Old AirCon about to pack it in, what are my obligations?

Hi Everyone,

One of my properties has an old air con unit, the style that fits in a window space (the unit itself, not just a hose or the like). This unit is going to pack it in soon and I don't know if I'll be able to get it repaired. Even if I can, it will probably cost a fortune.

I could get a new unit installed, but not the same style and not in the same place. This would also come at a big cost.

Legally, what do I have to do if the unit packs it in and I can't get it fixed? I live in Victoria.

Cheers.

Hi Suparex,

I havent been able find anyone willing to work on those box A/Cs - its usually just a case of toss & replace. You should be able to put a new box A/C in where the old one is if you don't have a lot of money atm but either way, you do need to replace the airconditioner when the existing one dies.

Kind regards,
Jody.

As others have said, unless your tenancy agreement particularly states that the air-conditioning is excluded, you have to repair or replace. Those window units are usually only about $300 to replace, though obviously - as you said - if you can't get a replacement to fit into the hole it may cost substantially more.

Too late now, I know, but if you have items that you don't wish to maintain during a tenancy, it has to be addressed prior to entering a lease.

A tenant put their own ac unit in one of our properties. It was still left there by mistake after they moved out. We didnt even know about it. After they moved out the house was let again. We got a call from our PM to say that it wasnt working, and replied that there is no ac, we dont know of one, and dont wish to leave it there. The PM informed us that it was there when we rented it, now we must fix or replace! We had it fixed, now we have our fingers crossed that it doesn't pack it in again!

A tenant put their own ac unit in one of our properties. It was still left there by mistake after they moved out. We didnt even know about it. After they moved out the house was let again.
Did the PM not notice, or was it a different agency?

It was my fault, friends stayed for 5 years, they installed the ac, we didn't even notice it! I had to have it fixed, now the tenant has a wonderful ac which I didn't factor in!

It was my fault, friends stayed for 5 years, they installed the ac, we didn't even notice it! I had to have it fixed, now the tenant has a wonderful ac which I didn't factor in!
Oh well... I guess you got a free a/c. :)

Edit: make sure you claim the depreciation on it!

Back