Obama Wins!

John McCain is expected to emerge shortly from the Arizona Biltmore and admit defeat in the US election, making Barack Obama the 44th president of the US.

- Obama wins US election
- First black US president
- McCain to emerge shortly
'Obama wins': lead 'unbeatable'

Fairfax US analyst Bruce Wolpe calls it. Barack Obama wins the US presidential election as his lead becomes insurmountable.

Senator Obama has made history today by becoming the first black president of the US after gaining ground in key Republican Party strongholds.

Partial results show Senator Obama has won the crucial battleground state of Ohio and is leading in Florida, two states that President George Bush won in 2004.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election-2008/historic-victory-for-barack-obama-20081105-5hzx.html

i just said in another thread that it will be interesting to see middle america's reaction across the central states.

at present (13:20 WDST) the lead is obama 333 mccain 156.

Awesome!!

It is a long journey in history from slavery to the oval office. I feel both grateful and humbled, to be witnessing this end of such a historic journey.

Great result!

Obama was the candidate for Hope! And hope is exactly what Americans need right now. That can readily turn the depressed US consumer into an optimistic market participant again and help address the falling US economy.

Don't underestimate the power of emotions.

Cheers,
Michael

Fantastic! Good riddance to George Dubya..

I truly believe that bloke can change America and how it is percieved. The US may not be the super power it once was....but it will remain a substantial power....along side China, India, and Russia! :D

Cheers
Sash

maybe Obama can talk to the terrorists and say i know how you feel they use to treat us like this too, and create rapport and get them to leave the americans alone..

lol

i feel the better man won ... but can't help but wonder how soon a neo nazi red neck will take a pot shot at him.

this is gonna confuse the hell out of terrorists. It was a lot easier to rail against an old white man, now what?

maybe Obama can talk to the terrorists and say i know how you feel they use to treat us like this too, and create rapport and get them to leave the americans alone..

lol

Fingers crossed. However I don't think that the enemies of the US are ready to smoke the piece pipe because the US has elected Obama. I agree with Joe Biden, he'll be tested very very early in his presidency.

On a lighter note, its the best result for the US. You couldn't continue with the same failed policies. They are in substantial debt, unpopular war, deep recession, falling homes and stock prices.........I just hope he has smart people around him...

Awesome!!

It is a long journey in history from slavery to the oval office. I feel both grateful and humbled, to be witnessing this end of such a historic journey.

Yes, yes. And from one who saw the activities of the KKK in the sixties, the murders of people including just because they were black, and no punishment for the offenders; the 'white schools' of the deep south - not that many years ago, this is truly an historic journey.

I have just listened to his acceptance speech. He is a true orator, he empowers people to make change. A truly inspirational speech. Once people believe there is a way forward, then it will happen. A man of vision and values. America needed to be proud of their President after the last 8 years of Dubya, now they have their chance.

Yes, yes. And from one who saw the activities of the KKK in the sixties, the murders of people including just because they were black, and no punishment for the offenders; the 'white schools' of the deep south - not that many years ago, this is truly an historic journey.

I have just listened to his acceptance speech. He is a true orator, he empowers people to make change. A truly inspirational speech. Once people believe there is a way forward, then it will happen. A man of vision and values. America needed to be proud of their President after the last 8 years of Dubya, now they have their chance.

got a link to the speech?

I think the Secret Service will be doing a clean out of these organisations in the next few weeks. I am sure they are already monitoring like any other crazy fringe group.

Will be interesting to see.....but I think Obama will be better protected than other president in history!! They also don't want to be embarrassed again.

i feel the better man won ... but can't help but wonder how soon a neo nazi red neck will take a pot shot at him.

This is amazing...

a black president in the US. This is fantastic.

I was interested to see that we too had a significant event in 'The Apology' this year.

It is great to see that for people of non-anglo saxon background that fair treatment is starting to become a reality.

I am humbled and amazed.

The things I never expected to see in my lifetime.

The Berlin wall coming down.

The collapes of Communism in Eastern Europe.

Peaceful majority rule in South Africa.

An African American president.

"I have a dream..."

Sadly I think you're right. Still a hell of a lot of rednecks in middle america. Just have to hope when they attempt it they're not successful.

Obama already received SS protection much earlier than any previous candidate. The SS know what danger he'll be in and I'm sure will act as best they can. Problem is, as even JFK once said; all someone needs is a willingness to trade their life for the President and..... :(

Back