opinions on lights, fans and ac's please!

:eek: I have to make a decision today as to what to include in a re-build of an old Queenslander. It is doing my head in. I would appreciate your opinions please, as landlords and 'house dwellers'.

All bedrooms and the living are having split system air cons. Should I also put fans? Would people just turn on the a/c if the weather is hot, and also the a/c's have a fan only function. What would you do?

It will add about $1000 to the cost of the house to put fans.

Louise

I would not put in fans in addition to aircon. As you wrote they can simpily select the fan option if needed.

I have to disagree. We have fans and airconditioners in all our Queensland properties, which include an old Queenslander. There are many times when there is little or no breeze or when it's a bit humid, but otherwise not too hot. The ceiling fans will get the air circulating and are (or so I've been told) cheaper than a/c to run. Also, if you turn on the a/c, you have to close the house up - with fans, you can leave the windows open.

Cheers
LynnH

I have lived in Darwin twice and Cairns once and I actually prefer fans as they are a good alternative option to air-conditioning. They are cheaper to run than AC and move the air around the room more naturally. My wife and I have both where we live and we rely more on the fans rather than AC.

My opinion is to put in the fans as well and be 'true' to the old girl.

Phil :)

I have lived in Darwin twice and Cairns once and I actually prefer fans as they are a good alternative option to air-conditioning. They are cheaper to run than AC and move the air around the room more naturally. My wife and I have both where we live and we rely more on the fans rather than AC.

Phil :)

I couldn't agree more. That was the first think that I added to the house in Gladstone, I have been here for 2 summer and have only had the AC on about twice, but the fans are used nearly every day...

ethereal,

Put in the fans - we always do and as others have said they get used more than the air con's and you don't have to close the place up.

Aimy

Are the rooms large enough to have both and still look good?
Yes, however if I put a fan, I can't put a single light fitting in the middle of the room, so I would also have downlights which are $40 each to install on top of the purchase price.

It will cost alot more to have fans and ac's, but I think I will do it anyway for the reasons you guys have outlined. I apreciate your comments:) Thankyou.

Louise

Yes, however if I put a fan, I can't put a single light fitting in the middle of the room, so I would also have downlights which are $40 each to install on top of the purchase price.
Louise

Louise,

Why not use a fan and oyster light combo? They are virtually the same price as a fan only and saves installing a downlight.

Aimy

For a rental, split in every room is overcapitalizing already.

I usually put a fan and light combo in every room and family room. I also put a split system in the master and the tv room/lounge.

For a rental, split in every room is overcapitalizing already.

It is very hot and humid here and many people work shift work with the mines and sleep during the day. Also, a high proportion of renters are not families with children, but adult workers sharing, so we have designed this house to suit, with all 3 double bedrooms having air con and tv points.

I will have a look at fan/light combos this morning.

Lou

Back