Pensioners....

So human beings follow patterns

Including old people

Some human beings insist that they despite the simlariires, they are better than other people

Including adults who should know better than children but mock other epople for things that they do themselves

How enlightening

Are you making fun of people..who make fun of people?:D

I am all for technology but I don't trust making deposits at ATMs, maybe I will be the old codger still lining up to make deposits.

I have no trust issues when taking cash out of a wall, it is putting an envelope into one and hoping it makes it to my account I get nervous about.

I also no longer make cash deposits.
I use 2 banks, and have had a dispute with each over how much cash I have deposited.If I need to move money from one bank to another, I will write a cheque to myself and deposit it in the other bank.

I am all for technology but I don't trust making deposits at ATMs, maybe I will be the old codger still lining up to make deposits.

I have no trust issues when taking cash out of a wall, it is putting an envelope into one and hoping it makes it to my account I get nervous about.

I make deposits at the counter for the business takings, and I often add it up wrong because I'm in a hurry or I'm just dumb.

It's amazing how little cash there is these days compared to 15 years ago....another thread I suppose.

Anyway, one time in about 1995 I made a deposit over the counter, and the teller put all the $20 notes into a note weighing/counting machine. You could see it from the counter, doing it's thing; very clever device.

The amount was $20 short from what I had added it up to be. I thought it was odd, but thought maybe I'd counted it wrong, and accepted what she said.

About an hour later, I got a call at the shop from the bank. Apologising for the mistake in my deposit - the machine had counted the money wrong, and I had been credited a further $20. She had gone to use the machine a bit later and had found the note stuck in the machine.

With the ATM situation; I'm with you on this, even though I have done it, and so far had no problem with it.

How would you go if there was a mistake? It's your word against theirs; even if you have counted it 5 times before the deposit is made?

Watching them count at the counter is still the best way.

I make deposits at the counter for the business takings, and I often add it up wrong because I'm in a hurry or I'm just dumb.

It's amazing how little cash there is these days compared to 15 years ago....another thread I suppose.

Anyway, one time in about 1995 I made a deposit over the counter, and the teller put all the $20 notes into a note weighing/counting machine. You could see it from the counter, doing it's thing; very clever device.

The amount was $20 short from what I had added it up to be. I thought it was odd, but thought maybe I'd counted it wrong, and accepted what she said.

About an hour later, I got a call at the shop from the bank. Apologising for the mistake in my deposit - the machine had counted the money wrong, and I had been credited a further $20. She had gone to use the machine a bit later and had found the note stuck in the machine.

With the ATM situation; I'm with you on this, even though I have done it, and so far had no problem with it.

How would you go if there was a mistake? It's your word against theirs; even if you have counted it 5 times before the deposit is made?

Watching them count at the counter is still the best way.

I had a "word" with my bank when they started to use these machines back in the 90s. They grabbed all the notes and walked over to a machine that I could not see. They feed them through, come back and tick off the amounts on my deposit and I say to them, " you have to tick them now as you removed the money from my sight"

Teller says "what do you mean, I say if you remove the money from my sight then as far as I am concerned it is your responsibility not mine, that is the whole purpose of counting it in front of me"

Teller looks at me blankly, I say "Go and get the manager", off we go, out comes manager, I tell them the same thing, " I don't mind you using the machine but I am not responsible for the money being right once it leaves my sight"

Next day the machine was moved and everyone is happy :D

Last edited:
I had made the cash deposit using the ATM, and then the follow complaint of them not crediting me $200 of the deposit. They informed me they would do an investigation. Supposedly there are 2 counters or processors who make sure the deposit is what it says..and supposedly video taped for assurrance.
That was my last time at that bank machine for cash deposits.
When it happened at my other bank atm, I stopped making cash deposits altogether.

No..I use a cheque from one bank and deposit it in the other bank...if I need to transfer funds into another bank. Cheques are free..internet transfers cost money:confused:

My internet transfers cost me $0.00.

Writng a cheque would also take too long to clear for me.

Cheques are so pre-internet banking. Free internet transfers here too, use it all the time. Absolutely hate waiting for cheques to clear.

Different banks I guess.
My cheques clear instantly with my bank.
But I would pay the surcharge over depositing cash..if need be.

I have accounts with 2 of the major 4 - they charge me monthing.
One other bank too, they charge me monthing.
Cheques take 3 days to clear in Australia

Obviously not much happening today - so thought of this, and it still bemuses me.

My neighbour down the back is way into her 90's. For 4-5 days, the other week, all her blinds were closed - all day every day.

Saw her come-in career the other day and asked if she was alright as the curtains had been drawn for ages and I was concerned she'd had a hospital trip or worse.

Apparently she's fine - but is worried about her furniture fading.

Whatever floats your boat - but at 90+, live a little. Who cares about the furniture fading, bring on the sun!

Obviously not much happening today - so thought of this, and it still bemuses me.

My neighbour down the back is way into her 90's. For 4-5 days, the other week, all her blinds were closed - all day every day.

Saw her come-in career the other day and asked if she was alright as the curtains had been drawn for ages and I was concerned she'd had a hospital trip or worse.

Apparently she's fine - but is worried about her furniture fading.

Whatever floats your boat - but at 90+, live a little. Who cares about the furniture fading, bring on the sun!

So letting your furniture fade is "living a little ?

As you said, whatever floats your boat :confused::p

Cheques take 3 days to clear in Australia
I don't have a cheque account (the fees on those are quite high) so every time I get a cheque or money order it costs me about $6.

My credit union charges $1 for an internet transfer to a different bank, CBA charges $0. But then CBA is really nasty for foreign currency charges while the CU charges nothing.

Compromise is to have pays in AU deposited to the CBA and pays in USD to the CU :D

No - i just don't think that if I make it past 90 I'll be spending a single second worrying about fading furniture. I'd much rather sit in the sun and listen to the birds sing.

No - i just don't think that if I make it past 90 I'll be spending a single second worrying about fading furniture. I'd much rather sit in the sun and listen to the birds sing.

Do you think perhaps the little ofld lady could be doing what she might ant do just like you are describing you would be, despite it being diffferent you what you would like ?

Back