Painting- getting the colour right?

Hi, I've had a chat with our handyman, the Dulux colour shop and the colourist as we are repainting- but still unsure.

I'm hoping somebody can clarify this- we are using colour as its our PPOR.

1. Do you need to undercoat if the current paint is newish? the current colours are Mustard Yellow and Berkshire White, and I have chosen Lexicon Qtr which will be lighter) and a light blue. Is there much difference between 3 coats of paint vs undercoat + 2 coats

2. From the same sample pot, we have put 2 coats of a green-grey (with a handbrush) on a white (BW) plaster wall, and on a 1m square of white cardboard. The wall has gone grey, the cardboard green...our handyman thinks it will end up the wall colour, the Dulux guys the green due to our crappy brush-stroking.

Thank you for your help.

I would just put three coats of topcoat on it.

Paint colors change all the time,it depend on many things,the color beside it,color of the sky at the time,sun,moon,shades drawn,shades open,doors closed,doors open,how many coats,sheen level,interior light on,light off,

As you can see it isn't worth losing sleep over something that doesn't really matter,

Choose a color and paint it,it will change color a hundred times in 24 hours,are you going to be looking at it when your color turns up.:rolleyes:

The different substrate and its condition, you are putting the sample paint on will account for the difference in colour in what you are seeing. Don't be too concerned.

Having been painting on a few reno'ss over the past few years, paint colour will change all the time as pa1nter has mentioned, so don't be too concerned. Choose your colours, clean the walls, ceiling if necessary, and you will find there won't be any material difference between 1 undercoat plus 2 topcoats or 3 topcoats. I have generally gone with 1 + 2.

lDriver

Have painted a few ip's and 2 PPOR's and here are my 3 tips.

- Just make a decision, although it is for your PPOR you can put a bit on every wall/roof in every room and they will look a bit different
- When it comes to adding colours, you can never stir the paint enough. I made a bit that goes into my drill and it does a great job. If you don't stir it enough you will see streaks of colour if you don't fully mix the colour throughout
- buy 2 pieces of plaster board, put a layer of undercoat on them and every colour you use in the house put it on the plaster board with its exact name and any specific breakdowns. When you or your tenant ( I leave 1 at my IP's just in case they mark or damage the wall and feel the need to fix it) need to fix something and you have thrown all your old tins out it is impossible to match

Jezza

- buy 2 pieces of plaster board, put a layer of undercoat on them and every colour you use in the house put it on the plaster board with its exact name and any specific breakdowns. When you or your tenant ( I leave 1 at my IP's just in case they mark or damage the wall and feel the need to fix it) need to fix something and you have thrown all your old tins out it is impossible to match

Jezza

I just use the same colour scheme over and over :p We had an interior person do colours for our PPOR, i tweaked it by finding cheaper carpets and curtains/blnids in similar colour and have now used it on 3 IPs. I used same colour wall, ceiling, skirt, arc and door with doors and arcs in gloss.

We go 1+2, except over blue. That needs 1 coat of darker tinted undercoat, or in the bathroom where we went white we went 2+2 and you can still see some blue but I got sick of painting.

Back