Pensioners....

BV, I have no idea of the demographics of where you live, but it doesn't sound typical of every suburb :confused:.
I'll bet my @rse it is; except for maybe Brighton or Double Bay. ;)

Hope where you're moving to is different, otherwise your blood pressure and long term general wellbeing will be compromised :p:D.
Not moving anywhere. I love where I live. No crowds, no traffic, no traffic lights, no commute, fresh air. A bit over-represented with retirees for mine, but I can navigate around them.

Look, I couldn't care less what they do; if they want to do those things that's fine with me. I just find it silly to do what they do on Thursdays...

If it was me, I'd be bankin' and shoppin' at 8.00am on Monday, or any other day but Thursday.

I guess on Thursday it would be a nice way to catch up with yer mates though?

How would it be "just you" ?

I think what most of us were saying is "So what ?"

Leave em some dignity, perhaps the behaviou really doesn't warrant you "wondering" about it in a mocking "almost idiotic",(to use a previously used term), way.

I think what most of us were saying is "So what ?"
Yep; I did say you'd probably say that.

Leave em some dignity, perhaps the behaviou really doesn't warrant you "wondering" about it in a mocking "almost idiotic",(to use a previously used term), way.
You can rest easy JC.

I have tons of respect and nice treatment for oldies. My parents were in that boat.

They didn't frequent the Thursday Bash though; couldn't stand it. :D

Many here will know how I love to bleat on about "penguins"; some will hate that (too bad; get over it, I'm not changin'), some will find it mildly amusing (you are obviously sick like me :D).

Penquins?.....oh....I like to fondly call "livestock" :D

I think they like to all meet..and complain about the long lineups...and how it was back in the 'good old days'.

I have been known to rib, my mum as long as I have enough head start that she only goes out so that her mates can see who is or isnt dead yet
ther'd be no point if they didnt all flock together

Mark

I think the Bank is a bit slow on its staffing level and if I was the Manager and there was a long line every second Thursday morning I would have all staff on the counter to serve them quicker to improve customer satisfaction.

Well run businesses know and staff accordingly. Just lately I have observed 2 grocery chains have changed the day their specials start so they can link into this phenomen.

Job for Mark...
On the alternative Thursdays I am lead to believe other Australians who receive assistance from Centrelink are paid, can you go and see if they line up at the bank?

I don't think they do, I think they use ATM's and credit cards but they still go shopping.

What day is your busiest day for phone calls wanting to book in for a tyre replacement?

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Mark
I think the Bank is a bit slow on its staffing level and if I was the Manager and there was a long line every second Thursday morning I would have all staff on the counter to serve them quicker to improve customer satisfaction.
Good point. I know they have an extra teller this day, but obviously not enough? I even see the Manager himself get behind the counter on add occasions when I go in there and one of the tellers is on a break.

Well run businesses know and staff accordingly. Just lately I have observed 2 grocery chains have changed the day their specials start so they can link into this phenomen.
So are you saying the pensioner brigade happens where you are too?

Job for Mark...
On the alternative Thursdays I am lead to believe other Australians who receive assistance from Centrelink are paid, can you go and see if they line up at the bank?
Yeah; no worries; I've got nuttin' better to do that go and observe welfare recipients standing facing a wall....

I don't think they do, I think they use ATM's and credit cards but they still go shopping.
They are prolific shoppers. I don't know that they line up with the oldies though; I don't go near a shop on Thursdays...why invite angst? :D

What day is your busiest day for phone calls wanting to book in for a tyre replacement?
No pattern to it.
Funnily, our busiest day for punctures is Monday. We don't have any more staff that day because there isn't any other staff - we just go harder.

Last edited:
Ok, you usually go on about penguins in reference to how they go to work each day and earn a wage, or something similar. Where as you invested, built equity and bought a business for your income.

But my point is that Marc, you are a penguin as well. You drive a Commodore, are building a house, drink chardys, bought a business, i bet you dress conservatively and live conservatively and your philosophy on life is basically very conservative and penguin like). As does 99% of society do all that stuff.

By definition, herd behavior = penguin behavior = conformist behavior.

Which leads to my my point about penguins being conformist and conservative in their dress, lifestyle, entertainment etc etc.

Can you tell me what you do that sets you apart from society to distinguish yourself as a non-penguin? Thinking you're not a penguin doesn't quite cut it, you have to actually be a non-penguin.

BTW: I've known (and know) people who are true non-penguins and are non conformist and alternative in their lifestyles, thoughts, philosophies etc that they would consider you probably the grand leader of penguins.

Can you see what i'm getting at here?

Also, i really dont understand your need to criticise people, especially pensioners for no apparent reason. I think your post gives much more of an insight into yourself than it does of pensioners.

Not a hope in hell.

Yep. I'm the first to admit it.

Miles off in your assumption Ev.
If I was a penguin, I would then be belittling myself indirectly through the use of the term, yes?
But no.

Nope. But I'll take the bait; how do you arrive at that?

My issue is with their herd behavior, which is totally unnecessary and - to me - bordering on irrational. I thought it was rather funny.

The money side of things...I don't understand how that figures into your view about me?

Maybe it's just crowds you don't like Bayview :D

How do you feel about waiting in long lines of people, going to the movies on cheap tuesdays when there's a million kids running around, christmas shopping etc

PS:

Maybe the pensioners are worried about losing money from a hole in the wall or some dirtbag 'rolling' them as they take it out, so they go inside? I guess when your old and frail, everyone including a steep kerb is a threat to your health and safety? Some of the banks now have ATMS in an inside area, rather than on the street which would be attractive to many.

Maybe it's just for the human interaction side of it, they probably are not concerned about taking up your time, as they realise they have less available ;)

I just had a look at the Age pension rates for interests sake

These Age Pension payment rates are effective from 20 March 2011.

An income and assets[1] test will be used to work out how much you can get.

Status- Pension rate per fortnight

Single- $670.90*
Couple- $505.70* each

*These amounts exclude the Pension Supplement[2] amount which is currently a maximum of $58.40 a fortnight for singles and $88.00 a fortnight for couples (combined).

Hi BV,

Living in a retirement area I would agree with you, funny how they all line up at the same time and the same day.

When my Mum was alive she used to do the same thing and I suggested she go later or on Friday to avoid the queue and she said "then I wouldn't see all my friends".

So the reason they all line up then is that they Want to line up then, once they are cashed up it is off to the shops and then a coffee and cake, A Big Day Out :D

Mum loved pension day, free money and a social occasion all rolled up into one !

Penguins ? No different to calling people punters or sheeple or whatever slang name is the current vogue IMO

Ok, you usually go on about penguins in reference to how they go to work each day and earn a wage, or something similar. Where as you invested, built equity and bought a business for your income.

I probably haven't explained the penguin reference clearly enough.

It's in reference to things that all we humans do as a general group, which are not what you'd call sensible thinking, rational etc, yet we see many examples of it every day...after day, after day.

Like the penguins which take 30 or 40 goes at walking out of the surf at dusk - something they do every singe day of their lives...

Now, in the human instance, I'd put into this same category things like smoking, eating tons of Maccas, lining up in the bank on Thurs between 9.30 and 11.00 when there is no need to ever do it.

Stuff like that.

The difference is humans should have the intelligence to stand back, observe the behavior and say; "hang on; this is stupid; I'm not gunna do it like everyone else does".

That's what I'm referring to with yer penguin behaviour.

As for me; yes, I do lots of stuff yer normal person does, but I would hope that I don't succumb to the non-sensible stuff that can be avoided.

Stuff like; living 1.5 hour drive from work, sitting in that traffic year in and year out, hating it.

It's insane; move to a better location, or change jobs. Anyway, it's their choice; I don't care - I just comment on it; I find it intriguing.

You say I'm a conformist. Would you consider investing, building equity and buying a business the majority activity of people? How many people do we all know that have IP's, or run a business that employs staff? Not that many.

Not that it is any big deal, and I don't think I'm special or better. I'm illustrating that being involved in just those two activities makes you different from most - good or bad.

With the Commodore; it's not a normal one, but I don't advertise it. It's an HSV R8. Not yer everyday model. But you brought it up.

Maybe it's just crowds you don't like Bayview :D
Correct! :D

However, there is simply no avoiding crowds at Disneyland, so you just have to get yer head on right. We thought we'd go there on Monday and Tuesday to avoid the crowds if possible....we were kidding ourselves of course. :D

How do you feel about waiting in long lines of people, going to the movies on cheap tuesdays when there's a million kids running around, christmas shopping etc
hate long lines (who doesn't?), don't mind a million kids running around - love 'em. Hate Xmas shopping. I normally do it about 9.30am on a Sunday morning, or at midnight if I have to go near a shopping mall, bur generally go to little specialty shops. No-one around usually.

PS:

Maybe the pensioners are worried about losing money from a hole in the wall or some dirtbag 'rolling' them as they take it out, so they go inside? I guess when your old and frail, everyone including a steep kerb is a threat to your health and safety? Some of the banks now have ATMS in an inside area, rather than on the street which would be attractive to many.
Prolly right about that. But I'm a lot older and have been exposed to oldies for my whole working life; they are technology-phobic. Even my Dad wouldn't learn to use a cordless phone.

Maybe it's just for the human interaction side of it, they probably are not concerned about taking up your time, as they realise they have less available ;)
They aren't taking up my time; I try to dodge them and enjoy less hold-ups.

Last edited:
Just thought of 2 more...

1. Leaving for holidays with the car loaded up on Boxing Day.

2. Arriving at destination later that day, then going to supermarket at 10.30am the next day...

See it every year down here in Drug-mana. It's hysterical seeing the enormous lines of cars crawling down the freeway about midday, and then the hords at Richies the next day mid-morn.

I'd be headin' out the day after/before Boxing Day in peace. And get up super-early to do the shopping. In and out in no time.

Yeah, yeah; maybe they have no choice.

Should these go in the whinge thread?

Not a whinge; just another intriguing observation of "why?"

Probably the only chance they get to all catch up for a gas bag!
Oh, if they miss gasbagging at the bank, they'll be gasbagging in the exact centre of the aisles at the supermarket in groups of at least 3.

No shortage of retirees here either and will only get worse when the 100 unit retirement home is finished. The 'other' big industry here is in aged carers.

We're very disorganised and just go shopping whenever we run out of something (local supermarket is open something like 7:30am-8pm which doesn't discourage such behaviour), we know about it when we run out of milk late morning on pension day - every checkout is open with a long grey queue at it!

This thread needs less hate and more funny imo

Anyway I love chatting to pensioners, especially when you start getting dirty stories out of them. 70 year old grannies talking about sex with that old lady toothless cackle coughing up dust is bloody hilarious :D

Back