NSW Granny flat approval in 10 days

Hey folks,

Still no answer from council or NSW Planning re my questions.

What do you think of my Granny flat 1br design? 60sqm on the dot.

Attachments

• Granny flat 1 bed.doc
    33 KB · Views: 322
Hey folks,

Just my personal view but I think that design could be more space efficient. Line the kitchen against the wall (not U) so there's no designated dining area. It will be an open plan area which will look larger. Tenants can worry about where dining, couch etc goes.

Just my personal view but I think that design could be more space efficient. Line the kitchen against the wall (not U) so there's no designated dining area. It will be an open plan area which will look larger. Tenants can worry about where dining, couch etc goes.

Fair call HG, There is no wall on the U side. It would/could be a breakfast bar set up. Saying that, corner cupboards are inefficient.

Here it is with the change - and the robe doors for Prop. :)

Attachments

• Granny 2.doc
    32 KB · Views: 250
Just thinking

How do you think councils will react to building a dual oc on a property that already has a granny flat attached to the existing residence.

Cheers

Just thinking

How do you think councils will react to building a dual oc on a property that already has a granny flat attached to the existing residence.

Cheers

From the article:

Granny flats are now permitted in all residential
zones across the State, subject to meeting the
following requirements:
• There is only one house and one granny flat
on the lot

From the article:

Not good for me. The granny flat was built in 1982 so i hope that changes things. If not looks like i may be making the granny flat a art studio in the interim;) Or i go the subdivision path instead of dual oc. To a town planner i go.

Okay folks,
Here is the response from council regarding a few of my questions. They have not answered the question on stormwater retention and I have asked them to address it for me.

As far as S 94 contributions goes, there has been no reference in the SEPP to state that contributions do not apply so we would still calculate fees dependant on the number of rooms etc, this would roughly come to about $15,000 for a 1 bedroom flat. I believe you could run separate water and electricity to the granny flat, similar to a dual occupancy. If looking to convert part of your house to a granny flat then the building class would be Class 2 for certification purposes and would require suitable fire rating between the floors.

Not good news on the contributions eh. :mad:
If they want more affordable housing they need to make it more affordable for developers IMO. The illegal rentals will continue to be created if the contributions are still enforced.
Despite this it appears that a few planning measures have improved

1) no need for extra private open space
2) no need for extra car parking
3) can now put a house + a flat on blocks down to 450sqm
4)?? maybe no stormwater retention??

It's City of Ryde council. Are they easy to work with? Anyone had any problems with Ryde council?

Hi Pat82,

I'm not an investor (though hope to be soon). I live in Ryde. From my limited experience Ryde is a very difficult council to get approvals through.

I'm very excited about the granny flat legislation. Let me know if you end up in buying in Ryde as I want to do something similar. I think Ryde has a lot going for it. West Ryde & North Ryde are probably better priced.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Pat82,

I'm not an investor (though hope to be soon). I live in Ryde. From my limited experience Ryde is a very difficult council to get approvals through.

I'm very excited about the granny flat legislation. Let me know if you end up in buying in Ryde as I want to do something similar. I think Ryde has a lot going for it. West Ryde & North Ryde are probably better priced.

Regards,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

I recently brought at the City of Ryde council area. It's a brick veneer on a 570 sqm block with pool at the back. There's no way of building a granny flat without removing the pool :(

I was going to buy an old weatherboard on a 780 block and build a boarding house at front and GF/office at back, but the property sold to another couple in auction.

I spoke with the town planners at Ryde Council in Aug 09. They had no idea about the new GF rule... They did promise me they will read up on it....The planner I spoke with did sound keen about the new rule and said it's about time we do something to address housing affordability.

-Patrick

So why wasn't this done 7 years ago?

It was in 1990.

NSW has very relaxed "granny flat" rules which lead to massive dual occs going onto many new home estates. It was planned for infill of older suburbs. I know as I was designing them for clients. In one estate in northern NSW, 80% of the new lots went dual occ.

But it went too far and eventually it was phased down by the Libs and then out by the Labour Gov. Other than the social issues, it put massive stress on infrastruture (sewer, water, etc). Some Councils took on the Gov and made it very hard (read banned).

Those first in will win. Lucky for me my IP in NSW is in high density CBD. No room for granny flats there! Already maxed out.

Peter

Hey folks,

Speaking from 20 years experience designing homes.

Put the wm in cpd in the hall - less tiling. Consider front loader in kitchen you supply.
Dump the Ldry tub for a pipe. Small house needs no tub, use sink.
Dump bath for shr. takes space and Granny dont want them - fear of falling. Young uns dont care.
Make the view the focus. Small spaces need to open to decks and feel larger.

Some thoughts. Overall, the design needs to address the location.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

The flat wouldn't be for a granny. More likely a single working person. The shower is over the bath - just not shown on plan. We have the same bathroom set up in our downstairs flat and it works very well so I can't see the benefit of your suggestions - but I respect the input. Let the wet areas be all in one as tiles are cheap and an added laundry cupboard seems like more work- not keen on the idea of wm in the kitchen - seems like one is being too space conscious. :)

Back