Sometimes these sort of happenings are timely and opportune to allow us to smell the roses and from the perspective of "health being the first wealth" this will be a very deserved sojourn for you young family to discover more of this great paddock.

Have a wonderful trip. :)

Enjoy...sounds like an awesome family adventure

Keep us posted

The kids will get bored between pit stops and unless you take plenty of those, you'll probably get white line fever also. The schools are great nowadays and will give kids work to do

Sounds like a plan. It is not my cup of tea, but I'm curious to know if you will be home schooling the primary school child?

I agree that this age, the mid-primary school child will learn way more through this trip than from being at school, and it much better to do this than wait longer and possibly interrupt the schooling at a more important age.

Friends of ours took their child to Europe for a year after grade 7 (last year of primary in Queensland at that stage) and before he started high school. I'm not sure if they had to do any sort of home schooling or not, but he was a young chap for his year, so missing a year, and then heading to high school at a new school where nobody knew he had skipped a year was good as he wasn't seen as having to "repeat" and wasn't seen as being "too old" for that grade on his return. Nobody needed to know he was "behind" a year.

I thought it was a great idea, and workable for this family as they had only one child.

HiEquity, that's not crazy at all! We're planning to do the same thing, was going to be next year but something came up and delayed us a little, so we're looking at 2016. Hope you have a blast and I agree, the kids will learn so much more on the trip than they would at school. Totally worth it.
We're planning on taking ours out of school for a year to do Europe as well, but that's a while away still :)

Who cares what everyone else thinks!??!?!

Go for it, go you good thing

Most people are jealous that they cannot do what you are about to do

Thanks again everyone!

Sounds like a plan. It is not my cup of tea, but I'm curious to know if you will be home schooling the primary school child?

Yep - both of them (year 3 and year 1). Their teachers agree with the prevailing sentiment of the forum that they will probably learn more where we are going anyway. We have the curriculum and teachers guides to take along. The year 3 curriculum next term includes rock art of all things! I suspect we may have a few photos to send on that!

Back