Ormond, McKinnon or Bentleigh

I am looking for a house for my family in the above three suburbs. Can anyone give me advice which suburb is better than other two? I am only going to buy a house in McKinnon School Zone.Thanks.

question's too general. You can refer back to some of the older posts that were asking similar sort of question to see what criteria you need before anyone can give you some constructive feedback/suggestions.

Anyhow, there really isn't too much difference between the 3 suburbs, just go for the cheapest ones. They are all well serviced by public transport, and are all considered "good" suburbs, so ripple effect will flow through easily. If you are looking at "leafyness", then it's McKinnon>Bentleigh>Ormond in my opinion.

In case of the school zone, then there will virtually be no difference for any property - they will all carry 50k+ (more like 100k+) premium to their surrounding dwellings.

Hi propMelb,
I live in McKinnon, after renting in Bentleigh East, both in the school zone. Go to the McKinnon School website and download the school zone map. Some agents will tell you houses are in the zone when they are not. My preference for suburbs is McKinnon, then Ormond (in the zone), Bentleigh and last East Bentleigh. The first three are all postcode3204 and East Bentleigh is 3165. There can be a price difference for sought after streets like Hall Street in Bentleigh and Anne or Rose in McKinnon.
McKinnon and Bentleigh have sections in the school zone that are close to the train stations (both zone 1 & 2) and bus routes.
The more expensive area is McKinnon Hill area, from North Rd to Mckinnon Rd and from Thomas St to Wheatley Rd.
I have daughters and we are half way between Southland and Chadstone, so shopping if fantastic. The local shops on Centre Rd are also great.
We purchased in 2006 and have seen significant capital growth, however I still believe the area will grow steadily of a long period of time. So much so, we have just bulldozed our house and are currently building a 40sq Metricon McMansion.

Cheers
PP:)

Hi propMelb,
The more expensive area is McKinnon Hill area, from North Rd to Mckinnon Rd and from Thomas St to Wheatley Rd.

Thanks Purple Patch, regarding to McKinnon Hill area, I found some streets belong to Ormond, and some streets are clolse to public cemetery, how do you think the prop in this Mckinnon Hill area close to memorial park? the price would be cheaper?

Median House Prices 1994-2005...

Just some (albeit a little older) statistics of median house prices, FYI:

ORMOND:.....1994 Median House Price: $193,500.........2004 MHP: $535,250.........Change: 177%

McKINNON:....1994: $174,500.............2004: $536,900.............208%

BENTLEIGH:....1994: $175,000............2004: $458,000............182%

Also, if people are interested here is a link to:

Frequently Asked Questions Relating to Valuer-General Victoria

http://www.land.vic.gov.au/Land/lcn...01DAC6F-4FF5582EDD1DD6B9CA256E5F0014C0EE?open

Quote excerpt from site:

"I require median prices over the last 10 years. Is this information available?
Yes, this information is available by the purchase of the publication Guide to Property Values in Victoria. For a copy of the latest edition, please order on-line, via email [email protected] or telephone (03) 8636 2456"

.....and

"Where can I purchase the publication “A Guide to Property Values”?

You can order your copy on-line or email [email protected] or phone (03) 8636 2456."

I have something else re this thread information about the top performing suburbs of Melbourne, 1994-2005...

I will load the pics and be back............:)

Bear with me.

Hi propMelb,
I am not sure which cemetery you are referring to! The one on North Road is outside the school zone.
What type of property are you looking for? If you want a family home, with children schooling from yr 1-12 there are three primary schools within the secondary school zone. There is a lot of demand for properties where you can walk to the schools and the station.
We are currently renting on McKinnon Rd, whilst we build, and there were over 200 inquiries for the property.
There are a lot of new apartment style developments going up close to the stations. This may be ok as there area has excellent parks and open areas.
Be prepared to pay good money as the area has fantastic schools, parks, shopping, restaurants and a few good watering holes.

Regards

Okay this is from the Sunday Herald-Sun, "Shifting Values" article by Andrea Moss (thankyou Andrea!).

Dated: September 18th 2005

The source of the statistics is the Victorian Valuer-General.

Top Performing Suburbs Across Melbourne 1994-2005.

Working from left to right the the figures represent:

1. Change 1994-2004 (%).......2. Growth PA (%).........3. Change 2003-2004 (%).........4. 2004 Median House Price

topsuburbs.JPG

PropMelb, your McKinnon is in Southeast. :)

NB: I am missing Southwest, West and Northwest....couldn't get it in frame, shot too big. Need to have daylight to get rest. Hope you can read it.

Hi Purple Patch,
I found one prop in Minette Ct, another in Thompson St. both are not far from cemetery.:(...any comment for it?

our obsession, very appreciate your article and statistics. I wish I can get one in this area.:)

propMelb:

May I know what's the main reason you are looking in this area? Close to city or good school or both?

Feilong,

3 reasons I am looking in this area.
1. not far from beach, I love to live in coastal area.
2. not far from CBD, I am working in City.
3. good school.
:)

Feilong,

3 reasons I am looking in this area.
1. not far from beach, I love to live in coastal area.
2. not far from CBD, I am working in City.
3. good school.
:)

Ok, cool, then definitely stay with these areas :) Because I was thinking, if you were only looking for good school, then Glen Waverley is a much cheaper option than McKinnon and Balwyn North, has a vibrant cafe culture and not that far away from city (but of course further compared to McKinnon). Although, once Eastlink is completed, it won't take long to get to beach (Patterson Lake, Frankston) from Glen Waverley either.

Ok, cool, then definitely stay with these areas :) Because I was thinking, if you were only looking for good school, then Glen Waverley is a much cheaper option than McKinnon and Balwyn North, has a vibrant cafe culture and not that far away from city (but of course further compared to McKinnon). Although, once Eastlink is completed, it won't take long to get to beach (Patterson Lake, Frankston) from Glen Waverley either.
For investment, I would be thinking of Glen.:)

For investment, I would be thinking of Glen.:)

actually, I think I would like to take back my word. Just had a look on re.com, really surprised that these areas probably attract similar price to the prime estate in GW (assuming the price tags attached are not massive underquotations), so location wise GW probably offers inferior value..

Hi propMelb,
Both Properties look fine, Thompson St would be my pick as it has an extra bedroom and separate living areas. It also has potential to add value through renovation. Minette Ct also potential to add value through renovation.
Both properties are at the far end of the school zone and Thompson Rd may be quieter being a little further away from North Rd and Thomas St. They are both near the tram line on Hawthorn Rd, as well as walking to the bus and train.
There is a great family doctors surgery on Thomas St near North Rd.

Regards

Property in McKinnon

I am looking for a house for my family in the above three suburbs. Can anyone give me advice which suburb is better than other two? I am only going to buy a house in McKinnon School Zone.Thanks.

I am living in McKinnon secondary college zone, literally a three minute walk away. My children have left school and some home as well and we are looking to sell our property of 20 years. If you have an interest I can email you some photos to look at.

Regards,

Peter Mattmann

Back