No Thrills Floor Board Sand & Polish

Once again I appreciated all the replies and ideas. Damian, that looked like a nice job you and your wife did.

Great pic geoffw, I can see clearly how it would go from that.

It really does seem to be a job that you don't want to rush and do carefully. I don't think I will have that time as have so many things to do.

I wonder if I could buy some rugs or something to put on the floor for now? I did ring a couple of pros to see if they could do a quick job but have not heard back yet.

What would you do if you only had limted time like me and didn't want to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars?

I might go and have a look at the shops tomorrow and see what rugs are available. I guess I could run over the floor lightly with my orbital sander and just give it a quick buff and get rid of any paint drops and larger marks, then wash it down with water and soap. I would then place a couple of rugs to cover as much of the floor as I can...

I have no idea how much rugs will cost but I think it seems a better idea than rushing a floor polish job that I can do at a later date.

leave it

I'd just clean off the worst of the paint, vaccuum it and leave it alone until you have more time/money. If you're feeling really rushed it's unlikely to help the quality of a home job.

PS. You could also investigate the possibility of cleaning then waxing rather than sanding.

i agree that the floors don't look to bad. have they been polished before? i'd get a pro in to give a quick run over to get the paint drops off. we had that done in our current reno ... polished the floors before we moved in, and then had to redo the opened up back dining/kitchen/family and hallway again due to patching and painting etc - cost us $600.

as for rugs - i'd never buy a rug as such again. go down to the local carpet shop, choose a nice carpet and get them to have it edged for you. costs about half what the same would be as a "rug". i've got a lovely large piece of edged cream shag in the lounge for $750 - would've cost me around $1200 in the carpet shop (i know because i priced them).

p.s. i have polished 2 floors in my history and would never do it again. it's a lot of very hard work, mucking around and the finish never looks quite right - looks okay, but not right.

Yes I'm realizing the floors are not too bad and I just went over the main room yesterday with the round orbital sander and just sanded over places where there was some paint drops etc. Now it looks quite good although it just has a few spots where it is lighter from the sanding.

So I would like to know what I can put on the sanded spots to seal it where I have sanded as a temporary thing until I do a full sand and polish job in the future?

Someone mentioned furniture polish, what about a light dab of some oil etc?

Last edited:
Patching is hard. Depends on what is already on the floor. That's why I suggested getting a finishing sander and going over the whole floor. You won't do any damage with the big flat finishing sander.

Unfortunately I don't have the time now as I fly out of the country in a few days and still have many things to do but I agree that would have been a good idea.

It doesn't need to look perfect the house is only going to be rented for around $200 per week.

Would furniture polish or something work just to dab on the lighter sanded spots? What about lemon oil, I have a bottle of that here?

Here are some pics to show before and after:

DSC4647.jpg

DSC4652.jpg

Apply one coat of satin clear over the sanded spots,
You can get it form any paint shop.
It should turn it into a similar color to the rest
Please post a photo of the finished product,
Regards Greg ;)

Apply one coat of satin clear over the sanded spots,
You can get it form any paint shop.
It should turn it into a similar color to the rest
Please post a photo of the finished product,
Regards Greg ;)

great, I was thinking about applying a thin coat of varnish so this is along the same lines. I would just apply a thin coat, enough to give coat and seal it until I do the floor properly in the future.

Yes I will post a pic when I finish it on Sunday...

Hi Monsoon
My wife and I did a cheap floor tidy up of our PPOR sunroom late last year,it only cost $250 all up using our:eek: (my dear wife's labour) for "Wattyl decking oil" in natural colour 2 coats,floor sander hire,nail punching and filler.The floor came up really well,dried quickly and is easy to maintain.:D
Cheers
Damian.

Did you use anything to seal it like a varnish?

Back