Painting newly plastered walls

Hi,

I've just had some walls "hard" plastered (render + skim coat) and now need to paint them.

I've been told a couple of weeks to let the walls dry out should be fine but the longer you can leave them the better. Not sure what is fail safe?

I understand the first 2 coats should be done using watered down paint (about 20% water) as the plaster will soak up the paint more readily.

After this you can apply your top coat(s).

Has anyone had any experience doing this and does the above sound right to you? Would you recommend a tradesman do it?

Thanks

We only ever put a good sealer/undercoat, then 2 top coats. No need to wait, as soon as the stuff is dry you can do it.

Had a house gyprocked out recently and the guy said make sure you get
some paint on it soon.

Prep paint first coat followed by two top coats.

Got some great Australian paint called Brinlay that the independent paint
places have, about $110 for 20 litres.

Got mine from Toukley if anyone is local.

Hi,

I've just had some walls "hard" plastered (render + skim coat) and now need to paint them.

I've been told a couple of weeks to let the walls dry out should be fine but the longer you can leave them the better. Not sure what is fail safe?

I understand the first 2 coats should be done using watered down paint (about 20% water) as the plaster will soak up the paint more readily.

After this you can apply your top coat(s).

Has anyone had any experience doing this and does the above sound right to you? Would you recommend a tradesman do it?

Thanks
First coat should be no more watered down than 10%,eg: (10 litres = 1 litre water)This is a good quality paint,cheaper ones are already watered down :(
One coat is adequate after the plaster has dried (Two days is fine)sand smooth with 180 grit sandpaper,then apply two coats of top coat,
I believe anyone can do the job,maybe you do the prep then pay the tradesman to apply the finish coats and do the cutting in.;)

First coat should be no more watered down than 10%,eg: (10 litres = 1 litre water)This is a good quality paint,cheaper ones are already watered down :(
One coat is adequate after the plaster has dried (Two days is fine)sand smooth with 180 grit sandpaper,then apply two coats of top coat,
I believe anyone can do the job,maybe you do the prep then pay the tradesman to apply the finish coats and do the cutting in.;)

I was told at the paint shop that I needed to use a sealer binder on new skim coat, something like Dulux's Prepcoat Sealer Binder:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/preparation/product-detail?product=2228

Note the blurb about this product recommends waiting 1 month before application on new plaster:

"New Interior & Exterior Masonry: Allow new masonry and plaster surfaces to dry for at least one month after erection. Fill imperfections with a suitable filler, sand smooth and dust down."

I was told at the paint shop that I needed to use a sealer binder on new skim coat, something like Dulux's Prepcoat Sealer Binder:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/preparation/product-detail?product=2228

Note the blurb about this product recommends waiting 1 month before application on new plaster:

"New Interior & Exterior Masonry: Allow new masonry and plaster surfaces to dry for at least one month after erection. Fill imperfections with a suitable filler, sand smooth and dust down."
What happens after you fill imperfections with a suitable filler,do you have to wait one more month?:confused:
Seriously you have the sealers mixed up,the one you linked to was oil based.the one you need is http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/preparation/product-detail?product=2178

What happens after you fill imperfections with a suitable filler,do you have to wait one more month?:confused:
Seriously you have the sealers mixed up,the one you linked to was oil based.the one you need is http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/preparation/product-detail?product=2178

The shop person (not sure of her quals) definately told me I need the oil based binder.

It even says in the description of the primer, sealer & undercoat product:
"For set plaster or plasterglass use sealer binder as the prepcoat."

Isn't skim coat the same as set plaster?

I think you may have your plasters mixed up Painter. I believe the OP is talking about "Render and White Set" plastering - the plasterer renders the facebrick, waits a while, then comes back and skim coats it with a white plaster. It is very common in WA where double brick homes are the norm (as opposed to slapping up Gyprock sheets). I'm told "proper plastering" is a dying art with the trend away from double brick homes....a lot of the plasterers here are older Italian/Croation/Portugese who have been doing it for donkeys years....

Our plasterer also tells us to wait at least a month before painting, to allow the plaster to set and dry out properly. Then it does need to be painted with a sealant, before painting. Our painter also told us it is imperative to seal before painting.

Hope that helps,
Nadia

That explains it,although I am also from the Italian/Croation/Portugese background,:rolleyes:
In Queensland we are different,
An oil based sealer undercoat is required in your case,
Teaches me to ask questions before assuming something:D,

I believe all the info was in the original post :) Anyway, thanks all for feedback.

I guess the only contentious issue now is, how long to wait before painting the plaster. Anyone with experience on that one?

Back