Perth property listings - under 9,000

The marketing on brick here must have been fantastic given real estate agents appear compelled to tell prospective buyers a house is brick veneer as though it is up there with a triple homicide having occurred.

The brick manufacturing marketing efforts 30 years ago convinced people it was the best method.

I have heard the Perth brick manufacturing industry and the players involved have a lot of power in the right places which may explain the resistance to better and cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:
When I was in yr 10 about 1993 I still recall our school getting a reformed criminal in to talk to us about booze and drugs. I still recall him telling us to stick with light beer.

Anyway how this is relevant to the two story costs is that he explained that his time as a crim he learnt to walk at the edges of corridors as the timber creaked less there. If he had been a burglar in Perth no issue as the while thing you can move around in as silent as a cat.

On that Perth marketing, yes I had heard about the brick industries efforts in the 80s / 90s after I asked a real estate why she was warming me about a brick veneer. When she said it is a factor when trying to sell I learnt about these marketing tactics etc.

Anyway good on them I love seeing examples of mass stupidity being brought on from marketing alone.

Oddly enough one good thing about the Perth market is that termites in your fence or back shed does not make your house a near write off. In Sydney perfectly good properties are written off because of evidence of previous termite activity. I think this is only a result of slick marketing on behalf of the pest management industry that has convinced many that termites = house destroyed.

The brick manufacturing marketing efforts 30 years ago convinced people it was the best method.

I have heard the Perth brick manufacturing industry and the players involved have a lot of power in the right places which may explain the resistance to better and cheaper alternatives.

Don't you think asbestos may have to do with it, too? A lot of older brick veneer is asbestos lined.

Isn't it more a case of old houses might have asbestos in the kitchen and small bathrooms?

Anyway, don't get me wrong I am happy with my double brick single story house. My comments relate more for two story where double brick is a big part of the reason 2 story homes cost in Perth is far more than single per square metre and this is not the case on the east coast for like for like quality dwellings.

supply tightening, market running hot... I didn't expect this, I thought we may head back to a more balanced market. Might be a spill over from the Sydney boom? either way the RBA has its hands tied and a price break out seems to be unfolding

Property Listed For Perth

Listed For Sale - 6Aug14

4 weeks ago

supply tightening, market running hot... I didn't expect this, I thought we may head back to a more balanced market. Might be a spill over from the Sydney boom? either way the RBA has its hands tied and a price break out seems to be unfolding

Listed For Sale - 6Aug14

4 weeks ago

I agree about the price break out! 

My BA says Perths middle/outer areas are still growing. He believes areas like Armadale, Gosnells and surrounds will see good growth next year & that Perth is half way through it's cycle. Mine settles in September so im quite excited and hopeful to see some equity gain next year. I picked it up for a good price.

I still haven't been able to sell my 1 bed unit. I think I'll just take it off the market and try again next year.

Listed For Sale - 6Aug14

4 weeks ago

I'm not sure I'd call it market running hot. One week of it going down does not make it hot or a trend.

I don't feel that Gosnells and surroundings can go up further in a short time. I would be happy if I am wrong though.

The rents went up around 2012 and the property prices followed. It seems that the rents peaked and then came down a bit. And the prices sort of stabilised around 350k.

But of course the yields in these areas are good. So the investors may push the prices further. But can the demographic of this area afford further price increase? I am not sure.

I'm not sure I'd call it market running hot. One week of it going down does not make it hot or a trend.

it's been building up since the beginning of the year. next weeks listings may well be up, down or sideways but as a longer trend the numbers are really being felt on the street. which makes perfect sense, with the listings so well below a balanced market it's an anomaly that the capital values haven't been sky rocketing

I still haven't been able to sell my 1 bed unit. I think I'll just take it off the market and try again next year.

Crappy REA?High expectations?Crap marketing?Not meeting the market?Lowering the price Eg:200k + to bring in more punters?Sell by set date?Auction? Etc Etc?

Crappy REA?High expectations?Crap marketing?Not meeting the market?Lowering the price Eg:200k + to bring in more punters?Sell by set date?Auction? Etc Etc?

Could also be the fact that it is under 50 sqm, harder to source finance and higher risk proposition in terms of growth.

Properties listed for sale - 10,255 (West Aust. 6.9.14)

Properties listed 12 months ago - 9113.

What did we call a balanced market - 12,000.

I have no idea, I still believe the market is still good depending on the price point.

Properties listed for sale - 10,255 (West Aust. 6.9.14)

Properties listed 12 months ago - 9113.

What did we call a balanced market - 12,000.

I have no idea, I still believe the market is still good depending on the price point.

around where I live I notice everything has sold again, even the main road locations barely last a week.

I assume those property figures are for the entire W.A state and not just Perth?
Would be good to see the break down of the metro area for better comparison.

Back