Perth?

Hahahahaha!!! I stay in Shelley, which is the suburb adjoining Rossmoyne and on the river side... I was a Rossmoyne class of 1994 (any of you folks around here from RSHS too???)...

Anyway, Willetton and Riverton are both nice suburbs if you can get within the RSHS zone... A real-estate agent once told me there's a difference of around $50k between houses in and not in that zone (I think someone said $20k earlier in this thread?)... The major shopping center, as pointed out before, is Southlands and Riverton Forum... Both are great suburbian style shopping center and from here, the bigger ones like Carousel and Garden City Shopping Centers are not that far away - with the former about 5 mins heading towards the airport on Leach Highway and the latter about 10mins heading towards Fremantle on Leach Highway...

Food is fantastic... There are a whole bunch of Chinese restaurant at the end of Collins Road in a complex and where the new Roe Highway will be... Its one of the best eateries South of the River and I dine there once in a while... Food ranges from expensive to cheap and the cheap ones are usually packed out over the weekend... There's also a Sizzler at Riverton Forum where I usually dine after going through 40 hour famines... And loads of fast food takeaways, ie Hungry Jack's, Macs, KFC, Chicken Treat, Toppos Pizza, Subway, Dominos, Pizza Hut etc etc...

Southlands has an ACE cinema, which is great for watching new releases without the long queus, if you are not fussed about watching things in big screens and surround sounds... Otherwise Garden City or Carousel will do... Willetton and Riverton are about 20mins away from both the Domestic and International airport, making quick getaways really easy... The aquatic center opposite Riverton Forum is great and I swim there several times a week... It also has gym facilities and a library adjoining that place...

Aside of avoiding living on roads such as Vahland Ave, High Rd, Apsley Rd and Parry Ave, which are the major arteries around both areas, another road you should DEFINITELY avoid is Panamuna Drive in Willetton... This is a very short road about 500m long but its a link between the busier Pinetree Gulley Rd and Vahland Ave and I use it all the time to cross between these 2 roads and everytime I am on it, whether day or night, I always pass by at least 3 to 5 cars on the opposite side and can see at least 3 cars in front and maybe 2 at the back... They have recently put in some funky semi-roundabout things in the middle of the road to help slow down the cars but hasn't done anything to the traffic...

Direct buses that goes straight to CBD are numbers 878 and 877 pending on where you live (I may have gotten the numbers wrong though. Should double check)... These are express buses and takes the Kwinana Freeway off Leach Highway exit straight to CBD... A train station will be built on Leach Highway by 2006 but I won't be here as I am moving off to Melbourne... There's also a park-n-ride on South Street about 5mins away where you can leave your car and take the direct 185 bus to CBD...

Main campus of Curtin University is about 10mins from Riverton and maybe about 15mins from Willetton by car... Around that area, you should try to avoid Bentley cos I heard the crime rates are very high and the rental population there is also very high, catering for a lot of international students who go to Curtin...

I can't quite comment on the real-estate in Willetton/Riverton, but there are quite a few rental properties around there where people can rent, put their kids in school and then move away after a couple of years and their kids will still be ok to go to Rossmoyne High... Houses in Willetton/Riverton are generally rather old, which means they have big rooms and rather impractical kitchen, ie small and dark where you can't really see what you are cooking (what I have observed so far)... I guess the median starting would be around $275k to $300k and that should be within the Rossmoyne Zone...

Another suburb that you should try is Bullcreek, which is also in the Rossmoyne Zone and adjoining Willetton... Houses there are very varied because of a new estate that opened in Bullcreek in 1994-95 so houses there are relatively new... Elsewhere in Bullcreek the houses are old... I would say that Bullcreek is a lot closer to Rossmoyne High than Riverton...

Also there's the Canning Vale markets which is great for shopping for fresh vegies and they have a massive undercover Swap-Meet every Sunday and its always packed out... Fun stuff!!! This is at the end of Vahland avenue... There's also a rubbish dump site in Canning Vale, so there's quite a fair bit of crows in and around Willetton and Riverton thats closer to Canning Vale... The Canning Vale industrial area is also there...

Where I live, Shelley, apparently recorded the best growht of about 40% last year (someone correct me if I am wrong)... My house faces the river and properties here are nice but expensive, about $550k upwards with houses along the river fetching easily at least $1million... We are currently undergoing a bit of redevelopment now, where people are buying houses on big blocks of lands (you will be surprised to find that a lot of the houses here have their own private tennis courts) and subdividing it...

Ok... I have completely veered off topic but hope this helps...

slowdude

Reactions: Jas
A good summation Slowdude.

If you're aiming for the student market, find somewhere on the 98/99 bus route - this serves both Murdoch & Curtin.

Re Bentley, I lived there for 5 years and had no probs with crime.

However there's huge variations there. The houses around Bunning Park are about the poshest you'd see anywhere (with city views), whereas Brownlie Towers 5 min walk away was the opposite. I don't know if they've done up the units along Dumond St or not.

Bentley would be the sort of place you could buy a house and rent out by room to students.

Regards, Peter

You helped build the pool!!! Whow!!! So I was only 2 years old when they built it!!! eheheheh... That pool brings back a lot of sweet memories though... ahhhh!!! :p

The one thing I truly miss about Rossmoyne is their savoury buns... They used to be $0.50 each in 1990 and by the time I left they are up to $0.60... Haven't been able to find them outside of Rossmoyne yet and I have truly been through just about every single bakery in Perth... Just wish they would sell them outside!!! ;)

slowdude

hi Slowdude,

ahhh yes I had forgotten about the ol Chunder Buns.....yes they were great. Cant remember exactly what they cost tho, around 25c (I think). I used to buy the old cheesy buns too. For breakfast I used to buy a Large Choc Milk and a buttered bread roll before school.

Memories. :)

Hi all,

Rixter, im surprised you even went to school? :p

Spiderman, I'm glad you had no trouble while living in Bentley. I know some people who live there who have been broken into a couple of times. The paper recently quoted it as the most burgled suburb in Australia, too. For this reason I suspect a property with some security should fetch a little bit more rent here.

Slowdude, sounds like you've been around those suburbs for quite a while - thats some good local knowledge. They're the kinda suburbs I'd love to invest in, if/when I can afford there. There are some better suburbs in my price range for now.

-Regards

Dave

Better Areas in Perth

Hi Dave

would you like to share something about the areas you are looking at right now ...

I am new to Perth and researching areas both North and South of the River.. however a paper / etrail is very difficult .. being able to chat to someone with first hand observations would be great ...

Hoping to buy our first property in the new year .. anyone with thoughts on market timing ... I reckon May / June would be a good time to buy ?

regards

Hi Fifi,

If your strategy is Buy & Hold for long term Capital Growth then any time is the right time to buy - so long as you buy good quality well located properties at/or below fair market value, and those properties cater for current and/or future market place demands.

btw dt - I go to "IP School" now :D Its been 11 years since I bought my first property - How long since you bought your first? :p

Last edited:
If I am staying in Perth, these are the suburbs I will look at:

Preference 1:
Nedlands, Dalkeith, Crawley: Close to University of Western Australia (where I have been studying for the last 8 and half years... Talk about no life!!!)... I love this area, close to everything, CBD, Chinatown (Northbridge), Fremantle, Scarborough beaches etc etc... Although it would be extremely difficult to find a decent house under $600k...

Preference 2:
Rossmoyne, Shelley: I have lived here most of my life and know all the back routes to just about anywhere you want to go... Love the serenity the river provides and its generally a middle-upper class area with loads of friendly and kind neighbours... A bit far from CBD to my liking (about 15 to 20mins drive) but its where I grew up... There's 2 parts of Shelley though... One on the Rossmoyne side and the other on the opposite side of Leach Highway... Only look at the one on the Rossmoyne side...

Preference 3:
South Perth, Como: A lot closer to CBD... South Perth would be great, any of those houses just off Labouchere Road or sandwiched between Labouchere and Canning Highway is good on my books... Some of the houses are a little old though... These 2 suburbs come across to me as being a nice place to live... However, there's quite a lot of rental apartments here so crime could be an issue, pending on where you stay...

Preference 4:
Applecross, Attadale, Ardross: These areas are close to Garden City shopping center and are on the other side of the Kwinana Freeway when compared to South Perth and Como... Houses here are humungous in some areas, especially the waterfront area in Attadale... Applecross Senior High is another good high school I have heard of... I don't quite like the river on this part though because they are a lot more busy (there's a free- driving range on a big strip of land facing the river in Attadale... Just bring your balls and tee away, but have to take the trouble to pick them up later)... Houses here can be expensive also...

Yup... These are the places I would look at if I am buying houses in Perth for a PPOR... Places I wouldn't even consider are Winthrop, Nollarama (how you spele this!??!), Thornlie, Rivervale, and Bentley off the top of my head for various reasons... North of the River is an area I am not too familiar with but Scarborough, Duncraig and maybe Double View are places that looks quite appealing...

slowdude

Hi Slowdude,

Thats an interesting list of suburbs you have provided. Were you moreso talking about houses or units with regards to them? The reason I ask this is because units in those suburbs aren't doing terribly well, simply because of an oversupply - especially south perth / scarborough and some of crawley. On the other hand, if you were referring to houses, the houses in these suburbs are very expensive. Eg Dalkeith median is 1mil, and nedlands is probably not alot less.

The spreadsheet I created which is somewhere on this forum contains the past growth figures for every suburb in Perth. It seems to me you've nominated suburbs you like as opposed to suburbs you think will do well? In saying this, if one's strategy is to buy and hold 'glamorous' houses, then I guess those suburbs you mentioned would make you quite wealthy if done correctly.

-Food for thought.

Dave

Hi Dave - I think slowdude was thinking more about suburbs he'd buy a PPOR as opposed to invest in.

Though I thought that all of the 'suburbs to avoid' have/had some merits for investing, eg:

Winthrop - ugly ostentatious suburb but possibly student accom
Nollamara - not particularly salubrious, but handy to CBD
Thornlie - cheapish suburb, but will benefit from rail link
Rivervale - convenient to CBD, near Belmont Forum, train and new freeway to city
Bentley - student market as near uni

Most if not all have had high CG, so won't give as good returns a few years ago.

Peter

Yup yup... sorry, the preferences I listed out are places that I would stay in, not necessary for investments but for the lifestyle and the bit of luxury that comes with it... :D Though that said, I am sure the appreciation of houses (as opposed to units) in these areas will definitely gain in long term so great as PPOR and long-term investment I guess...

Very true about what Spiderman said about Bentley... There's just so many rental houses there its not funny anymore... I think investors who bought into that area to rent out got hit quite badly when Curtin University decided to build their own student accomodation units about 3 years ago, but then again, there are still students who prefer to rent their own residence...

slowdude

In relation to student accomodation, there seems to be a pattern where new students move on-campus, but after a while move into a house or flat with friends.

Is the new accommodation at Curtin cheaper or dearer than a room in a shared house?

When I was looking (c 1990), the residential colleges near UWA were somewhere near $140pw, the cheapest place at Curtin (Guild House) was $35pw and others were over $50pw. You could get a room in an old shared house in Bentley for about $45pw. The full rate of Austudy was around $120pw.

As to whether the on-campus accommodation is a theat to rentals in the area depends on what type of accommodation is provided - dirt cheap as in Guild House or expensive as in a residential college.

Peter

Yeh, the residential colleges at UWA are still rather expensive, although they include food and room services so students wouldn't have to be bothered with any sort of cooking/cleaning other than the stuff they wear... I am not too sure about Curtin though... All of my overseas friends who studied there rented houses on their own and seems to be much more fun that way... Oh well...

Help!

I am very tempted to buy a very well located (v.close to water, no views) unit in Shoalwater in the South.

What does everyone think the market will do down there in the next 2 to 3 years???

Thanks!!

I was hoping someone could give me some information regarding East Perth. From what I understand the average pricing has only moved 30% since 1997 with high and low fluctuations. Does anyone know why this is?

I'm not from Perth so know little about this suburb and am wondering why so little capital growth so close to the city.

I've only gone East Perth past on the train, but I'd think 'vacancy' and 'oversupply'.

Is there actually much there apart from lots of apartment blocks? Inner-city places like St Kilda and Southbank have lots of shops, nightlife and good public transport, but can East Perth boast this?

If I was a yuppie looking for a trendy pad, I'd go for Subiaco rather than East Perth. The only disadvantage of the former would be lack of water views but it would be closer to the beach.

Peter

I concurr with Spiderman - Oversupply & Vacancy Rates, and there is still unimproved land in the area yet to developed.

However as with all good quality, well located property & the land is totally built out then overtime (5-10 years) todays prices will seem miniscule. Its just a matter of whether you sustain the cashflows within the intial purchase periods to reap the future returns.:)

Back