Palm Tree Dead Branches - Tenants or Landlords responsibility

Hate those Cocos Palms, had to look after so many, spent a few hours each month or so on a ladder removing dying branches while green, and removing those big seed pods while they were green and easy to cut down, before they open into yellow flower heads full of bees and make tons of green/yellow berries to drop everywhere.
If possible it helps to convert gardens to low maintenance ones before or between tenants. Very hard to find tenants who love gardening.
Cheers
crest133

I don't think anybody is worried about green bin costs. Our neighbours have a line of palm trees that drop fronds in our yard. We just pick them up, fold them up and shove them in our ordinary rubbish bin. We never fill it up. We fill up the recycle bin every fortnight, but there is always plenty of room in the ordinary bin..

You are extremely understanding Wylie! I do not have a green bin as have very low maintenance garden but I have neighbours on 3 sides of me who never look after their trees and palms. I spent 4 years collecting bin liners of leaves from pool/garden and 3 trips to the dump with palm fronds or cutting them up and trying to fit them all in our bin (6 of us live here!) and this year we have to pay additional insurance because our neighbours trees are taller than a 2 storey building!
I knocked on their doors and said I have no room in my bins for their fronds and need to put them back over the fence for their own bins. I put 18 fronds over the fence last week alone! Life is so much easier now!

I knocked on their doors and said I have no room in my bins for their fronds and need to put them back over the fence for their own bins. I put 18 fronds over the fence last week alone! Life is so much easier now!

That sounds reasonable and I would do that too if I had a problem too big for our bins to handle. I would never just throw them over without speaking with the neighbours first. I'm guessing your neighbours were okay with it and much preferred that you explained your actions, rather than wonder what has changed in their neighbourly relationship and "why suddenly the neighbour is throwing fronds over the fence".

Like so much else, good communication is key in these situations.

Tenants are responsible for general gardening which is weeding and lawn mowing (basically) not pruning trees and removing their branches, this is an owners responsibility.

That being said as a tenant just get rid of basic breaches in the green waste bin over time or organise a council pick up (depends on your area).

PS Very funny Salvatore1 and Wylie you wise woman :)

That sounds reasonable and I would do that too if I had a problem too big for our bins to handle. I would never just throw them over without speaking with the neighbours first. I'm guessing your neighbours were okay with it and much preferred that you explained your actions, rather than wonder what has changed in their neighbourly relationship and "why suddenly the neighbour is throwing fronds over the fence".

Like so much else, good communication is key in these situations.

All but one! They had to get a green bin after that but these are the same neighbours that didn't have their water tank connected to the overflow and kept flooding us (or at least our shed which housed pool pump, solar pump and irrigation pump) when one of the floods blew our pump and we had to replace it at several thousand dollars I asked them to fix the issue, (as in the flooding, we fixed the pump one)they told us to claim it on our insurance! We don't communicate anymore! But thankfully they have fixed the tank issue :)

Last edited:
Back