Planing a reno - But where to start?

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for the unlimited information we can find here, it is great!
Secondly, I bought a semi just over a year ago and now planning for bub number two we realized that we desperately need more space. So we are planning a renovation but I have no idea where to start. So I have a few questions hoping someone can help...

1. I kind of have a couple of ideas of what we want to add (2 bedrooms and a bathroom plus open up living/kitchen space and put a new kitchen) and where however because the house has a very tricky floor plan, we might need some help planning the new floor plan, but can't really afford to spend thousands of dollars on an architect. Is there another solution? Would a builder / construction company be able to help?
2. Who should be my first point of contact? Should I start calling building companies?
3. Any advice about what my steps should be would be greatly appreciated. Also I plan to project manage it myself to save money.

Thanks a lot
Malu

..... Also I plan to project manage it myself to save money.

Malu, you plan to Project Manage it and yet clearly you have no idea where to even start. Not only will you not save money, you will cost yourself money. You will get trades out of sequence. Tradies will pick on your inexperience and load their quotations to put up with working with you :( if indeed they want to work with you at all - many won't.

1. Get a draftsman if you don't want to pay an architect.

Back