NSW Central Coast

i think the fundamental and quite simple problem with the central coast is that its 1 1/2 hrs+ from sydney and its cheap

people only buy there because its much cheaper than the northern beaches and cop the commute as the tradeoff. some people buy there as thats all they can afford and its nicer than mount druitt i guess

they arent great reasons to buy there imho

i think the fundamental and quite simple problem with the central coast is that its 1 1/2 hrs+ from sydney and its cheap

people only buy there because its much cheaper than the northern beaches and cop the commute as the tradeoff. some people buy there as thats all they can afford and its nicer than mount druitt i guess

they arent great reasons to buy there imho

Such broad sweeping statements.

The Central Coast is not made up entirely of people moving from Sydney you know.

There are locals and there are country people moved there as well as those you mention.
For some it's an increase of price and some a decrease.

I moved there for the beaches/scenery, cruisy lifestyle, and it's proximity to Sydney. Had 12 great years working and having fun and capitalised in the last few years picking up IP's which are now serving us very well.

There are also quite a lot of wealthy professionals and tradies based around here.

It's not just lower paid workers commuting to Sydney.

the fence good to hear you like living there

i didnt say the only people who move there are folk priced out of sydney - but they would be a very large proportion

the point i was trying to make is just because its cheap dosent make the area a great area to invest in property - perhaps due to the reason why it is cheap?

anyway each to their own if you have made some money there then good for you

So, cheap means you cant make $$ investing there..?

Whats cheap about Terrigal and Avoca, Copa, St Huberts, Point Frederick etc etc....?

i didnt say you cant make money there.

i said the reason why the prices arent high on the central coast are the reasons why i wouldnt invest my money there

im sure you can have a great lifestyle if your retired or dont work

So, cheap means you cant make $$ investing there..?

Whats cheap about Terrigal and Avoca, Copa, St Huberts, Point Frederick etc etc....?

And pearl beach , booker bay .......

My recollection from the last cycle is that everyone I knew made most of their money buying cheap properties and selling them when they were less cheap ...

A 100 % gain is 100% where ever you start from .

Cliff

i didnt say you cant make money there.

i said the reason why the prices arent high on the central coast are the reasons why i wouldnt invest my money there

im sure you can have a great lifestyle if your retired or dont work

Nice and affordable http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-avoca+beach-109055126

Yep. Could easily get this without working http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-hardys+bay-112110467

Just down the road from Gosford. You can bet all your neighbours have never worked http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-point+frederick-111481283

Caution. Dole Scum ahead http://www.realestate.com.au/property-acreage+semi+rural-nsw-matcham-107188855

whats your point? theres places over $1 mill on the central coast?

theres places worth over $20 mill+ across the hawkesbury river at palmy and whale beach

why because thats where people want to be

My experience is knowing many Sydney folk who have the holiday/weekender on the coast because they dont want to be in Sydney or their Northern beaches homes when not working.

Quite a large proportion at that!

Whats your point SF ?

My experience is knowing many Sydney folk who have the holiday/weekender on the coast because they dont want to be in Sydney or their Northern beaches homes when not working.

Quite a large proportion at that!

Whats your point SF ?

We've made that move. Skipped central coast and went to a quiet little place called north arm cove , because its different .

I didn't want to switch one type of suburbia to another .

We have dolphins off the back yard and kangaroos in the street .

.......sigh .......

If you took the not buying cheap property arguement to its ridiculous extreme everyone would buy waterfront in the eastern suburbs , but there's probably not many who could do that :)

Cliff

We have dolphins off the back yard and kangaroos in the street .

.......sigh .......

dont forget the great whites.....sigh......

Yes nice spot there on the Port Stephens. A little too many trees for my liking at Nth Arm Cove though, bit fire risky. But certainly relaxing and cruisy.

Well done Cliff.;)

Yes nice spot there on the Port Stephens. A little too many trees for my liking at Nth Arm Cove though, bit fire risky. But certainly relaxing and cruisy.

Well done Cliff.;)

I like the trees

No problems with the fire . Had a fire inspection from the local reserves within a month of moving in . Safe as can be .

If we cant drive out , we've got some kayaks by the water and we'll paddle off shore ....

To the best of my knowledge they've never lost a house there to fire .

Having said that one week after moving into pymble we were packing the photos up as a fire got to within 100 m of our house , and in wahroonga we live in the middle of a blue gum Forrest in a buffer risk zone . Interestingly half our house is at high risk of a bush fire but the other half is at less of a risk ....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cliff

For what it's worth, I don't particularity like the Central Coast to live in. It's very suburban and middle of the road, which is great if you want that, but it's not what I want at this point in my life.

But the point is that there are very wide ranging demographics, and you can't just write it off as being only poor people who can't afford to live in Sydney.

Well done Cliff.;)

Yes ... Great white . Last recorded shark attack , non fatal , was in port Stephens , around about five years ago .

To put things into perspective I did some research when we bought .

Each year in NSW around 100 people drown . I remember one weekend around about 2 years ago when six people drowned in boating accidents around sydney .
I always have a life jacket when I got out with the great whites ...:D

Cliff

For what it's worth, I don't particularity like the Central Coast to live in. It's very suburban and middle of the road, which is great if you want that, but it's not what I want at this point in my life.

But the point is that there are very wide ranging demographics, and you can't just write it off as being only poor people who can't afford to live in Sydney.

i didnt write it off as being only for poor people. im not sure why you started posted links to a few $1m + properties

the point i raised was the areas cheap for a reason, and for that reason i personally wouldnt invest there

if you do and you make money thats great

i didnt write it off as being only for poor people. im not sure why you started posted links to a few $1m + properties

the point i raised was the areas cheap for a reason, and for that reason i personally wouldnt invest there

I believe that they were posted to show that there is expensive properties as well...

You have said that it's cheap for a reason, but only said its 1 1/2 hours from Sydney... What other reasons have you looked at?

Or do you believe because it's cheap its a bad investment?

I don't get your statement?

Have you actually done research on the area?

sports fan,

You do realise there are over 320,000 residents on the central coast, it's no small town.

There are close to 50,000 residents who commute to Sydney every day for work.

It takes a bit over an hour to get to Sydney from Gosford, which is only slightly quicker than getting to the city from Penrith.

By your argument, a little over a year ago when properties were cheap out in western Sydney they were not good value because prices were low and no-one wants to live there.

Traditionally big price rises in Sydney mean price increases in areas around 1 hour from Sydney, usually 6 months after the initial increases in the metropolitan area.

So in fact if you like the coast for an investment area, then now is a good time to buy.

Would you rather purchase a house in western Sydney now after prices have already gone up by 10%, when other areas are much cheaper in comparison with similar commutable distances.

I think the lifestyle on the coast is an absolute major drawcard over western Sydney. You can commute to work during the week, and on weekend are only 5 mins away from pristine beaches.

If you actually read the thread then you would see that myself and other people have been discussing potential growth projects in the region and the property prices in comparison to other areas.

Spot on ....unfortunately most investors are amateurs and do not have this level of foresight.

I am told by a friend the market is moving already...not as hot as Sydney...but the pace is gathering.;)

sports fan,

You do realise there are over 320,000 residents on the central coast, it's no small town.

There are close to 50,000 residents who commute to Sydney every day for work.

It takes a bit over an hour to get to Sydney from Gosford, which is only slightly quicker than getting to the city from Penrith.

By your argument, a little over a year ago when properties were cheap out in western Sydney they were not good value because prices were low and no-one wants to live there.

Traditionally big price rises in Sydney mean price increases in areas around 1 hour from Sydney, usually 6 months after the initial increases in the metropolitan area.

So in fact if you like the coast for an investment area, then now is a good time to buy.

Would you rather purchase a house in western Sydney now after prices have already gone up by 10%, when other areas are much cheaper in comparison with similar commutable distances.

I think the lifestyle on the coast is an absolute major drawcard over western Sydney. You can commute to work during the week, and on weekend are only 5 mins away from pristine beaches.

If you actually read the thread then you would see that myself and other people have been discussing potential growth projects in the region and the property prices in comparison to other areas.

Back