Perth - Non council approved garage

Hey guys, I'm looking at a place that has an approved carport built that has been converted into a garage. The garage has not been approved by council.

What are your thoughts? Get a builder to inspect to ensure it has been built to correct spec?

Is it possible to get an approval from council after its built?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a place that has an approved carport built that has been converted into a garage. The garage has not been approved by council.

What are your thoughts? Get a builder to inspect to ensure it has been built to correct spec?

Is it possible to get an approval from council after its built?
First step is to find out if it required approval or if it is exempt from development approval. If it required planning approval then you can apply to council for a retrospective planning approval. If not, you can get the equivalent through the building section but it is not a retrospective approval, it is a kind of certification. I never really understood the difference but the Planning Department and Building Department will be able to advise further.

First step is to find out if it required approval or if it is exempt from development approval. If it required planning approval then you can apply to council for a retrospective planning approval. If not, you can get the equivalent through the building section but it is not a retrospective approval, it is a kind of certification. I never really understood the difference but the Planning Department and Building Department will be able to advise further.

If the garage does not require retrospective planning approval it will need a Building Approval Certificate which will need to be certified by a private building surveyor.

If the garage does not require retrospective planning approval it will need a Building Approval Certificate which will need to be certified by a private building surveyor.
Thanks Sampo. That's what I was thinking of, I just could not remember what they call it.

Back