Paint Glorious paint!

Does everyone have failsafe colours they uses in their rental properties, or do you take the time to get sample pots for each project?

Personally I am a fan of buying in bulking and using the same colour throughout the house ? mainly antique white USA (Dulux) .. I am thinking about branching out into hogsbristle quarter strength for the next whole house project.

Anyone else care to share their stock standard fail safe colour pallet?

Not sure that I would call going from Antique White to Hogsbristle quarter strength 'branching out'. Then again, people sometimes say unkind things about the colours I opt for.
When I do want something safe and inoffensive, I use Sienna Frost (Taubmans colour). Same as Antique White and Hogsbristle, I'd say.

I have buckets of Antique White USA I use on all my rental properties.

One standard colour for all. Probably should get an expert in though, my places look too clinical.

We generally use hogs bristle quartar. Looks great with white trim.

We are going to a light grey or off white next.

both suit so much furniture for the tenants.

Cheers

WillB

Does everyone have failsafe colours they uses in their rental properties, or do you take the time to get sample pots for each project?

Personally I am a fan of buying in bulking and using the same colour throughout the house ? mainly antique white USA (Dulux) .. I am thinking about branching out into hogsbristle quarter strength for the next whole house project.

Anyone else care to share their stock standard fail safe colour pallet?

Yes, vote antique white USA, use this for all wooden frames, doors, skirtings, can not beat it in a period home.
Possibly one the cheapest/effective ways to makeover a house ..... PAINT.

I personally think hogsbristle is now dated, damn it, took DH 1 year to finish a room.

Yes, vote antique white USA, use this for all wooden frames, doors, skirtings, can not beat it in a period home.
Possibly one the cheapest/effective ways to makeover a house ..... PAINT.

I personally think hogsbristle is now dated, damn it, took DH 1 year to finish a room.

I was thinking the hogs bristle was starting to date a bit also.. i have never been a huge fan.. but its so popular

I'd like to try something from the taumbans range, as i've found the quality is much better than dulux , i got caught last time trying to get taumbans tinted a dulux colour, it was terrible....10L of terrible

I use Vivid White or White on White for ceiling and trims
Hog Bristle Quarter for walls.

I have a preference of taubmans over dulux.... just not a fan of the chalky dulux 101 feel. Much prefer the silky smooth that comes with Taubmans endure or silk.

I am hopeless when it comes to selecting colours. A friend suggested hog bristle full strength for walls, hog bristle quarter strength for frames, doors, skirting etc and ceiling white for ceiling. And I am just following blindly. :mad: They look ok to me, but don't have any idea what others think. The houses are 1970s ones. And I used British Paints.

1. Is hog bristle full strength too dark for walls?
2. Is it ok to use same colour to walls and ceilings?
3. British Paints, taumbans or Dulux?

It would be great to hear from you all what colours you use for
1. ceiling
2. walls
3. frames, doors, skirting etc

I got a couple of houses to paint and I hope I select better colours utilizing the collective wisdom of this forum. :p

Another vote for Antique White USA - didn't realise it was so popular.

I originally bought it in Dulux but most recently had it mixed up at Velvet Paints in their house brand.

Only regret is that they convinced me to use a low gloss mix for the trim paint. I've seen a couple of places where they've used a glossier finish for trims and I reckon it gives it a bit of a wow factor.

I have a stash of hog bristle half for walls, ceiling white for ceilings and depending on what white paint i have available at the time will use that as well for trim etc and then go over it with a full gloss oil based enamel (oil based cos it lasts a lot longer and smooths itself out so you don't have to worry about brush marks).

I use hadrians paint, which is Dulux's budget brand and a lot cheaper for essentially the same paint

Another Hogsbristle fan here. I do 50% walls and 25% trim/frames.

The gwelup project uses Hogsbristle on the outside render as well in 400%, 200% and 100% strengths.

Its a good colour with some warmth to it.

Another Hog Bristle fan.
We use 1/4 strength on the walls and white trims. If we have a feature wall we use Warm Neutral.

We find it easier so you don't have lots of different colours for different houses. Saves money too as we just buy 20 litres and when it runs out just buy another. For repairs it's there. Easy.

Tenants like it because it's a warm colour.

For one fibro house- outside we used Hog Bristle full strength the 1/4 strength for the trims. The colours look lighter outside.

Singo- full strength would be too dark. You can use the same colour for the ceilings but it needs to be light. Lots of people don't like it but with the different light on the walls and ceilings it doesn't look like just one slab of colour. I've never done it though.

hey all,

i used antique white USA for my walls and a high gloss white for trim. hog bristle is nice but as other users have said its dated which is true, to me personally everyone is the same cause they are scared of branching out. everyones going the off white walls and white trim. #yawn

To me personally i hate dulux i reckon taubmans is far better and if i had more time with this reno i would have chosen a nicer colour and abetter pallette.

being different is better than being the same.

here is a pic

someone said feature walls are dated which is a joke and they also said wallpaper feature walls are in.

wall paper feature walls are such a massive fad!!!!!! i know alot of people agree with that.

brown is in at the moment aswell. that would go nice against a hog bristle

Early on I was using Bristol "Lady Fingers"
(Walls, ceilings, the lot)

Then moved on to "Antique White-USA"
(Walls only)

This morning, I was lashing out and using "Chalk-USA"
(Walls only)

Back