Planned holidays for 2009?

Sue78, my twin sons turn 8 today, so I hope that's enough incentive for your twins to arrive today - I promise I'll always remember their birthdays!

Gee Cee and I - both having experienced premature twins - are most intrigued by this concept of "full-term twins who aren't ready to come out". It must be very cosy in there! :D

I know I've been very lucky. This pg is very similar to my first. Besides the first 16 weeks of MS, it has been trouble free. I have never been in natural labour since Ds was induced too. I am pretty sure I will make it to induction next week. Both are head down so hopefully a natural birth. I think my body is getting ready. Apparently, they are small babies about 5.5 to 6 pounds each.

Happy Birthday to your Boys!! I saw twin boys 12 weeks old at doc's yesterday and they were just so adorable!! I'm so looking forward to meeting my babies.

Start spreading the news ...

I've found a deal that gets me to LA (return) for a little over $1k. From there, internal flight to NY for US$129.
My question, for those who have done the NY thing, how much time do I want to be there for? I guess I need a balance between being there long enough to see the sights but not too long due to high accom costs.
Any thoughts would be warmly received.
If it all works out, I could be there for my birthday!!

Our plans (wife & I):

Melbourne for 3 day weekend in 2 weeks time (booked, FF points)
Vietnam 16 days in June/July (booked, $2700 cost for flights, accom, internal travel for both of us)

Currently in the 'planning' stages for a 6 week Europe trip 2010...we were initially thinking April-May but now might go for a white Christmas as it fits better with work, bit cheaper and nice to see snow.

That will just about do us for the next 12 months.

I've found a deal that gets me to LA (return) for a little over $1k. From there, internal flight to NY for US$129.
My question, for those who have done the NY thing, how much time do I want to be there for? I guess I need a balance between being there long enough to see the sights but not too long due to high accom costs.
Any thoughts would be warmly received.
If it all works out, I could be there for my birthday!!
I find these forum helpful , you may have already known about them but if not have a look.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28953-i4-New_York.html

I'm depressed coz babies don't want to come out so decided to plan our holiday for this yr to cheer myself up. Hubby thinks I'm nuts lol. Took about 3 hrs of net surfing.

There are some really good deals atm.

We are thinking of California in Sept school holidays with a budget of $5k.

Flights direct Bris to La (2 adults, 1 child, 2 infants) Virgin
10 days
Including:
3 days tour to Las Vegas 3 (inc GC West Rim but will probably give that a miss)
3 days tour to San Fran and Yosemite
5 nights at various hotels
LA hop on hop off
airport transfers
LV night tour
SF night tour
2 day hopper pass to Disneyland

all up $4439 which is pretty good value.

My mil might tag along but we will ask her to pay for herself this time. About $1.5k all inc and we will pay for all food and any extra tours etc.

Have you planned a holiday this year? ppl with kids tend to have to plan much earlier to coz of school holidays. Looked into a cruise but better to wait to all the kids are 3+ for kids club and it's a lot more expensive.

Hi Sue78
may I ask what travel agent are you with, as I am going to US this easter for 2 weeks, looking for around 7 day tour in LA and las vegas, sea world, it costs around $3000 ( 2 adults + 2 kids) excluding tix from Sydney to SF , ( we will need to stop at SF for a frist few days )
thanks
MJ

MJD - I arranged it myself on the net. No travel agents.

Just book directly with hotels, there's also the California City pass which offers great value for theme parks and check out www.gotobus.com

Flying Jetstar to Syd-Christchurch in Sept for $640 inlcduing taxes etc (2 adults, 2 small kids...but not infants). Will head straight to Q'town when we land and possibly squeeze in Milford Sound if we can, weather permitting.

Stripping tax away, that was $58 return pp. Was considering a trip to Asia but wasnt planning to go to NZ/Queenstown (again) but I cant resist a bargain, thats a weakness that's led to me buying more IPs than I should have.

Rob

NYC is great but do the W'Coast as well - drive along the Big Sur and I love San Fran. Probably mor than NYC strangely enough, and no, i'm not gay.

Rob
NYC is great but do the W'Coast as well - drive along the Big Sur and I love San Fran. Probably mor than NYC strangely enough, and no, i'm not gay.

Neither am I.
Did LA, Vegas, San Diego and SFO in 2000. I've got a burning desire to see Chrysler Building, Empire State, Walk the Brooklyn Bridge and visit Wall St.
Been looking at some NY city hotel prices. I'm still in shock. Hundreds per night in $US.

Yep, hotel prices are a killer. When I was there in '01 (before Sept 11), we stayed in a hotel that was undergoing building works so rates were tolerable..about $150 AUD. We went out during the day and partied at night so wasnt an issue.

One tip, its VERY trendy in the hip pockets of NYC eg Soho, Greenwich Village etc so be dressed well.

One thing you wont be able to do is go up the WTC which we did. Thankfully not on Sept 11. But there's more to NYC than the tourist sites. Just walking up and down Manhattan, Central Park, dealing with abrupt New Yorkers, grabbing a hot dog, Staten Island ferry will do more for the experience, than
check 1. Guggenheim
check 2. Wall street
Check 3. Empire State etc

Not that you shoudnt do that. But its the buzz of the city you want to soak up first and foremost. But everyone places diff value on things.

Living in the Maldives - that sounds fantastic. Have you shared your story with the forum before?

Unfortunately its not that exciting. Maldives is definately a beatiful place but I live in the Captital City with my wife who is a Maldivian. The Capital city is 2Kms long x 1 Km wide and theres 130,000 people living there. Pretty much full on 24 hours a day and very different to what you see on the lifestyle programmes on TV.

Nothing much to share with the forum in ways of a story but have some projects about to start that could be worth sharing in the future.

Mark

Thanks for that HG. Great info. I've only just started looking at hotel prices, but at forst glance, the cheapest I can see is around US$348 per night. I might have to sell an IP just to pay the hotel bill :eek:

Unfortunately its not that exciting. Maldives is definately a beatiful place but I live in the Captital City with my wife who is a Maldivian. The Capital city is 2Kms long x 1 Km wide and theres 130,000 people living there. Pretty much full on 24 hours a day and very different to what you see on the lifestyle programmes on TV.

Nothing much to share with the forum in ways of a story but have some projects about to start that could be worth sharing in the future.

Mark

I was picturing a lavish lifestyle in an overwater bungalow via LOE or excess positive cashflow. One day for you, and me hopefully. Hving said that, I wonder how much it does cost to rent/buy a house on the water. In 100 yrs or so, might not matter, you wont be by the water, youd be under it.

HG,

The only place you would get a place on the water would be a resort, Prices would start around $600 US per nigh to a few thousand Dollars.Land villas a bit cheaper.

If you want to rent in the Capital Male even more. Its almost impossible to buy land but if you can find something it wont be under a million US for a few hundred sq metres. If you have a small piece of land you get extremely good returns. A relative of my wifes built a 10 story apartment. He took the top three floors for himself and the rest he made into 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, 3 per floor. His goal was to pay it off in three years but only took him 2 and half.

The high cost of renting is one of the reasons for such a high population as it forces families to share. You often find people married people and their children living n one bedroom of the parents house. You could easily find 10 people living in one apartment.

Mark

Our plans (wife & I):

Vietnam 16 days in June/July (booked, $2700 cost for flights, accom, internal travel for both of us)

Currently in the 'planning' stages for a 6 week Europe trip 2010...we were initially thinking April-May but now might go for a white Christmas as it fits better with work, bit cheaper and nice to see snow.

Vietnam- book as many things there as you can. They are a fraction of the price of the brochures. I hope you are going to Sapa. My favourite place in Vietnam (not that I've been everywhere- yet)

I've been planning my Europe trip for months. It's driving me crazy. So much to see and do. I've already earmarket where I'm going on my next Europe trip and I haven't left for this one yet. A white Christmas is on my list of must do's.

Been looking at some NY city hotel prices. I'm still in shock. Hundreds per night in $US..

I had the same problem with Italy. Try hostelworld. They do have backpacker type stuff but also reasonable apartments and hotels. I used the in Vietnam and in Italy too. My son is going to NY next month. I'll let you know how he goes with cheap accom.

MJD- if you have time visit the Freemont experience in Las Vegas. It's the old section. It was great for me as I visited Las Vegas 30 yars ago and it brought back great memories. They have tours but just get the local bus.
And don't pay for any drinks. Sit at a slot machine and just order (free)drinks. I love San Francisco. LA not so much.

Back