Our Night Of Terror

The problem is in this day and age if you injure a burgler, or your dog does, you will be in much bigger trouble with the law than the burlger will be.
Better to just ask them to leave in a threatening tone rather than actually harm them.

True. But try explaining that to the dog.
Better to hear some adrenaline junkie barking his/her head off and charging at the fence. Whole neighbourhood hysterically joins in. Then you tell dog to settle down in calm and commanding voice and if necessary go out to see what's going with 100% back up from riled up dog.
We really should praise them more for their barking.

The problem is in this day and age if you injure a burgler, or your dog does, you will be in much bigger trouble with the law than the burlger will be.
Better to just ask them to leave in a threatening tone rather than actually harm them.

maybe in NSW

when we had an intruder bailed up by my cattle and border, the police were pretty clear in what the possible outcomes would be............

ta
rolf

I'm wondering whether a handful of sand to the eyes followed by pounding with a blunt instrument may be a handy mixture. A small quantity of sand could be kept in a zip-lock bag in a drawer close to the bed.

I keep a few different blends of sand in my pocket depending on where I'm going. I use a coarser blend when I really need the grit to stick in the eyes of an attacker, like when I'm walking through a bad part of town. I keep a finer grind when I don't need to incapacitate as much as to confuse. I would recommend a finer grind for the bedside drawer.

There's lots of sand self defence tips at this sub reddit: /r/pocketsand/

pocket-sand.gif

Pocket+sand_6312d4_4702648.jpg

Holy puppy-dogs
I just saw this heading after posting mine and I can see it will be very insensitive. You poor guy, Hysteria, I hope you are not too badly hurt. I'll ask the mods to edit the heading on mine.

I was having a go at recent discussions by our new friend Freckle.
Best wishes

Holy puppy-dogs
I just saw this heading after posting mine and I can see it will be very insensitive. You poor guy, Hysteria, I hope you are not too badly hurt. I'll ask the mods to edit the heading on mine.

I was having a go at recent discussions by our new friend Freckle.
Best wishes

Thanks Angel, I didn't see your post so don't worry!

I had cut 3 tendons and think it was 2 nerves. No feeling in 3 fingers. I was still drugged up when the plastic surgeon told me the damage. I have an appointment in the morning to remove my bandages and splint. Will be 6 months of rehab to get things moving and still no guarantee of full movement or sensation.

The neighbours 4 doors down had a 16th bday party, the neighbours said they had a few bottles thrown in their yard. So looks like underage drunk idiots. Not very well supervised by the parents. I don't no them either but feel like going down to find out if they where their supervising or not.

The police have spoken to a few who were at the party but haven't given me to many details yet.
Would I be able to take any legal action if I knew who the offenders where or if the parents where supplying alcohol?

I look at it the other way ,both the gentlemen who live with other gentlemen on both side of us wanted their own privacy and security so we all went up 3.5 mts in a block wall both sides plus the front section, everything is locked safe,and iv'e talked to Barristers-Police about this
so if some one goes over the wall and trespass on the property and I have 2 dogs and they have not made a appointment then they are not there to say hello,, they are there for one reason and I have 5 ladies inside plus me,my dogs are my first line of defence and Australian bush Kelpies
go off like a cyclone when they smell fear,and it has happened a few times with someone trying to get back out with 2 kelpies hanging off their legs
while trying to scale the wall nothing happened they just run up the street
with the backside torn out of their pants..

Thanks Angel, I didn't see your post so don't worry!

I had cut 3 tendons and think it was 2 nerves. No feeling in 3 fingers. I was still drugged up when the plastic surgeon told me the damage. I have an appointment in the morning to remove my bandages and splint. Will be 6 months of rehab to get things moving and still no guarantee of full movement or sensation.

The neighbours 4 doors down had a 16th bday party, the neighbours said they had a few bottles thrown in their yard. So looks like underage drunk idiots. Not very well supervised by the parents. I don't no them either but feel like going down to find out if they where their supervising or not.

The police have spoken to a few who were at the party but haven't given me to many details yet.
Would I be able to take any legal action if I knew who the offenders where or if the parents where supplying alcohol?

Legal action for what? I know it scared the **** out of you but they didn't make you smash the glass in your door. That is your responsibility.

That's freaky. I too have had tendons cut in my right hand. It took seven months rehab but I have full use of my fingers and hand again. My situation was a sharp stone flung up from a rider mower. I was encouraged to sue the lady whose house was being mown, but I refused as it really was an accident, nothing evil. I had six weeks off work and I wasn't allowed to drive in that time. Your injury seems worse than mine though. Redcliffe hospital was awesome. Sorry, I cant answer the legalities of your situation though.

I trust you will have a full recovery. Best wishes.

Mate, you got to do what you got to do. Sounds like you handled yourself pretty well. Some do-gooders can be naive to world. Sounds like you've got a good grasp and the family is lucky to have you.

I believe a sawn off shot gun is effective as it sprays shot but probably won't kill. everybody should be armed to some degree. shoot first, answer questions later.

I believe a sawn off shot gun is effective as it sprays shot but probably won't kill. everybody should be armed to some degree. shoot first, answer questions later.

I saw a great sticker recently on a bloke's van that said 'There's nothing in here worth stealing that risks getting shot'.

Then find out it was a family member.

How did it work out for Oscar Pistorius?

Seriously ......

Don't get a gun .

Statistically guns are more likely to injure someone you love than the intruder.

If you had a gun, you'd probably be down at the police station being interviewed , rather than chating on the Internet and the rest of your life would revolve around THAT NIGHT ..

That's assuming you're not down at the local morgue on a slab , with your child is facing a life without parents .

Cliff

Last edited:
Seriously ......

Don't get a gun .

Statistically guns are more likely to injure someone you love than the intruder.

If you had a gun, you'd probably be down at the police station being interviewed , rather than chating on the Internet and the rest of your life would revolve around THAT NIGHT ..

That's assuming you're not down at the local morgue on a slab , with your child is facing a life without parents .

Cliff

Wise words.

Shoot first ask questions later?? Are you serious??

Do you have any idea how many innocent people die a year in American because of idiots having this thought process??

The incident is somewhat a blur and it made me think what would I do different?
What if I had a gun? Would I use it? I don't really recall hitting the door but my wife said I was acting and yelling like a man possessed.....a man protecting his family and home. I don't know how others would react in this situation but I hope it never happens again.

What would Pistorius do in this situation?

Back