Perth Property Market updates

The Swan river - is pretty meh. It must look horrible compared to Sydneys harbour, Melbournes and Brisbanes river. Much prefer to live near the ocean and thats what Perth has then in the city near hussle and bussle looking at the groggiest river.
I've just temporarily moved one street from the river. My kids bikes that have sat around for the past two years are now being used daily. There is something nice about bike riding along the river - nice seeing heaps of varieties of birds, pelicans, ducks. Seeing dolphins is nice also, even watching fish jump. It's great the kids are outdoors and being active. Possibly living in a small house rather than large comfortable house helps! Nice parkland close by is great also. Gives the area a lot of community feel! It is amazing what a different lifestyle you can have living in a different suburb.
Looking forward to trying out the canoe's in the Xmas break!

I do always wonder 'Why do we want to live close to the city?' constantly asking myself that question and i struggle to come up with answers especially in Perth.
I live close to the CBD because I work in the CBD. Apart from that, I rarely go there. The big box shopping centres offer more IMO.

Much prefer to live near the ocean and thats what Perth has then in the city near hussle and bussle looking at the groggiest river.
I hate the beach, so that rules out beachside for me! :D

+Sanj/HE:)

I lived in suburbia many years ago now and we moved because it did not fulfil our needs at the time.

Facilities were far and few, and to get anywhere you needed a car. We had the beach, but I am not a beach person, funny thing is most in the area that raved on about the beautiful beaches also rarely frequented the beach. Perhaps it was too much like hard work, not sure?

I rarely go to Perth, Northbridge sometimes but I have everything at my doorstep, great schools, shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, shopping precincts, grocery stores, fine food/gourmet food stores etc. etc.

I also like the fact that my children have benefited from living in inner city and the community atmosphere it provides. We also have our family close by and the benefits of this is huge.

The trade off was when we sold our home in suburbia we had to take out another mortgage and that hurt, but the pain was worth it.

MTR:)

+Sanj/HE:)

I lived in suburbia many years ago now and we moved because it did not fulfil our needs at the time.

Facilities were far and few, and to get anywhere you needed a car. We had the beach, but I am not a beach person, funny thing is most in the area that raved on about the beautiful beaches also rarely frequented the beach. Perhaps it was too much like hard work, not sure?

I rarely go to Perth, Northbridge sometimes but I have everything at my doorstep, great schools, shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, shopping precincts, grocery stores, fine food/gourmet food stores etc. etc.

I also like the fact that my children have benefited from living in inner city and the community atmosphere it provides.

The trade off was when we sold our home in suburbia we had to take out another mortgage and that hurt, but the pain was worth it.

MTR:)

If I ever move more than 15km from CBD, I'll be going 150km North to Lancelin.

Inbetween is just the worst of both worlds.

If I ever move more than 15km from CBD, I'll be going 150km North to Lancelin.

Inbetween is just the worst of both worlds.

Yes, I know what you mean, I got lost out that way, I thought I may die, but fortunately I had a tank of fuel and had the sense to just turn the car the other way and hoped for the best. I was one of the lucky ones I made it home:p

Yes, I know what you mean, I got lost out that way, I thought I may die, but fortunately I had a tank of fuel and had the sense to just turn the car the other way and hoped for the best. I was one of the lucky ones I made it home:p

I was a building supervisor for a project builder for 2 years in the Butler to Alkimos area.

Our office was in Osborne Park, and at the time there was no phone reception in the part of Alkimos where I had homes.

So couldn't call people, couldn't "swing past the office" or "duck down to bunnings".

Can honestly say it added to the build time.

I live 17 km from Perth CBD in a suburb considered bogan suburb.

My work place is just 8-10 minutes. Two shopping centers (with all supermarkets, fast food places, library and all the shops we ever go to) are within 5 minutes. Major shopping center, Bunnings etc in 10 minutes. All the places I travel to (including the airport) are within 20 minutes.

A park behind the house and a nice neighborhood.

I need a navigator to go to Perth. Each to their own :p

I live 17 km from Perth CBD in a suburb considered bogan suburb.

My work place is just 8-10 minutes. All supermarkets, fast food places, library etc within 5 minutes. Major shopping center in 10 minutes. All the places I travel to (including the airport) are within 20 minutes.

A park behind the house and a nice neighborhood.

I need a navigator to go to Perth. Each to their own :p

Think straight line I am 14ish km.

And pretty much all the same as above, though I go to Perth a bit since I am 20's and have lots of FIFO mates who like drinking.

Marisa-Totally agree, you're in Mt Lawley aren't you? Amenities offered there are significantly higher than majority of perth

Marisa-Totally agree, you're in Mt Lawley aren't you? Amenities offered there are significantly higher than majority of perth

Yes I am.
Also notice North Perth, Mt Hawthorn has changed over recent years, more vibrant. Perhaps Perthians are changing and going for the inner city lifestyle, proximity to everything and the trade off is apartments over the huge backyard in the burbs

as an aside. Does anyone know of "Fremantle people" the type that live, work and play in Freo and surrounds only?

Many of my relatives rarely venture beyond. Going to Perth is like going to Mars for them.

Yes I am.
Also notice North Perth, Mt Hawthorn has changed over recent years, more vibrant. Perhaps Perthians are changing and going for the inner city lifestyle, proximity to everything and the trade off is apartments over the huge backyard in the burbs

I'm loving the burbs! Kids and hubby were playing backyard cricket last night while I made dinner. The making dinner is the only bad bit!

I have tried most areas at some point.

My folks live in Subi, and were both brought up in the Western Burbs - they never left. My brother and his wife wouldn't be able to spell a postcode outside the "Golden Triangle". They moved from Tuart Hill to Wembley Downs and commented that it was nice to live in a suburb "with a decent post code" (all tounge in cheek of coarse).
My sisters husband wanted to live closer to his parents (Wanaroo). They settled on Gwelup to the horror of the rest of my family (Sooooo far away).

I on the other hand left the leafy western suburbs (as quickly as possible - aged 15), and lived in rural WA for my adult life, then 2 years living in South Freo (before heading OS). My family didn't batter an eyelid. I guess they new I was strange (or maybe they were just happy to get rid of me).

If you want all the amenities, plus be close to the city centre I cant recommend moving to the country (eat a lot of peaches) more. I lived in Gero for 4+ years and loved it. Everything is measured in minutes (its 8minutes to work, its 4minutes to the pool, 2minutes to the beach, etc). As a small city it still has everything you need - except maybe high end shopping and selection of 'big' purchases (cars, boats, etc). But then Perth is 5hrs away, or 1hr flight. Anything you do in the city is available. I would also consider moving to other places (I like Carnarvon too). I have lived in a lot of country towns (Northam, Albany, Bunbury, Narrogin, Broome) and have spent a lot of time in places like Augusta, Carnarvon, Lancelin etc. I would rather live in a country town than the city.

In saying that though, living in South Freo is great. If I ever move back I think that is probably going to be a starting point. Close to the rail line to get to the city (if you ever need to go). Ride everywhere. Nice beaches.

I have plenty of friends in Freo who never venture further than Cott. They just don't have the need. I have family and friends who almost refuse to cross 'the bridge' to get to SOR (the hippies might be contagious).

for me... I love living in Kazakhstan

I guess there is a place for everyone, you just need to find it.

Blacky

My burbs is on fire! Contained to one house about 7 houses away from mine. Eek

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yes I am.

They are becoming very vibrant places with good cafe/art/alternative cultures. Quite Fremantle ish in a way.

I'm sitting writing this from Manhattan and I'm loving this intense inner city vibe which is full of life yet still beautiful. A delicate balance between concrete jungle, parks and people.

I see many ways that Perth has grown in this way but has so far to go to fully embrace living in the city. I am committed to bringing more inner city living to Perth. I just love working on these projects. I received a new concept design whilst I'm here for a project in North perth, 5 townhouses ( 4 of 2 bedders, 1 of one bedder) on what could be a traditional triplex block.

Back