Perth property listings - under 9,000

I have heard the Perth brick manufacturing industry and the players involved have a lot of power in the right places which may explain the resistance to better and cheaper alternatives.

There's currently a very long wait in Perth for brickies. And bricklayers are charging a very high rate. The time has come when builders will look at alternatives to double brick.

There's currently a very long wait in Perth for brickies. And bricklayers are charging a very high rate. The time has come when builders will look at alternatives to double brick.

Builders have been looking at alternatives for some time. Try selling something that isn't double brick to someone though...

Change is still a few years away at this stage. Still a handful of bricklayers floating around (no new ones coming through apprenticeships though, so the days are numbered).

We were advised by our agent not to increase rent on our Perth IP a couple of months ago. However, had it revalued and got strong capital gain in the last 12 months.

What is the economy like over east for tradies? I hear they are still moving to WA.

Depends on the trade. It's all about infrastructure over here which will keep me busy and well compensated for the next five to ten years, not sure what will happen after it though. I don't pay a lot of attention to the residential construction market.

Ive just designed 40x apts in Midland using the R9 product. Sold like hotcakes OTP and we specifically mentioned alternate construction.

People want the conc slab. Walls tend to be a secondary concern in this space now.

Change is coming and its coming fast.

Builders have been looking at alternatives for some time. Try selling something that isn't double brick to someone though...

Change is still a few years away at this stage. Still a handful of bricklayers floating around (no new ones coming through apprenticeships though, so the days are numbered).

My builder tells me there is a skill shortage for all trades at the moment.

Perhaps back to looking o/seas

Ive just designed 40x apts in Midland using the R9 product. Sold like hotcakes OTP and we specifically mentioned alternate construction.

People want the conc slab. Walls tend to be a secondary concern in this space now.

Change is coming and its coming fast.

Aaron, what would you say the % saving would be compared to double brick? Or a per sqm figure?

And no real difference in the achievable sales price?

Still think we are a long way off double brick being the minority.

We build architecturally designed one-offs. People have 100% control on what they want, and the money to do so, and still don't see much that isn't double brick construction.

Great time to be a bricklayer at the moment anyway.

I think idealistic locations such as south west/Margaret River etc. these work well and sell well, but the Perth mindset is still not grabbing I don't believe.

This will make you laugh, I am paying 540K building costs for 4 townhouses in Melb, yes, that's right, not double brick of course, they don't care, and having a double garage that is a gift, single carport will do. We are too fussy here, I think its going to take another 20 years at this rate for Perthians to get over it.

Back