Opinions on Chinchilla QLD

I have a client who is in the process of purchasing a property in Chinchilla QLD and is talking it up, next boom town etc.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

No personal experience, however I think the timing is completely wrong, mining cycle has now changed, imo high risk especially if you can not rent the property.

I notice plenty of properties for sale, none under offer and also over 64 rentals, that's a worry.

MTR

My friend lives and invests there so I was questioning her about a year ago. She thought most of the growth had occurred already and suggested another mining town she had moved onto to build/invest in.

I have a client who is in the process of purchasing a property in Chinchilla QLD and is talking it up, next boom town etc.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

I think they may have missed the boat. I have a IP in Chinchilla so I keep an ear to the ground and haven't heard any reasons why property values would be heading north lately. There are plenty of sprukers talking it up however (like normal they are the ones selling house and land packages).. It's almost exact opposite to what my PM is telling me.

My opinion of course, good luck.

Last edited:
It's not remote enough to see gains like there have been in WA

Yes if you bought 5 years ago you would be laughing but I can't see it being repeated. Developers are all over the mining town boom now and it has ruined it for switched on investors. They are also taking your average mum and dad investor for a ride
I can't believe councils let all the development go on. Surely they can see its a very dangerous thing to do. In effect they are building hundreds of houses for people who don't even want to live there

Just wait for the capitals to take off . Developers move back to the city.
Hopefully next time round the councils will have learnt their lesson

Also about the rentals

64 In a town of 5 - 10,000? Is oversupplied. When it gets down to 10 then you might think that now is the time to get in (assuming there aren't more new houses coming)

Thanks the replies so far and it is confirming my initial concerns without knowing or researching the area in question.

He hasn't put "pen to paper" yet but would rather him proceed (or not) with a different perspective than the one he has been presented with!

Same boat in Singleton nsw, Mining boom = every developer and his dog run in, I bet there is a lot of them hurting now.

Mmmmm

Well if I was to listen to everyone here I would get depressed and hang my self , but I'm glad I have all the information on the contracts that have been signed that are going to take place in the region in 2014 onwards.

I'm glad I know McDonald's r being built there in which I would know they have done there research and also know something is going on. I'm glad I know the airport is being upgraded for what is being planned ahead.

I'm glad I have the web sights of all the companies that are moving into the region and what there doing there and for how long. I'm glad I have information from the council about future housing in the area.

And I'm glad I don't listen to those who have no research to back up anything they r saying.

And no I'm not a salesman I'm a person who uses wisdom and searches out a matter before jumping on everyone else's doom and gloom.

Best wishes

One post in the forum and your name is engry...... Are you sure your not a developer?
Sorry if you not but you'll have to give us some back ground. What's you interest in the area do you have property there? Are you willing to share your info?? And McDonalds is already built there, Isn't it? Arrrrrrgh something is smelling fishy to me....

Mmmm

Jenko you don't need me to tell you anything because u said u have these people in the know. All I can say is they don't know a lot.

Hi I agree with Jenko there are a lot of builders moved into town and a lot of them are promising higher rents based on furnished properties without saying that is what their rental figures are based around. The furnished ones are actually harder to rent out than the unfurnished at times. Chinchilla also has its up and down times for renting and rentals are always high right now they will drop again around January also July is another good time to have a property on the market. We have 2 properties both doing well so far we have been lucky others haven't.
Chinchilla has got a long growth time with many energy companies moving in. There is also a lot of other investment going on in town Woolworths McDonalds KFC Subway Jamacia Blue 2 new petrol stations are some of the retail that have moved in most quite recent. There was a new purpose built motel as the accommodation already in town was overflowing. Plenty of industry also coming to the town so in some ways Energy is also right though yes dubious first post. House prices will never be high as it is not an isolated town not like Karratha or Moranbah and neither will rents so don't believe what you hear from developers instead contact the realestate agents both sales and property management to get the true picture of everything there are several in town to chose from.

Mmmmmmm

Yes my first post is very dubious , maybe I've just done a lot more research, wise people tend to do that, do u think that's why I might have a lot of information on it that I need considering I live in Perth and work on the docks.

Good luck people's

hi Energy

No need to take offence, nobody has said you have not done your research we actually go to town and talk to the agents and developers as it is only a 3 to 4 hour trip each way for us, so we were in and out when our properties were being built now its just for inspections. We have seen the town grow up and the staff levels in the real estate agents rise along with a couple of new ones in town too. We have seen changes in the property managers to as they came to grips with the way the town grew so fast.

Chinchilla is going to stay steady it will never be a Karratha or Moranbah and too be honest that's a good thing as it would spoil the town. We could have also bought in Miles for $100K a block of land but decided against miles as it didn't have the same feel about it and even though rentals are a bit higher there do not regret our decision one bit and glad we built a second property in Chinchilla instead. Both as I said earlier are doing well.

There are people trying to sell Chinchilla using unrealistic rental figures as a way to up sell the house and land packages. A few years ago there was 2 maybe 3 builders in town now its swamped all fighting for business in what ever way they can get it.

Yes there is a lot of energy companies moving in and unlike other mining towns people are being encouraged to stay and live there not just come and go. There is also agriculture, Solar, and much more to Chinchilla than just mines, so the town can and will survive. Lets face it Woolies moved in about 2 years ago McDonalds recently KFC and Subway I think have finally opened at least 1 if not both new petrol stations are open so yes they wouldn't be there if they didn't think the town would die after construction. Construction will be going on for a while, yes one may go down to production but there are others just starting in between so it will be there for some time one way or another. Production still needs workers just not so many as it is a different process I know my hubby works as a site manager catering for these guys. His site has just changed from construction to production over in WA so 4 on 1 off is now 2 on 1 off construction guys start moving out and more miners move in.

Good luck with your Investment, by the way who did you build with ??

Jean

That's why there coming

A$1.8 billion contract awarded for gas project
Local contractors and workers will reap the benefits of a A$1.8 billion deal between QGC Pty Limited and Australian company Thiess Pty Ltd for the construction of gas processing facilities in the Surat Basin.

The deal involves the construction of 18 field compression stations and four central processing plants to service QGC?s Queensland Curtis LNG Project by October 2014.

The agreement replaces and extends a A$325 million contract signed in February 2012 for construction of six field compression stations and one central processing plant.

The facilities, near Dalby, Chinchilla and Wandoan, will process gas which will be transported through an underground pipeline network to Gladstone, where the gas will be liquefied.

Thiess will increase the number of workers on the project from 1,000 to 2,600 by early 2014 as the contractor undertakes all civil, mechanical, piping, instrument and electrical work in constructing and pre-commissioning the facilities.

QCLNG Project Director Mitch Ingram said QGC and Thiess, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leighton Holdings Limited, were proud to be creating a further 1,600 jobs as well as providing opportunities for local communities to benefit wherever possible.

?This is a milestone contract which involves construction of the remaining gas processing facilities to have our LNG plant operating at capacity,? Mr Ingram said.

?More broadly this work will continue to provide opportunities for qualified local contractors to supply associated services, which increases the capacity of local industry.

?The contract also includes a plan that ensures local workers have access to jobs and training opportunities.?

About 12,000 people are working with QGC and its Queensland Curtis LNG Project. The company has invested more than A$14.9 billion since 2010, 64% of which ? or A$9.6 billion ? has gone to Queensland firms.

Under construction since 2010, the project will be the world?s first project to turn natural gas from coal seams into liquefied natural gas, or LNG.

The entire project is now about 65% complete and on track for both delivering first LNG in 2014 and meeting the US $20.4 billion budget.

Lolololololol

. There are 40 major infrastructure projects committed or
proposed in the Surat Basin, with an estimated value of close to $200
billion

. The projects are JUST BEGINNING and have life spans estimated
of between 30 and 250 years (so this is a boom with no bust in sight)

. 80% of these projects are within one hour's drive of the towns
of Chinchilla and Miles.

. Mining and Energy companies require their staff to live within
1 hour of their worksite.

. The mining and energy companies want their staff to be
comfortable and prefer homes with quality inclusions such as 6-zone air
conditioning

. The region is not reliant on one particular industry (unlike
other areas), meaning SECURITY for investors.

. The 11 major industries driving the boom are gas, coal, power,
solar, coal seam gas, water, liquefied natural gas (LNG), underground coal
gasification (UCG), agriculture, manufacturing and rail

. It's not just the 40 major projects, the 11 different
industries and the $200 billion dollars that impacts housing demands, it's
the flow-on affect of support services adding to the list of those
needing housing

. It is expected that 42,000 new workers will be required to
service the region

Like I said back up ur own knowledge with fact lololololol

Chinchilla is a regional town in the Surat Basin situated 294km West of Brisbane along the Warrego Highway with a population of around 6,500. It serves as the key health, educational, and entertainment area for the western end of the Basin. It has a major hospital, four schools, a TAFE, cultural centre and cinema, and an acquatics and sports centre.
There are approved liquid natural gas, (LNG) projects to bring 7,300 workers to the area. Chinchilla has already seen an influx of investors when in 2004, the $1.2bn Kogan Creek Power Station(KCPS) was approved. Investors rode a boom, as over 1,000 construction workers came to town. Accommodation was at a premium in a town with a population of around 6,500. Demand exceeded supply, and median house prices rose up to 25% pa for three years. This $1.2bn energy project contributed to the 11.9% average annual growth rate over the last 10 years to end of 2011.
Two of the largest infrastructure projects in the Surat Basin are the $15bn Queensland Curtis Island Liquefied Natural Gas (QCLNG) and the $20bn Australia Pacific Liquefied Natural Gas (APLNL) projects. They will involve a peak construction workforce of 6,500 in the Chinchilla region, dropping to a low of 1,400 over a four-year period.
You may think that you have missed that early boat, but there are plenty more sailing, with more than $8 billion in projects planned and committed to the Surat Basin. A further eight smaller, hundred million dollar plus projects mean that Chinchilla is still a prime investment opportunity. Three of the billion dollar projects are approved and now underway.

Back