peer pressure

likewow said:
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why not be both. :)

LOL ... good point, but I reckon trying to look wealthy before I actually am wealthy will stop me from getting wealthy ... if that makes sense :confused:

Anyway, I don't think I will have any trouble at all looking wealthy when I do get there :cool:

Kerri said:
Anyway, I don't think I will have any trouble at all looking wealthy when I do get there :cool:

I wonder if it will be that easy to "look wealthy" when you "get there".... :)

I know this sounds stupid, but I have personally found that the wealthier we have got, the less flashy the car, the more basic the wardrobe, the less flashy the jewellery for the Mrs etc....

And of course, trying to figure out when you have actually got "there" - I suspect there is no sign or anything that suddenly pops up one day in front of your face and says "Welcome, you are HERE" :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hmmm ... good point Y-man. How DO you know when you get 'there'? I guess it's different for everyone.

I don't think that being wealthy would really change me all that much. I have always had a very 'ho-hum' attitude about clothes, cars, jewellery etc. To me, a car is something to get me from point A to point B reliably, and my '91 subi sportswagon does that very well. Clothes are to keep me warm and stop me getting charged with indecent exposure, and the most jewellery I wear is usually a $20 wrist watch, which tells the time just as well as a diamond encrusted solid gold one.

I hate shopping and am much happier scavenging at markets and garage sales than I am jostling around in a big shopping centre. I love a bargain, and I can't really see that ever changing, so maybe I was wrong. Maybe I would have trouble looking wealthy, if and when I got there, specially if I couldn't even tell if I was actually there or not. :p

wealthyjay said:
Hi all
How do you guys deal with the pressure from peers to do what I see as consume ie heavy debt, big houses, cars, toys etc? People who see wealth being what you have, not your net worth. My partner and I feel sometimes that we are being left behind despite knowing full well we are in a far better financial situation than anyone we know. We know we can full well afford these things, but choose not to because it is not in our long term best interests. What do you reckon?

Hmmmmm, well are your friends really pressuring you to buy all that stuff or is it in your head that you feel like you are missing out, or feel less worthy than they are? If they are real friends, they wouldn't really care if you have the big house or the 4WD or the latest plasma etc etc but maybe just enjoy showing off their stuff because it is the only way they can feel good about themselves, in reality, they are probably jealous of what you have achieved and need to prove something. Just oooh and ahhhh and gush about how you are so jealous and on the drive home imagine them in 20 years still working like dogs to pay off the PPOR and afford the latest doodads while you are lying on the beach in the Caribbean on a 6 month holiday celebrating your retirement!

I have found that many people who need to buy expensive stuff to show off to other people really just have low self esteem about themselves and you sound to me like your self esteem is pretty healthy, and you already know that to fall into the consumer trap will make you poorer in the long run, so hold on to your goals and if necessary get new friends who are supportive.

Remember, only 1% of Australians retire wealthy, so aim to be in the 1% club and not in the other 99%.

Peer pressure is something you grow out of eventually.

Nat :)

The Y-man said:

I know this sounds stupid, but I have personally found that the wealthier we have got, the less flashy the car, the more basic the wardrobe, the less flashy the jewellery for the Mrs etc....

And of course, trying to figure out when you have actually got "there" - I suspect there is no sign or anything that suddenly pops up one day in front of your face and says "Welcome, you are HERE" :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Oh, youll know mate. Dont worry about that :)

natmarie73 said:
Hmmmmm, well are your friends really pressuring you to buy all that stuff or is it in your head that you feel like you are missing out, or feel less worthy than they are? If they are real friends, they wouldn't really care if you have the big house or the 4WD or the latest plasma etc etc but maybe just enjoy showing off their stuff because it is the only way they can feel good about themselves, in reality, they are probably jealous of what you have achieved and need to prove something. Just oooh and ahhhh and gush about how you are so jealous and on the drive home imagine them in 20 years still working like dogs to pay off the PPOR and afford the latest doodads while you are lying on the beach in the Caribbean on a 6 month holiday celebrating your retirement!

I have found that many people who need to buy expensive stuff to show off to other people really just have low self esteem about themselves and you sound to me like your self esteem is pretty healthy, and you already know that to fall into the consumer trap will make you poorer in the long run, so hold on to your goals and if necessary get new friends who are supportive.

Remember, only 1% of Australians retire wealthy, so aim to be in the 1% club and not in the other 99%.

Peer pressure is something you grow out of eventually.

Nat :)

I disagree because a lot of people buy expensive stuff because usually expensive equals quality and cheap equals crap. A person with a lot of money would buy a Merc or BMW because it is quality (wealthy people can understand the difference between price and value as it is a crucial component to a wealth mindset) and its also because they can buy a Merc:D

Not everyone who buys expensive things is in hock for them, thats one saying that gets on my nerves as its (a lot of the time) just a means for people who cant buy the same things to justify not having them.

BTW Nat, Does your post include Peter Spann and his awesome Ferrari ?

Likewow - have you read "The Millionaire Next Door", or the sequel to it "The Millionaire Mind" ?

Sim said:
Likewow - have you read "The Millionaire Next Door", or the sequel to it "The Millionaire Mind" ?

No but i have heard a bit about them. I tend to operate better with practice rather than theory. That unfortunately includes the 'trial and error' of that practice.

likewow said:
I disagree because a lot of people buy expensive stuff because usually expensive equals quality and cheap equals crap.
likewow said:
Since when has the highest price paid guarantee the best service in any industry but especially in the RE industry? And conversely when does the lowest price equal the worst service?
Likewow,

You made these two statements less the 50 minutes apart - see your post here in the Cheap Real Estate Agents thread.

Can you clarify where you actually do stand on expensive = quality and cheap = crap ?

Cheers,

KJ

The Y-man said:

Wouldn't you know you're there when you only own a wrecked car, the clothes on your back & the Mrs has no jewelry?

:D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

The Y-man said:

Cheers,

The Y-man

I can understand where your comming from with that. Personally I actually find it more difficult to spend money than to save it. I can imagine once I finally do become wealthy that I will still find it difficult to spend money.

The Y-man said:

I agree entirely - for me it's about not sucumbing to mindless consumerism, and clever marketing, telling me what I SHOULD buy or look like.

I still have 2 crap (but reliable) cars, shop for clothes at KMart, and buy 2 of anything that I normally buy when it's on special. Who needs a Merc to get from A to B when my 10 yr old Falcon does exactly the same.

It's all in the mind - anyone who feels the need to be seen to be wealthy doesn't have the millionaire mindset.

As Sim said - Re-read Millionaire Mind & The Millionaire Next Door - it's all about statistics of real millionaires.

Aceyducey said:
Wouldn't you know you're there when you only own a wrecked car, the clothes on your back & the Mrs has no jewelry?

:D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hmmmm.... or perhaps no car, in a nudist colony? :p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back