Not protcol to divulge address

My last (cheers from the crowd) point on this as its become an agent against buyers exchange of views and I am outnumbered :p

Agents don't sell properties, people buy properties.

I show properties and the rest is up to the buyer, no tactics, no pressure, no problems. Worked for me for 12years and I expect it will for many more, most of my listings are from referral so I expect most buyers are happy also.

To an agent, listings are paramount in the chain of important things needed to be successful. It makes sense that proper management of these to secure a sale for the seller is the ideal outcome. Other agents here even if they do not buy into this discussion will ultimately agree with that.

Have a nice day everyone, still sunny and pleasant in SE Qld.

David E-Noosa said:
My last (cheers from the crowd) point on this as its become an agent against buyers exchange of views and I am outnumbered :p

Agents don't sell properties, people buy properties.

I show properties and the rest is up to the buyer, no tactics, no pressure, no problems. Worked for me for 12years and I expect it will for many more, most of my listings are from referral so I expect most buyers are happy also.

To an agent, listings are paramount in the chain of important things needed to be successful. It makes sense that proper management of these to secure a sale for the seller is the ideal outcome. Other agents here even if they do not buy into this discussion will ultimately agree with that.

Have a nice day everyone, still sunny and pleasant in SE Qld.

Its not an agent against buyer issue.

Its a common sense vs time issue.

Its not only the QLD agents that are lacking, a lot of NSW agents employ the same defensive "marketing" strategy except in NSW most have exclusive listing.

Let's not kid ourselves here. The only reason that a rea wont give you the address is to protect his or herself and their commission.

If an agent wont give me the address the only thing they will hear from my end of the phone is......PLONK!

David E-Noosa said:
To an agent, listings are paramount in the chain of important things needed to be successful.

Hi David,

What proportion of listings comes from people whom you've previously sold a property too?

Surely offering the path of least resistance to a buyer to get information about a property is going to give you the best shot at getting their future listing?

I never go out of my way to get an address if an Agent wants to pre-qualify me, or show me the property himself (which is unheard of in SA) I simply dont bother I have next to zip spare time in my life. Jumping through an Agents hoops to get an address is not something I'm going to waste time on.

I cant help but feel that this commission-protecting strategy is a very dim witted short-term view of ones cashflow.

But I'm just an observer from a distance and maybe I do indeed need to walk a mile in your shoes first.

Hi all, Seems I've entered a touchy subject, hehehe. :D

On further investigation, driving around town till I found the rental property for sale, I found it was situated in the worst street in town. No wonder she didn't want to divulge the address. No thankyou, I would need to be paid to buy that one. :)

G'day

Usually, we're happy to give out the address.

And, we find that the majority of the time we are still achieving top results for the vendors.

Not giving out addresses simply puts potential buyers offside to begin with, and potentially we may lose them altogether. Very rarely do we have someone knock on the vendor's door, and they certainly don't try it twice. Also, in Vic at least, most authorities are exclusive, and don't usually allow for the vendor to find the buyer themselves.

We do ask for a name and number first, and while this is primarily for security, in all honesty it is also so we can call you and find out if you want to see inside, and also then start to find out exactly what it is you're after - in case we have any other listings/possibilities that might suit you. Same thing with OFI's.

Believe it or not, the good agents do this to try to help you. While we are employed by the vendor, it still makes a lot of sense to me to try to look after my buyers as best I can. Even more so considering that while they're a buyer today, tomorrow they're a vendor.

duncan_m said:
I never go out of my way to get an address if an Agent wants to pre-qualify me, or show me the property himself (which is unheard of in SA) I simply dont bother I have next to zip spare time in my life. Jumping through an Agents hoops to get an address is not something I'm going to waste time on.

I have to agree with Duncan, I have more to do than waste my time on some Real Estate Agent who wants to play games. You would think that the Agents would go out of their way to make the decision to buy one of their listings easy, but sadly many aren't that enlightened. We, as investors, will buy many properties in our lifetime while most people only ever buy one or two (if at all). The Real Estate Agents are the ones that should be jumping through hoops to get our business.

BTW, I have come across one that refused to show me a property because my husband wasn't going to come with me to the inspection. Big mistake! Not only did I buy the property, I bought through another agency (it was multi-listed).

Cheers

Other scams

Similar but not the same.

When I was living in Coffs Harbour (88 to 95) it was common to receive a number of letters from "buyers" stating they desperately wanted to live in MY area and had just missed out :( on buying this address (usually a recent sale).

Should I, at all, be considering selling, I must contact XYZ REA who they had appointed as their sole exclusive contact. Buyer agent it seems. :rolleyes:

Why the BUYERS took the time & cost to write to every home in MY area seeking someone willing to sell and then only pass it on to an agent to take his/her cut never seemed to make sense to me? :confused:

On contact of course the REA replied "that buyer has bought something, moved away, changed their mind, died ( not really), but WE have many other interested buyers and if YOU sign up with US we will show you. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the new rules cut this out but it was terribly insulting and annoying. :mad:

Having written this I believe most agents are fair and reasonable. Unfortunately the nature of the game is such sharks will be in it.

Peter 147

skater said:
BTW, I have come across one that refused to show me a property because my husband wasn't going to come with me to the inspection. Big mistake! Not only did I buy the property, I bought through another agency (it was multi-listed).

When we were last looking at properties the agent was reluctant to show me a certain property without my husband. He said that he has had a number of instances where the wife has said 'I love it!' only to have the husband come through later and say 'I hate it!' He prefers is both look at the same time. Fair enough, but as I pointed out to him we didn't actually plan to live in the property so all that matters to my husband is that the figures stack up.

He showed me the property and I put in an offer that morning. After a day of to-ing and fro-ing the house was ours. As my husband says, I do most of the shopping in the household. Some weeks it is a little more than others. That particular week it was quite a lot more :D!

BTW, as the resident tenants stayed on my husband still hasn't seen further than the road frontage! Does he care? Not a bit!

Stiched Up

Peter 147

that seems to have been the norm for agents. Although wearing a little thin with people.

1) Send out 1000 letters.

2) Get a few responses.

3) Get some friends, relo's , inlaws etc to inspect.

4) Say they want to buy it.

5) YOU MUST SIGN A SALES AGREEMENT!

6) Unfortunately the buyers uncles cat died in The UK. They are returning to help the family come to grips with it.

7) But we have your listing :)

Running Thin

Further to above post. I am not saying all agents use this marketing process. But as you mention Peter 147 there seemed to be quite a lot of this type of letter box drops just a few years back.

Funny how people will have no intention of selling but suddenly will when a good price is mentioned. :eek:

I agree the scam seems to have died out.

However I still get angry about this stuff because it prays on the less informed, average joes out there and I know, having seen my parents ripped off more than once. Any agent that did that to my family would have my lawyer tear him a new $*%*.

How can anyone rip someone else off like that?

My mom almost got scammed by those “lady where here to inspect the hot water system free” dudes. Unable to call me due to a meeting to get advice, she was told “ look the anode is rusted” (which it is meant to do) and “look this valve when pushed leaks (overflow valve which it is meant to)” She signed up to on the spot for almost $300 but luckily she did not have any money to pay as I pay all her expenses by card.

I was so p**sed. I ran the head office of dodgy pty ltd and gave them both barrels! Even the secretary got slammed. In short after demands from me that being in construction I know the scam and you should be disgusted, I gave them 24 hours to make good or would sue their *$*$ to hell.

Within 2 hours they had been and made good. Unfortunately Mum got upset and ended up in tears from feeling foolish.

Consumer laws, now that’s an election issue.

Peter 147

Wrappack that Jenman agent is what they are all about- secret agents not real estate agents, thats why they don't advertise! Agents that don't have an exclusive agreement with a vendor are very reluctant to divulge information for drive by's. Send details of what you are looking for and I'll see what I can find for you [email protected]
Cheers

Prices in RE advertisements

How do others feel about RE advertisements in the paper which show neither a price nor a suburb? I don't even bother to read further if I can't find this information, particularly the price.

4 Sale

The same as if I read this.

4 Sale. Used car . 4 seats, 4 wheels, good cond. ph xyzyr34. :(

Sometimes to much info puts people off. But no information at all can hardly create any enthusiasm to check it out. :eek:

Gee Cee said:
Peter 147

that seems to have been the norm for agents. Although wearing a little thin with people.

1) Send out 1000 letters.

2) Get a few responses.

3) Get some friends, relo's , inlaws etc to inspect.

4) Say they want to buy it.

5) YOU MUST SIGN A SALES AGREEMENT!

6) Unfortunately the buyers uncles cat died in The UK. They are returning to help the family come to grips with it.

7) But we have your listing :)

Peter + Gee,

Its been a while since Ive read the trade practices act but Im pretty sure this would come under the bait and switch section of the act...

Hi there.

I had a similar experience when I was looking for a property in Gladstone. I gave the agents specific suburbs, property types, age of property etc, and one agent still continued to show me a range of houses that didn't even come close to my requirements. It certainly is alot of time wasted, by everyone.

Honestly I can relate to everyone's pain om this subject.. I have been spending the best part of this week ringing and visiting agents. I dont know why half of these people decided to go into the business frankly.
Out of several only two asked me what I was looking for asked for my phone no or offered to contact me. On Saturday afternoon the majority of offices
were shut- I would have thought Saturday afternoon was the only time some people have to look for a house.Ask 'em over the phone if the property you're
interested in has nearby public transport for instance and usually they have no idea.( er-um not sure is the most likely response) Ok drag out the old refidex and check everything out,-- scratch the house off the list. next agent.
Oh our agent is at a meeting she'll call you back-- oh yeah, never happens.
The calls to mobiles mounts up and up.By this time I want to break something or cry or both.

Back