Perspectives on the Brisbane market - Prof Keen eat your heart out

The Facts - a snapshot

While financial markets are in a mess, much of the media reporting is exaggeration. So too are the call of substantial drops in residential prices due to the “global financial meltdown”. While the events in recent weeks have unsettled some property buyers, the fundamentals supporting residential property remain robust.

Given the recent hype, it’s interesting to take a step back and look at how residential property actually performs. The following observations can be made;

Residential property has out-performed most other assets over the short, medium, and long term (see chart below)
Residential returns are cyclical with price growth on average peaking every 7th year or so. Whilst there are low periods of growth, it is rare that nominal prices actually decline on an annual basis
Detached houses and attached dwelling now show similar total returns
Most locations show similar returns. For example, buying in Adelaide shows the same returns as Brisbane over mid to long term.

View attachment Property Market table.doc

Extracts from Matusik property insight - October 2008 - ABS, REIA, REIQ

Analysis of interest rate falls since the early 1990’s (Westpac) has found that a .25% drop in rates causes;

New housing starts rise by around 5% over a three month period immediately after the drop in interest rates
House prices also rise by between 2% and 3%, again over a three month period after the rate drop
Sales volumes lift on average by 5% within the first quarter after a drop in interest rates
Buyer confidence lifts about 8% within a month or two straight after the decline in interest rates

There is absolutely no evidence to show that prices will fall. On the contrary, you could expect marginal increases in the coming months. Buyers who are expecting a downturn in prices will be disappointed and possibly be paying more. Likewise, waiting for interest rates to drop before buying may be offset by marginal increases in property prices.

Similar research shows that on average, prices double every nine years, equating to capital price growth of just over 8% per annum. Whilst there are low periods, it is rare that nominal prices actually go backwards on an annual basis. And while it is true that residential property does, on occasion, enter negative territory, when taking a longer-term view, the average total return for a house was 11.4% across our capitals during 2007/08 (11.3% for attached product). Over the last five years, houses returned 11% and units 9.9% per annum. The ten year average was 13.4% and 12.8% respectively.

What are the positive market indicators?

Australia’s population growth (337,000 pa) is the fastest on record – Qld and Vic fastest growing states
Total residential returns (capital gains and net rent) rose by 11.4% over the last 12 months – house prices
rose by 8% and rents by 14%
Rental property vacancy rate is 1.4% (and falling) and new homes to market are under supplied (shortfall of 58,000 +/- in Qld)
Unemployment is just 4.1% and 237,000 new jobs created in last 12 months
Only 0.41% of mortgages are in arrears by 3 months – this equates to just 17,000 borrowers, not the
800,000 reported by the media
Interest rates are expected to keep falling – at present best average variable 7.8% and 3 year fixed at 6.99%
Both end sale prices and weekly rents are up around 30% since mid 2005

Estimates based on population growth show that between 2,500 and 3,000 new apartments are needed across inner Brisbane each year. This demand could be as high as 4,000 in a few years. At present there are around 500 apartments for sale, the tightest supply in the last decade. Going forward there are only 2,000 new apartments with development approval currently planned across 13 projects.

Despite recent commentary to the contrary, residential sales volumes also remain buoyant across Brisbane suburbs. It is estimated that just under 12,000 residential properties sold during 2007/2008, of which 8,000 were apartments and a further 3,850 transactions were for detached houses.

The rental vacancy rate is under 2% with weekly rental on the rise. At present, weekly rents for one bedroom recently finished apartments (inner suburbs) attract between $350-$400 per week. Two bedroom product goes between $500-$600 per week, and 3 bedroom stock $700-$800 per week.
Suburban detached dwellings are also experiencing a similar trend with new 4 bedroom stock ranging anywhere from high $300’s up to $600 per week.

In the short term expect rents to rise as demand exceeds supply. New start properties average 4-5 months before they can be occupied which places greater demand on apartments or town house availability. The federal government has taken a lateral view toward under supply by offering first home owners $21,000 for purchase of a new home or construction of same. This, combined with the offer of $14,000 for purchase of established dwellings is going to see a lot more activity in the first home market.

In conclusion - turn off the 6pm news. The very nature of our media is to report in the ‘negative’ rather than see what good things are happening around us. Media contributes to and often motivates lack of confidence through articles and stories without empirical proof but bags of ‘sensationalism’. If you want to know what is happening in the real estate market ask a professional who works it every day, not a journalist looking for some headlines.

Information provided by Loan Market

I've been selling properties in Beenleigh and on the Nth NSW coast and property prices are definitely falling in those areas, by at least 10% if not more

Tim

You guys must be really worried to be posting this crap.

Matusik??....Good one. Now there's a reliable source.

Boy are you in for a nasty surprise:p

The Facts - a snapshot

While financial markets are in a mess, much of the media reporting is exaggeration. So too are the call of substantial drops in residential prices due to the “global financial meltdown”. While the events in recent weeks have unsettled some property buyers, the fundamentals supporting residential property remain robust.

Given the recent hype, it’s interesting to take a step back and look at how residential property actually performs. The following observations can be made;

Residential property has out-performed most other assets over the short, medium, and long term (see chart below)
Residential returns are cyclical with price growth on average peaking every 7th year or so. Whilst there are low periods of growth, it is rare that nominal prices actually decline on an annual basis
Detached houses and attached dwelling now show similar total returns
Most locations show similar returns. For example, buying in Adelaide shows the same returns as Brisbane over mid to long term.

View attachment 4001

Extracts from Matusik property insight - October 2008 - ABS, REIA, REIQ

Analysis of interest rate falls since the early 1990’s (Westpac) has found that a .25% drop in rates causes;

New housing starts rise by around 5% over a three month period immediately after the drop in interest rates
House prices also rise by between 2% and 3%, again over a three month period after the rate drop
Sales volumes lift on average by 5% within the first quarter after a drop in interest rates
Buyer confidence lifts about 8% within a month or two straight after the decline in interest rates

There is absolutely no evidence to show that prices will fall. On the contrary, you could expect marginal increases in the coming months. Buyers who are expecting a downturn in prices will be disappointed and possibly be paying more. Likewise, waiting for interest rates to drop before buying may be offset by marginal increases in property prices.

Similar research shows that on average, prices double every nine years, equating to capital price growth of just over 8% per annum. Whilst there are low periods, it is rare that nominal prices actually go backwards on an annual basis. And while it is true that residential property does, on occasion, enter negative territory, when taking a longer-term view, the average total return for a house was 11.4% across our capitals during 2007/08 (11.3% for attached product). Over the last five years, houses returned 11% and units 9.9% per annum. The ten year average was 13.4% and 12.8% respectively.

What are the positive market indicators?

Australia’s population growth (337,000 pa) is the fastest on record – Qld and Vic fastest growing states
Total residential returns (capital gains and net rent) rose by 11.4% over the last 12 months – house prices
rose by 8% and rents by 14%
Rental property vacancy rate is 1.4% (and falling) and new homes to market are under supplied (shortfall of 58,000 +/- in Qld)
Unemployment is just 4.1% and 237,000 new jobs created in last 12 months
Only 0.41% of mortgages are in arrears by 3 months – this equates to just 17,000 borrowers, not the
800,000 reported by the media
Interest rates are expected to keep falling – at present best average variable 7.8% and 3 year fixed at 6.99%
Both end sale prices and weekly rents are up around 30% since mid 2005

Estimates based on population growth show that between 2,500 and 3,000 new apartments are needed across inner Brisbane each year. This demand could be as high as 4,000 in a few years. At present there are around 500 apartments for sale, the tightest supply in the last decade. Going forward there are only 2,000 new apartments with development approval currently planned across 13 projects.

Despite recent commentary to the contrary, residential sales volumes also remain buoyant across Brisbane suburbs. It is estimated that just under 12,000 residential properties sold during 2007/2008, of which 8,000 were apartments and a further 3,850 transactions were for detached houses.

The rental vacancy rate is under 2% with weekly rental on the rise. At present, weekly rents for one bedroom recently finished apartments (inner suburbs) attract between $350-$400 per week. Two bedroom product goes between $500-$600 per week, and 3 bedroom stock $700-$800 per week.
Suburban detached dwellings are also experiencing a similar trend with new 4 bedroom stock ranging anywhere from high $300’s up to $600 per week.

In the short term expect rents to rise as demand exceeds supply. New start properties average 4-5 months before they can be occupied which places greater demand on apartments or town house availability. The federal government has taken a lateral view toward under supply by offering first home owners $21,000 for purchase of a new home or construction of same. This, combined with the offer of $14,000 for purchase of established dwellings is going to see a lot more activity in the first home market.

In conclusion - turn off the 6pm news. The very nature of our media is to report in the ‘negative’ rather than see what good things are happening around us. Media contributes to and often motivates lack of confidence through articles and stories without empirical proof but bags of ‘sensationalism’. If you want to know what is happening in the real estate market ask a professional who works it every day, not a journalist looking for some headlines.

Information provided by Loan Market

hgrant - the article is from Loan Market - they have only referred to some Matusik data.

I posted this to generate some further discussion on the differing points of view in the current marketplace. I am not particularly worried about anything at the moment - i have been selling strong in Nth Bris. and whilst prices have certainly been stagnating - i would not say there has been anywhere near a 10% decline around here.

If it tanks, so be it - i won't be surprised, but i am not betting on it happening like all the doom and gloomers either.

i am happy to deal with whatever the market throws at me - good or bad!:p

More reliable than Steve Keen that's for sure

Yeah, SK has been taking his G&D position for years (and by some accounts for about 30 years?) and now the business cycle is at the point when he is having his time in the sun and he has been proven right and prophetic. By how many years has he missed out in terms of building his financial future? So, if I read the news correctly, he was essentially bidding his time until he is 'right' and with his stakes biased accordingly towards shares? I wonder how the financial maestro is doing! From a recent utterance, I gather he was expecting to work until 65! :rolleyes:

You may have missed the point - the information is to allow you to compare and contrast as opposed to claim that people are worried.

Who's worried when we have all made a bundle from property? :D

Timbo

I'd be worried if I had been holding shares for the past year, but property? No worries! I see some people get all joyful and excited when property values fall 1% in a quarter, yet these same people often hold shares that regularly fall 5%+ in a single day! :rolleyes:

What have you invested in Hgrant?

Cheers,

Shadow.

The Brisbane market has fallen and will continue to fall. I have property there and have seen it first hand. I don't put a lot of credibility to posts from theorists and RE agents.

Hgrant....you are absolutely correct! Prices are going to fall! ;)

However, it is not going to go down by 40%....in fact I would say 5-10%....perhaps %15 at a stretch if they are desperate sellers.... for most places. You might get 40% falls in the luxury end of the market ($1m plus)....but definitely not in low to mid end...if that was the case I would be jumping in . :p

Bear in mind....that the Brisabane median price has tripled in 10 years so these sort of falls are normal in such a cycle. But be assured that at some point they will go up again.

Cheers
Sash

I'd say most of Brisbane has fallen between 10% - 20% already. If it falls another 10% - 15% as you suggest, that will be between 20% and 30% approx fall, not taking inflation into account. If you include inflation over say 6 years a 40% fall is definitely on the cards.

Not so far fetched, huh?

Hgrant....you are absolutely correct! Prices are going to fall! ;)

However, it is not going to go down by 40%....in fact I would say 5-10%....perhaps %15 at a stretch if they are desperate sellers.... for most places. You might get 40% falls in the luxury end of the market ($1m plus)....but definitely not in low to mid end...if that was the case I would be jumping in . :p

Bear in mind....that the Brisabane median price has tripled in 10 years so these sort of falls are normal in such a cycle. But be assured that at some point they will go up again.

Cheers
Sash

man - i'm getting tired of this "my economist is more right than your economist" bickering.

only time will tell who's was right - and when that happens, who will care? ... in the meantime, how about we discuss rather than try and point score.

the only problem with your statement is the part that starts of with "I'd say..."

because my rebuttal would be "I'd say your wrong"

and now what? we both scream louder and louder at each other.

who cares what you or me "think" whats the reality? the facts?

Rather than spin incoherent rubbish how about trying to show a single ACTUAL stat showing a 10 or 20% fall for Brisbane? or QLD as a whole?

So tiring, because you wont show any evidence just anecdotal rubbish "but he said she said" rubbish or worse something Keen said..

seriously.. find evidence, come back and then well talk till then ill be happily staring at the rpdata figures which show 16.2% growth for 2008 in Brisbane.

i know i know.. its all a conspiracy, rpdata is just a property developer stooge who gets their stats from land titles who are also paid off by real estate agents.. - whatever so tiring.

yes i know... its all a conspiracy to prove you and the likes of Keen wrong.

Heres the facts.. prices haven't fallen but sales volumes have fallen.

gritting your teeth? - tempa tempa, just relax and go find that stat to prove me wrong, its easy.... a single solitary stat showing price falls for Brisbane dropping 10%.

I'd say most of Brisbane has fallen between 10% - 20% already. If it falls another 10% - 15% as you suggest, that will be between 20% and 30% approx fall, not taking inflation into account. If you include inflation over say 6 years a 40% fall is definitely on the cards.

Not so far fetched, huh?

What are you on about mate? Are you stalking me? LOL

All i can say is i (and others i know) own property in Brisbane and have seen it fall in price substantially recently.

A few of us have had houses on the market. That's a pretty good guide.

Most of the public record sites (rpdata, Residex, APM ) are out of date so they're not reliable. They get their data from public records which take quite a while to come through. They cant keep up when trends are moving fast, as they are now and the last few months.

Hold that thought and wait a few months till the current and recent sales data comes through and i'll get your stat that shows large falls in Brisbane.

Lastly, i don't get angry, i dont even get emotional about this stuff. Do you?

the only problem with your statement is the part that starts of with "I'd say..."

because my rebuttal would be "I'd say your wrong"

and now what? we both scream louder and louder at each other.

who cares what you or me "think" whats the reality? the facts?

Rather than spin incoherent rubbish how about trying to show a single ACTUAL stat showing a 10 or 20% fall for Brisbane? or QLD as a whole?

So tiring, because you wont show any evidence just anecdotal rubbish "but he said she said" rubbish or worse something Keen said..

seriously.. find evidence, come back and then well talk till then ill be happily staring at the rpdata figures which show 16.2% growth for 2008 in Brisbane.

i know i know.. its all a conspiracy, rpdata is just a property developer stooge who gets their stats from land titles who are also paid off by real estate agents.. - whatever so tiring.

yes i know... its all a conspiracy to prove you and the likes of Keen wrong.

Heres the facts.. prices haven't fallen but sales volumes have fallen.

gritting your teeth? - tempa tempa, just relax and go find that stat to prove me wrong, its easy.... a single solitary stat showing price falls for Brisbane dropping 10%.

Back