Palm Tree Dead Branches - Tenants or Landlords responsibility

On my property, I have some palm trees. There is a collection of dead branches which have accumulated around the base of the trees. Just wondering if this is the responsibility of the landlord or the tenant to remove?

Tell the tenant to put them in the green waste bin.

If the palms required trimming thwn you would need to arrange it but as the fronds are on the ground it shouldn't be beyond the tenant to keep the yard clean.

Alternative is to get a trailer/ute. Load it up and drive to the tip.
They have a green waste section which is substantially cheaper than mixed waste.

Dump it there in one go. Then have a word with the PM and tell them they need to clean up the garden regularly and throw these things in the green bin.

Has the tenant raised the question? Maybe at next inspection, let them know that (assuming they were not there when they started the lease) they need to keep on top of clearing the palm fronds as they drop.

They could put a few in the ordinary bin (if you don't have a green bin) each week until they are gone.

Let them know that if they allow them to build up and it requires a trip to the dump, you will be hiring a gardener to do it, and they will be up for the cost.

How much effort does it take to put some palm fronds into the bin as needed. Unless you have hundreds of them, this should not build up.

Depends on the palm fronds.

Some are huge and simply won't fit in bins.
N
Marg
Heard of a saw?
Saying that I have heaps of palms some as high as 30 ft and have never needed a saw as they get quite brittle and break easily after drying out for a week or 3

My tenants left them all for me. When they left, there was a pile half way up the fence. It was rotting with cockroaches everywhere.

Has the tenant raised the question? Maybe at next inspection, let them know that (assuming they were not there when they started the lease) they need to keep on top of clearing the palm fronds as they drop.

They could put a few in the ordinary bin (if you don't have a green bin) each week until they are gone.

Let them know that if they allow them to build up and it requires a trip to the dump, you will be hiring a gardener to do it, and they will be up for the cost.

How much effort does it take to put some palm fronds into the bin as needed. Unless you have hundreds of them, this should not build up.

From the comments from Sydneysiders I assume a green waste bin is standard in Sydney. For those that don't know a green bin in Brisbane is an optional extra at around $80 pa added to rates. If necessary, I'd be inclined to get them a green bin if one isn't currently supplied and give them the free tip vouchers that come with the rates (BNE you get five green and five general waste per yr). But I'd stress it's their problem.

Palms tend to drop their fronds around this time of the year and those that are a bit loose in the tree get rattled down by the storms. My yard is full of fronds from the very mild storms over the last week. My palms drop 80% of their fronds between now and jan. I spend the rest of the year putting them in the green bin or hire someone to take them away. You really can't avoid letting them build up.

I woud be more concerned for the palm seed issue. If a pet digests the seed it will likely need surgery or die. Cost = 2K +. As an owner I would remove any palm.

For those that don't know a green bin in Brisbane is an optional extra at around $80 pa added to rates.

Are people seriously that tight that they would begrudge paying $80 to council to provide a greenwaste bin (Allah/Yaweh/Buddah/Rameses/Ganesh/(insert selected deity :eek:) etc only knows what we pay for ours) and then whinge that the tenant doesn't get rid of the green waste? I know $1.54/wk goes a long way for some people but when I last checked it wasn't a litre of high octane fuel. :rolleyes:

I manage a property that has 14 palm trees on it. Can I hold the tenant responsible for all the leaves and seed pods? No I dont think so. The owner is doing an annual clean up this week and the cheapest quote was $856. Also this could be agrued with the fact tenants are responsible for garden maintenace of weeds and small shrubs not big trees. I also agree with Scott with no mates why are we worried about green bin costs, all councils in Sydney charge a yearly fee for red, yellow and green bins, not much cost over a year. I actually pay fo 2 green bins because I need them and much cheaper than buying a trailer, petrol and tipping fees.:)

I don't think anybody is worried about green bin costs. Our neighbours have a line of palm trees that drop fronds in our yard. We just pick them up, fold them up and shove them in our ordinary rubbish bin. We never fill it up. We fill up the recycle bin every fortnight, but there is always plenty of room in the ordinary bin.

I would never expect any tenant of ours to do a run to the dump but unless there are palm fronds breeding like rabbits, I would expect them to pick them up and put them in the rubbish bin.

So, I guess we are all looking at this from the perspective of what we have in our own yards, our own IPs, how much of an issue it is (no issue for us at all) and basing our replies on this.

Our son purchased a house several months ago from the owner (no tenants had been living there). Tucked behind the palm trees is a three foot high stack of dried out palm fronds. They clearly chose to pick them up, walk to one section of fence and lay them neatly in a stack. They could just as easily have walked to the bin and put them in. Who knows what they were thinking? It will be one trailer trip to the dump when he gets around to it, but I cannot understand why they just didn't stick them in the bin as they fell. The stack clearly has taken a while to grow.

A lot of tenants would remove the palm leaves as they fall. But in a general rule tenants and gardening dont normally go into the same sentence.

A lot of tenants would remove the palm leaves as they fall. But in a general rule tenants and gardening dont normally go into the same sentence.

Yes. This is true. For at least ten years, we have paid for lawns to be mown in all properties we own or manage because some tenants just don't do it. We got sick of our IPs looking like the "rented" ones.

Now, they look better kept than most houses in the street. We also had problems renting out three large blocks until we threw in the yard care. Most tenants don't want to spend half a day mowing a big yard, and this limited our pool of tenants. Now it is not an issue as they don't have to lift a finger.

Back