Pensioners....

Many here will know how I love to bleat on about "penguins"; some will hate that (too bad; get over it, I'm not changin'), some will find it mildly amusing (you are obviously sick like me :D).

But I stand by my harsh observation of our species, and saw an absolute classic re-affirmation if it this morning.

I happened to walk past the CBA bank just up the footpath from our workshop at around 10.00. The bank opens at 9.30.

Through the window I could see a line of people which stretched from the spot where you queue for a teller, almost out the door. :eek:

Now, the context of this is that it is Thursday...Pension day. So, here are all these pensioners lining up like a flock of sheep/penguins to get their money with which to go shopping.

"So what?" you might say.

Well, here's the thing; almost all these people have not much else pressing to do with their time I'd say, so why the hell are they all lining up at the exact same time to get their money out?

Why not learn to use an ATM? FFS

Why not wait a coupla hours (as I did when I went back there to make a deposit at 11.45am), avoid the swarm, and do your pension picking in relative comfort and peace?

It's idiotic; I wandered in there as I said, and there was ONE other customer in there other than me.

I was thinking; if I was a pensioner, I'd be either going in there when I did, or the day before, or the day after.

The day before would be a challenge I suppose as they might have too much week left at the end of the money by Wednesday, but surely they could manage their affairs well enough to get 'em through to this day, or last until Friday when the crowds have gone??

And, further to this - don't get me started on the queues at Aldi about an hour after the bank crowd disperses.

Maybe they could organise a bus from each bank to take them all to the next port-of-call which is Aldi's, then load 'em back up for a quick trip to the RSL for a lunch, and then home for a milo and lie-down? ;)

You'll probably be doing the same thing when you're a pensioner Marc.

You know, you go on about the penguin thing an awful lot. My thoughts are that you're probably a penguin in every area of your life except how you approach money. To me, being a penguin is being conservative and conformist. And dont you think you are those things?

There is a lot more about life to conform to than just how you make money.

Every so often I forget what day it is when popping down the supermarket ... only to find out it's - arrrrrrrgh - pension Thursday.

Even worse is on pension Thursday, they're all out driving around! I am NEVER going to be an "old person" driver!

This is truely amazing..................

I walked past the same bank at 9.30 on the same day as you. And there were all these people in there, I think they were business owners (Auto work shops ) or were they pensioners :confused:

And then I went down to Aldi and I saw you and a crowd of people buying coffee, teabags and buiscuts for their workers in their Auto repair shop or were they buying them for their mates at the RSL.

Don't judge a book by its cover. :mad:

GG

I live in an area that is a 'God's waiting room', ie. retirement haven. I have also observed these mysterious (and, I agree, downright idiotic) Thursday morning rituals. It has me convinced that anyone over the age of 65 turns into a pumpkin at midDAY.

Get over it....

You know, you go on about the penguin thing an awful lot. My thoughts are that you're probably a penguin in every area of your life except how you approach money. To me, being a penguin is being conservative and conformist. And dont you think you are those things?

At the end of the day, not many of us are actually that much better than everyone / anyone else, but ee all think we are... most of us know this, so go a step further and acknowledge others THINK they are better than penguins.. but realise that WE are the only ones who actually are...

I know you won't like this Marc, but as you say......

BV, I have no idea of the demographics of where you live, but it doesn't sound typical of every suburb :confused:.

Hope where you're moving to is different, otherwise your blood pressure and long term general wellbeing will be compromised :p:D.

Many here will know how I love to bleat on about "penguins"; some will hate that (too bad; get over it, I'm not changin'), some will find it mildly amusing (you are obviously sick like me :D).

But I stand by my harsh observation of our species, and saw an absolute classic re-affirmation if it this morning.

I happened to walk past the CBA bank just up the footpath from our workshop at around 10.00. The bank opens at 9.30.

Through the window I could see a line of people which stretched from the spot where you queue for a teller, almost out the door. :eek:

Now, the context of this is that it is Thursday...Pension day. So, here are all these pensioners lining up like a flock of sheep/penguins to get their money with which to go shopping.

"So what?" you might say.

Well, here's the thing; almost all these people have not much else pressing to do with their time I'd say, so why the hell are they all lining up at the exact same time to get their money out?

Why not learn to use an ATM? FFS

Why not wait a coupla hours (as I did when I went back there to make a deposit at 11.45am), avoid the swarm, and do your pension picking in relative comfort and peace?

It's idiotic; I wandered in there as I said, and there was ONE other customer in there other than me.

I was thinking; if I was a pensioner, I'd be either going in there when I did, or the day before, or the day after.

The day before would be a challenge I suppose as they might have too much week left at the end of the money by Wednesday, but surely they could manage their affairs well enough to get 'em through to this day, or last until Friday when the crowds have gone??

And, further to this - don't get me started on the queues at Aldi about an hour after the bank crowd disperses.

Maybe they could organise a bus from each bank to take them all to the next port-of-call which is Aldi's, then load 'em back up for a quick trip to the RSL for a lunch, and then home for a milo and lie-down? ;)

THIS is what bothers you and you repeat ad nauseum continously ?

MArc, this sounds like somehting teenagers woudl say to each other

yeah I know, adults hey, they're like so stupid hahahahaha they probably dont erven watch the simpsons & stuff hahaha penguins... not like me..I'm different & **** hot ..:rolleyes:

LMAO

I don't think it's about following the herd, it's just that they're old and part of their routine. When I worked in pharmacy (the good ol days...yeah right :rolleyes:) my first day was a wednesday or something, and life was chipping away nicely...until my first thursday, which was pension day, and SWARMS of oldies invaded the shop, waiting hours for their drugs. I couldn't get my head around it and checked all the prescriptions for crazy pills.

BV, I have no idea of the demographics of where you live, but it doesn't sound typical of every suburb :confused:.

Hope where you're moving to is different, otherwise your blood pressure and long term general wellbeing will be compromised :p:D.

I dont see that Weg

Human beings do tend to act similarly... in many suburban parks, you will see people walking their dogs at the same time.... you will see people shopping on simlar days... you see all sorts of trends...

Some of theose trends may be irrelevant to you / or in this case Marc, & they might stand out when you first see them...

To then do a kneejerk reaction and make jokes about them being inferior humans, seems a bit far fetched

I think Marc is obviously the one in need of the milo & lie down.

Bayview,
It would seem you've touched on a subject close to some of the above posters' hearts!
Perhaps they are alot older than they appear!!

I dont see that Weg

Human beings do tend to act similarly... in many suburban parks, you will see people walking their dogs at the same time.... you will see people shopping on simlar days... you see all sorts of trends...

Some of theose trends may be irrelevant to you / or in this case Marc, & they might stand out when you first see them...

To then do a kneejerk reaction and make jokes about them being inferior humans, seems a bit far fetched

My point WAS that Mark needs a Milo and a lie down.

He either lives in a terrible demographic (based on this and similar posts) or I'm a bogan/penguin and don't notice these things myself :D.

My point WAS that Mark needs a Milo and a lie down.

He either lives in a terrible demographic (based on this and similar posts) or I'm a bogan/penguin and don't notice these things myself :D.

Weg, I was referring to Marc's post where he himself suggested these penguin pensioners have a milo & a lie down. I

It's got nothing to do with age, Marc constantly tells us how ancient he is at 44 compared to the rest of us young ones who know nothing... I'm almost almost 40 ... it's just that sometimes, the things we all complain about are pathetically stupid and petty, and sometimes, it s gets to the point wher eother people say SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT NOTHING ALREADY

I am not aware of aldi or kmart or target being full on thursday morning becasue of pensioners. I have seen very wealthy people there on those days first thing because it is the day the sales start and they have at times really good sales.

but yes i dont know why pensioners dont learn to use atms.

Not a hope in hell.

You know, you go on about the penguin thing an awful lot.
Yep. I'm the first to admit it.

My thoughts are that you're probably a penguin in every area of your life except how you approach money.
Miles off in your assumption Ev.
If I was a penguin, I would then be belittling myself indirectly through the use of the term, yes?
But no.

To me, being a penguin is being conservative and conformist. And dont you think you are those things?
Nope. But I'll take the bait; how do you arrive at that?

My issue is with their herd behavior, which is totally unnecessary and - to me - bordering on irrational. I thought it was rather funny.

The money side of things...I don't understand how that figures into your view about me?

I'm all for people to do things that everyone likes to do.
But to stand in a queue on one of 7 days when you could do it minus a queue.....:rolleyes:

I'ts not the first time I've noticed it; it's about 30 years of observation; just thought to mention it now.
My wife - who is far more tolerant than I - also finds it a "what the?" and a "head shake" experience.

See above sentence

Nah; another Chardy and some more chocolate.

I live in an area that is a 'God's waiting room', ie. retirement haven. I have also observed these mysterious (and, I agree, downright idiotic) Thursday morning rituals. It has me convinced that anyone over the age of 65 turns into a pumpkin at midDAY.

AHA!!!

So it's not just me. :D

Thanks GBS.

Back