• sometimes

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Yes but never dogs

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi redsquash,

Comments inline.

1What percentage extra do you charge to rent to tenants with pets?

I don't. Why should I? A pet is part of the family. That would be the same as charging extra for a couple renting who had children than those that didn't.

2 What pets have you had?

In my rentals at the moment, there are some staffies, maltese and two snakes. :eek:

The snakes are in cages and the owner is licensed. :eek:

3 Since more people live in houses than pets I guess statistically you are correct about people causing more damage than pets

No, what I meant was people who rent and own pets cause more damage than the pets they own. I looked at a townhouse in Bella Vista Waters to rent. The people there had a couple of young kids. Every single wall had grubby hand prints and the previous tenant had to pay to clean all the walls. Everyone knows what kids are like. ;)

4 I dont think I need to .. get over it!

Meh. It wasn't directed to you... it's directed to everyone who worries about pets. Just stop it. :)

I am trying to determine whats the best way to allow pets but at the same time be assured my property will not have unnecessary wear and tear or damage...............How unreasonable is that?

Put the onus on the tenant - if there is any damage, they'll have to pay for it. There's also some psychological element here... if you worry about a tenant with a pet who's going to destroy your beloved rental, then you'll get *exactly* that tenant. So stop worrying! :D

-- MJ.

I don't. Why should I? A pet is part of the family. That would be the same as charging extra for a couple renting who had children than those that didn't.

I have kids and i would fully expect to pay more if I rented than a single person. I know that's illegal tho and it's fantastic that LLs are happy to subsidise all the extra legs under the table... I am starting to reconsider selling my PPOR and renting, it's just such a bargain.

I have kids and i would fully expect to pay more if I rented than a single person. I know that's illegal tho and it's fantastic that LLs are happy to subsidise all the extra legs under the table... I am starting to reconsider selling my PPOR and renting, it's just such a bargain.

Well, you'd expect to pay more rent for a 2 storey, 4 bedroom home than a 1 bedroom apartment. :)

Well, you'd expect to pay more rent for a 2 storey, 4 bedroom home than a 1 bedroom apartment. :)

I can see your point, but it depends on locations, usually if you want a 1 bed you are a yuppie in the inner city. These can easily be the same price as a middle tier 4x2. Even when i was single I lived in this 5x3 - and now we are starting to confuse wants with needs

....easy to say....quite a different matter to actually enforce.

since when does a tenant HAVE to pay for anything? They are the little guy protected by floors of government white camry drivers, LLs are just greedy investors partaking in the $9bn tax bonanza that is driving this country to its knees

I allow pets to increase access to target markets, I have a tenant who looks after my house really well and they have two small dogs.

Carpet not salvagable

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum but seeing that the topic was unfortunately something I have had to deal with this week I thought I should respond.

Though the tenant knew that we did not want pets, we were promised that the one dog and one cat were kept in a dog run and cattery. outside.

Three months ago I did an inspection on 3 bed house. Mother of tenant was there having a cuppa after having helped the daughter clean. Lots of nice cleaning product smells, no holes in walls etc.

Three weeks ago I arranged for another inspection prior to the tenants moving, time was arranged and my husband and I got there on the dot. No tenant??. Anyway tenant rings me later saying she didn't see the point of me doing the inspection as they were moving out in two weeks and besides she wasn't organised. OK

Monday 4 pm final inspection. I tell tenant I can't sign off on the final because of the over powering pet odour (urine). " I can't smell anything she says" "No you wouldn't" I reply, "as you are living with it."

Anyway to cut an extremely long story short. Carpets have been ruined beyond repair. As my husband began lifting the carpet where the worst of the smell was it was obvious to Blind Freddy that the urine has soak through the carpet and into the underlay and no amount of professional cleaning will get it out. Room after room has had to be turfed out and even some floors still have damp patches. We find out after the fact that they had been keeping two dogs and two cats inside.

I for one will not allow a pet in our rentals again.

Rel

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum but seeing that the topic was unfortunately something I have had to deal with this week I thought I should respond.

Though the tenant knew that we did not want pets, we were promised that the one dog and one cat were kept in a dog run and cattery. outside.

Three months ago I did an inspection on 3 bed house. Mother of tenant was there having a cuppa after having helped the daughter clean. Lots of nice cleaning product smells, no holes in walls etc.

Three weeks ago I arranged for another inspection prior to the tenants moving, time was arranged and my husband and I got there on the dot. No tenant??. Anyway tenant rings me later saying she didn't see the point of me doing the inspection as they were moving out in two weeks and besides she wasn't organised. OK

Monday 4 pm final inspection. I tell tenant I can't sign off on the final because of the over powering pet odour (urine). " I can't smell anything she says" "No you wouldn't" I reply, "as you are living with it."

Anyway to cut an extremely long story short. Carpets have been ruined beyond repair. As my husband began lifting the carpet where the worst of the smell was it was obvious to Blind Freddy that the urine has soak through the carpet and into the underlay and no amount of professional cleaning will get it out. Room after room has had to be turfed out and even some floors still have damp patches. We find out after the fact that they had been keeping two dogs and two cats inside.

I for one will not allow a pet in our rentals again.

Rel

Top 250

If you worry about your IP being damaged then don't rent it out full stop.

This is why there is a bond and inspections done by PM...

If you don't like people with pets then buy an IP in a muslim country, they hate pets over there.

Have a good day

If you have pets inside I suppose it is only reasonable to expect the occasional squirt of Urine on Carpet.
That being the case the tribunal would see it unreasonable to compensate for foreseeable damage.

Perhaps I should just urinate on the carpets prior to the tenants moving in so they know what standard I expect upon their leaving.
That way, there would be no misunderstanding and because it would be my urine I wouldn't have problem with the smell.

dogs are good

I agree with that, I find that finding rentals with a pet is a nightmare and it is great to see ppl who WILL allow pets, it is the owners not the pets that are the problem, they should be responsible enough to make sure their pets are behaving and teaching them how to behave, but they dont, well not all of them, and how do you know whichc are which? well you don't, I am a tenantt who is searching and I don't blame landlords who dont allow pets, I have a reference typed up for my dog, a collie, and I would pay a bit more rent for him.

I wouldnt go that far, urinating, if the tenants are responsible then their pet should be house trained, I once had a rabbit that was house trained, pets should not be urinating on carpet, I dont believe that anyone has that problem, if it is outside it cant urinate on the carpet and if it is house trained it wont, my dog would never urinate inside, even though he is outside, he would no dare, he is well trained

I live in Melbourne and cant find a rental that will allow pets, I have been searching for ages, as a landlord what tips can you give to getting a rental

thats not unreasonable, you need the assurance that your property is looked after, I have a pet and he is well trained, get references that are checkable and is that person taking their dog to basic obedience classes, thats about all you can do, if landlords open their properties to ppl with pets there would be no rental crisis

maybe if some tenants didn't do so much damage and not pay for it, or try to skip out without paying their rent etc, landlords wouldn't need to screen tenants so much.

Must be a reason why some landlords won't allow pets.
Must have been lots of incidents where the landlord's home was damaged and left for the landlord to deal with.

I think, some tenants, may have caused their own shortage. They are just having a hard time.

Back