Outside Toilet

I went to an open house today. Reasonably good condition property and price. The catch is the property has an outside toilet - distance approx. 6m from the back door and you have to go down the stairs at the back of the house and there is no path to the toilet.

The property is on septic. Mains town sewer is available but requires access through the neighbor's property. Current owners wanted to move toilet inside but the neighbor denied them access through their yard. Suffice to say they gave up rented the property and are now selling.

When the surrounding land was subdivided and sewer put in - it was optional for existing homes to connect. Neighbour bought and built and is saying bad luck.

Can the toilet be moved inside and just connected to the existing septic?

With a cosmetic reno plus moving the toilet inside I am confident of being able to manufacture equity. Is it too big a risk. Are these the too hard issues that turn most off, but are like diamonds to a switched on investor (not there yet).

The house also appears to have a clad roof. A metal covering that looks like tiles but is not. Anyone come across this? Is it there to hide something or were some 50s roves made like that? Will be going back for a closer look.

Decramastic tile or one of the similar brands. Horrible stuff rusts out faster than straight tin on the joints. Look for leak damage!

Easily damaged if walked on as well.

Moving the toilet inside or into a new addition is definitely possible. However I would check first with local council if you would have to upgrade the septic system to today's standards and get it in writing.

Back