OECD report says australian private schools offer no accademic advantage

Haven't put a whole heap of thought into the private v public school system yet as don't have any children.

I went to private primary school then a public high school.

At this stage my thoughts is that children will be going to public school, but would be looking at elite public schools.

she is putting her kids into a private school, not for the education, but for the people that go there,the opportunity to make contacts, network and meet the right people

A bit of a silly reason but good luck to her. The only issue is if said kid's friends want to go to an overseas trip and your daughter/son has to fly economy while the others fly first class/business or even worse, if they can't even go.

obviosuly rich, famous, well connected, succesfful parents, so her kids can go down the similar path, and hang out with the right crowd, and its not about the education.

Rich and famous children don't hang out with the ordinary folk.

Wow Aaron. Are you winding us up?

I'd have to agree with Aaron on this one.

The fact is in the end you could no doubt make sure you are in a position to provide guarantors for your children and put them through private schooling. Even if it's a 2nd tier non ivy league private school, the benefits are there.

It's the same reason in any part of life, you surround yourself with the best and most successful people and you'll general follow a similar trend. Same goes for schooling, the statistics in that OECD report show that private schools significantly outperform public schools.

a recent conversation I had with a parent who wasnt rich, which I hadnt considered before and could be true, could be not

she is putting her kids into a private school, not for the education, but for the people that go there,the opportunity to make contacts, network and meet the right people

obviosuly rich, famous, well connected, succesfful parents, so her kids can go down the similar path, and hang out with the right crowd, and its not about the education.

discuss

I have heard this before, what a silly notion, and what does that tell you about the mentality of these people????

This is very timely as we're almost about to apply for secondary schools for my son. Talking to different parents, the "view" is that private and semi-private (catholic etc...) has more discipline than public. Obviously, it will depend entirely what schools you compare with.

We're trying to get our kids into a Catholic school. So, it's in between Private and public (with the cost). In our view, in early years, discipline needs to come first (than education). If they have that, then they hopefully will have discipline to do well in studies/sports and other things in life. I strongly believe that who they hang out will make or break their lives (As I have seen it happened to my friends kids as well as my school friends). So, we're paying close attention to who they hang out with in school as much as we can.

Ah Esel, you might been hoping everybody on a property forum would say, 'Yes, I agree, forget school, help them get a house.'
This is a very narrow study. The link is broken, but was it the one that said kids in private schools do more homework than kids in public schools for no apparent benefit? My 14 year old will gleefully tell me all about that when she gets home - there would have been plenty of chatter about it at school today (private school kids often talk about stuff in the news).
I will say, 'Yep, I agree.' There will be a stunned silence, and I will say, 'Just kidding. Let's knock over that geography assignment we started last night.'

That's annoying about the link. I don't visit this site very often so I'm not familiar with how to post a link. I had a go, maybe someone else can work it out. Here's the link cut and pasted

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...emic-advantage-says-oecd-20140909-10eghr.html

No, I didn't think everyone would agree with me. I assume this forum is a bit more conservative than my usual circles. I did think that a lot of posters on a forum like this would admit that they were using private school to buy academic advantage, and so might be interested that the data shows this isn't the case. I also thought that being a forum full of analytical, investor types, that they/you lot (I don't have an IP - yet) would be interested in crunching the numbers.

In other parts of the forum people are very rational and logical with their financial decisions, so I'm interested in people's very anecdotal, emotive responses to this topic and private education in general. I disagree that the study is limited. it's findings are compatible with other studies on educational outcomes.

I'm actually a teacher who has worked in both systems so I'm probably just stirring the pot a bit here.

This is the key:

I would say it needs to be more that 'decent', though. Esel, if you are in the area for a great public school, you're set. I'm not.

Totally agree.

Where we lived previously, Junior went to a public primary school - and we had plans for her to try out for a couple of the elite public high schools - but even then, the run of the mill public high school would have been fine. The quality of the public schools was high (I expect due to the area) with a well rounded education.

The same high school her, now adult, half sisters went to. All went onto uni and good careers - and I agree that a good percentage of that self-discipline came from good adult role models.

But we moved.

The quality of the public schools in the area we are now in is very low. Many of the kids have poor parental role models with high pension and drug usage.

Anyone with a brass razzo to rub together sends their kids private here ... and we're lucky ... the private school costs only around $4-5,000 year (slightly higher in senior years) - which covers all excursions, equipment and laptop computers.

The kids just got back from a trip to Bathurst, not long ago they spent a day at Treetops, Canberra last year, often going to the city to watch performances, covers music instrument hire etc ... which works out not much more than forever dipping a hand in the pocket for a public school.

Even those on a low income - but with high ethics - scrape together the money to send their kids there.

As for the drugs ... sure ... there are drugs in the private schools. A couple of kids got caught smoking pot on the footy field at juniors private school only a few months back. The difference is that the drug kids can get kicked out permanently ... at a public school they can be suspended for a few days but then have to be let back in, drugs and all.

I think it's worth every cent.

the statistics in that OECD report show that private schools significantly outperform public schools.

Nope. The stats show that wealthy kids do better than poor kids. Put the wealthy kids in a gov school and the stats say they will achieve the same.

Esel

Do you have children yet?

At the end of the day it will come back to what you value, what sort of children you wish to raise and which school is best going to support those values.

I have heard this before, what a silly notion, and what does that tell you about the mentality of these people????

I do agree its a bit on the silly side,

but ive heard this alot in europe and the states,

its not about teh education, you pay top $$ to hang around the right people,
maybe it more applies to certain fields

I read an article a few weeks ago (Sydney moaning Herald) that although kids who have attended a private school were more likely to have completed a degree, there were no discernable difference between the cohorts on career progression once they have entered the workforce.

Totally agree.

Where we lived previously, Junior went to a public primary school - and we had plans for her to try out for a couple of the elite public high schools - but even then, the run of the mill public high school would have been fine. The quality of the public schools was high (I expect due to the area) with a well rounded education

Yes, I mentioned this as a way of saving money on a recent thread, make sure your primary residence is in a good public school catchment area.

I think I got told I was a bad person for even considering this.:rolleyes:

MTR:)

one of my good friends went to Frankston secondary or there abouts, quite a smart guy, studied moderately hard in my eyes, probably very hard in his schools standards, ended up getting a TER of 99.8,

even he has absolutely no idea how he did it,

on the other hand, I have friends who id say are smarter and got low to mid 90s and they went to top private schools, and other elite government schools and they worked fairly hard too

half of me says, if you are dedicated, then you will do well, regardless of how bad the school is

the other half of me says , if your teachers are crap, support systems are crap, facilites are crap, systems are crap, class mates are egging you on daily to share a joint, at sometime its going to affect any human being

I'm actually a teacher who has worked in both systems so I'm probably just stirring the pot a bit here.

What do you think with your parent hat on?
What do you think with your teacher hat on?
What do you think with your investor hat on?

Just like choosing a high yielding, high CG, under market value IP.

Yes, I mentioned this as a way of saving money on a recent thread, make sure your primary residence is in a good public school catchment area.

I think I got told I was a bad person for even considering this.:rolleyes:

MTR:)

There was an article in the Canberra Times a few days ago of parents doing fraud by getting other people to change their utility bills to add their name on to it so they could get into the catchment area of a better public school :p

I do agree its a bit on the silly side,

but ive heard this alot in europe and the states,

its not about teh education, you pay top $$ to hang around the right people,
maybe it more applies to certain fields

Well perhaps this is the slow way and there are better options and parents can save a few $.

Place an advert in the paper asking for "a rich partner", in fact in USA they have millionaire dating clubs, just as silly but hey if this is all they consider, how much someone can make, this is certainly an easier option.

There was an article in the Canberra Times a few days ago of parents doing fraud by getting other people to change their utility bills to add their name on to it so they could get into the catchment area of a better public school :p

Happens all the time, I know people who have done this. I also know someone who uses her brother's address so her children could go to a public school in a particular catchment area.

I also know someone who just purchased a 1 bedder and used that as their mailing address.

Back