• Yes

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean; most of the parents' eyes glaze over at the thought of a savings plan or the word "budget", so what hope have the kids got of their parents reading it to them.

Agreed. But as a godparent or merely concerned adult I'd spread such a book far and wide. And remember also, how few of the investors on this forum learned investment from their parents. Most kids pay little attention to such advice from their parents, anyway - somehow parents don't seem quite credible :D Might have something to do with being young, invincible and always right!

Anything on the subject of money for kids is focused on saving money to buy crap and become a good comsumer, not an investor. They still hand out those plastic money boxes at school to encourage kids to save. This is a start, but they are being trained to save for doodads, not assets. Big difference, and we all know what the result is of sticking your cash in a savings account.

Why not use metaphors ... that way you create the lesson within the story ...

I think the tortoise and the hare would be perfect ... with the tortoise being the insane consumer and the hare being thoughtful and wise in his investing. And most kids would know who the bad guy is from the beginning of the book before they've heard a word of the story.

And I'd completely avoid using the words savings or budget plan. 'Investing' sounds so much cooler.

I guess it's a bit beyond the life experience of kids ... but having money, whether through savings or investment shouldn't be about the material things it can buy you, it's should be about the intangibles - freedom, peace of mind, the ability to help family/friends/society if you choose. And while kids can't grasp these concepts, they do know from a very early age, what makes a good guy (happy and helpful) and what makes a bad guy.

If you do decide to go ahead with a book (or series of books targeting different age groups) maybe you should think about getting some advice from a child psychologist or developmental psychologist?

DJ

And I want a copy for my godson and his sister. Now aged 2 and not yet 1.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found that people who save and invest from an early age tend to do so because of a NEGATIVE experience or driving force. e.g. your family was poor, you wanted toys other kids had but you couldn't afford it, rich kids picked on you so you're trying to overcompensate, you saw family/friends suffer from poverty, etc.

What incentive is there to save if everything is great in your life when you're a child and you have no fears? The tortoise and the hare is a great story but most kids have no reason to want to be the tortoise. In fact, ESPECIALLY if you have a fairly smart kid, the whole system is geared towards making him/her feel like a hare (get high marks, get into a highly-paid profession, develop a fast-track career).

A lot of investors start later (after they have kids, say, or after they've paid off their PPOR) because the fear that they won't have enough money for retirement suddenly hits.

I know that the main reason I decided I wanted to be rich was because I realised that money meant power. If I had money, I didn't have to listen to people I didn't want to (whether it's parents, employers or even governments and other so-called 'people in authority') because I would be the one in control. It's not a very positive reason, but it worked for me.

I don't know how I'm going to teach it to my kids, but a bit of the 'money is power' lesson might be appropriate.
Alex

my parents never talked money, unless it was lack thereof.

after 5 years of watching my investing success, my dad still thinks any money not in his pocket is a risk. only very recently has he been discussing and investment property, but goes glass-eyed when i try to discuss details and yields etc

my mum is SO conservative with cash it's scary. she's one of those "drive around for the best fuel price" kinda ladies.

my family have always been blue collar. both sides - since before they even emigrated to Australia in the 50s.

work hard, save a bit, pay the mortgage, retire on pension.

my dad suddenly has no money to trade options because he's saving for his IP deposit. but he's just bought a $5k home entertainment system, spend a few $k on new appliances and is talking about buying a new motorbike.

i keep telling him to invest with a line of credit and borrow against the PPOR for the IP but he doesn;t understand so brushes the advice off.

so bascially, i'm an investor because i don;t want to live payday to payday like my signature.

Yes I think its true that the kids of rich people don't know how to save money. After all, money comes easily and effortlessly in abundance from parents, sometimes without even the kids asking for it. But poor kids can save, but they often have to pass the 'mental block' to learn the value of investing.

My father was taught about investing from his mother, who when they just migrated to Malaya from Southern China, she was working in the farms and fields as labourers. As you know, Southern Chinese's philosophy is to save, do business and invest. She saved and bought some land and just kept it. In Malaysia, most of the non-residential land are used for plantation - planting oil palms and rubber trees. So the investments became a plantation investment. Later it grew and grew. Our family became upper middle class after that. You can see the vast difference after about 20 years. WHile the families who worked hard but didnt invest, they remained working hard from paycheque to paycheque. Those who invested, or did business, they grew.

My father always tells me, among the immigrants, the pattern is clear- those who did big business and invested climb up financially(after 10, 20 years they are living in mansions and driving expensive cars), while those who remained in a job without investing, or set up a stall selling noodles and never expanded the business, although they are very very hardworking, but even after 60 years they are still riding a bicycle and living in the same place. He told me this comparison not to judge them, but to show me the power of a change in mindset about money and investing.

Since my father was young, his parents were still working class, he was hardworking and worked as a teacher and then manager and invested his own money. Bought land and property here and there.

So since young he kept telling me to invest, can't depend on work to be rich. Don;'t even get a professional job, but be a business person or entreprenuer, because engineers and professional work under business minded people. (I got into a professional job anyway :( ) Anyway, he's my "Rich Dad" who taught me all these things since I was about 8 years old.

BUT, I couldn't save even in my 20s (Im 30 now). I wasn't a big spender, but I didn't have the saving mentality in me. It was because I grew up with no problems about money. Although I wasn't spoilt,(my parents didnt give us huge pocket money, only enough to get by the month). But they paid for education, accommodation etc for us. Only after I graduated from uni and started working, I told my father not to send me money, as I want to rely on my own abilities. Then I started saving and realized what a feat it was(!). Boy it wasn't easy since my starting salary was very low, i think my starting job it was like $3.75 per hour, and then 2nd job $22,000 per year. Only then I knew to earn your own money, save and invest, its not too easy! Bought a few properties here and there myself, then I know how important it is to have the right training/mentality, and the right experience to show you the value of what you need to do.

Yes I think its true that the kids of rich people don't know how to save money. After all, money comes easily and effortlessly in abundance from parents, sometimes without even the kids asking for it. But poor kids can save, but they often have to pass the 'mental block' to learn the value of investing.

My father was taught about investing from his mother, who when they just migrated to Malaya from Southern China, she was working in the farms and fields as labourers. As you know, Southern Chinese's philosophy is to save, do business and invest. She saved and bought some land and just kept it. In Malaysia, most of the non-residential land are used for plantation - planting oil palms and rubber trees. So the investments became a plantation investment. Later it grew and grew. Our family became upper middle class after that. You can see the vast difference after about 20 years. WHile the families who worked hard but didnt invest, they remained working hard from paycheque to paycheque. Those who invested, or did business, they grew.

My father always tells me, among the immigrants, the pattern is clear- those who did big business and invested climb up financially(after 10, 20 years they are living in mansions and driving expensive cars), while those who remained in a job without investing, or set up a stall selling noodles and never expanded the business, although they are very very hardworking, but even after 60 years they are still riding a bicycle and living in the same place. He told me this comparison not to judge them, but to show me the power of a change in mindset about money and investing.

Since my father was young, his parents were still working class, he was hardworking and worked as a teacher and then manager and invested his own money. Bought land and property here and there.

So since young he kept telling me to invest, can't depend on work to be rich. Don;'t even get a professional job, but be a business person or entreprenuer, because engineers and professional work under business minded people. (I got into a professional job anyway :( ) Anyway, he's my "Rich Dad" who taught me all these things since I was about 8 years old.

BUT, I couldn't save even in my 20s (Im 30 now). I wasn't a big spender, but I didn't have the saving mentality in me. It was because I grew up with no problems about money. Although I wasn't spoilt,(my parents didnt give us huge pocket money, only enough to get by the month). But they paid for education, accommodation etc for us. Only after I graduated from uni and started working, I told my father not to send me money, as I want to rely on my own abilities. Then I started saving and realized what a feat it was(!). Boy it wasn't easy since my starting salary was very low, i think my starting job it was like $3.75 per hour, and then 2nd job $22,000 per year. Only then I knew to earn your own money, save and invest, its not too easy! Bought a few properties here and there myself, then I know how important it is to have the right training/mentality, and the right experience to show you the value of what you need to do.

thats a great story and a very balanced way to see things.

if my dad was able to give me half that advice i would be so grateful.

My mother has never been an investor or particularly great at managing money. My father does invest however i'm not sure how into it he is as we're not really that close.

The only property related influence I can remember is spending saturday days when i was about 12 years old driving around looking at properties with my uncle, who seemed to be always looking for an IP at the time.

He does own a few IP's but i wouldn't consider him a fully fledged intelligent investor, so i guess i'm a self motivated first generation investor. Not really sure where i get it from??

Someone posed an interesting question on another thread about whether or not people were influenced by their parents to invest. This got me wondering about how many of us are 1st, 2nd or even 3rd generation investors.

My father wasn't an investor. Just got a mortgage for the family home and paid it off. My mother had shares and managed funds...but I think her accountant influenced that. She also had a mortgage for her home and paid it off over the years.

Finance, wealth and money were never discussed at our dinner table...it was considered impolite and no business of the kids.:(

Back