Please compare these 2 - display home quality vs quality given to me

If they are willing to render the front facade ... then that is your best option.
personally I don't think it looks bad ... often people pay extra for these restoration red bricks because they look imperfect.

It really does come down to what your expectation was and what you actually signed for.

Not all project builders make a policy of cutting corners ... but i agree no one is perfect either.

Good luck

Guys,
I think I should save myself the headache, time and delay(of rectifying brick) and tell them to render the whole front facade.

If i tell them to fix the brick here and there, but the poor quality of the brick and unequal quantity of red/black bricks could still make it look like a dog's breakfast. Im thinking perhaps I shouldnt take the risk and just ask them to render, the end of all problems.

(see a few posts above my render test picsdone in photoshop)

I'd look for a way to turn this into a win win for you and the builder.
Don't just go up to the builder and ask him to render it, you need to let the builder know your dissatisfied with the brick work.
I'd be pushing your negotiating skills here, and see if you can get the builder to suggest he renders the lot. If not just casually slip it in as a proposed solution to both your problems (your unhappy with the brickwork, builders got an unhappy client)
Then I'd be raising the discussion about costs, depending how well you can push it I'd expect the builder to pay for some to all of the render. I'd be really suprised if they paid the lot, but make sure they pay for some.

The end of the day you'll walk away happy you no longer have a brickwork problem and you got a nice render finish, and hopefully the builder thinks hes done the right thing by you. WIN WIN

yup i already wrote him an email, telling him the facebrick looks like a dog's breakfast. He agrees with me, saying the batch quality is different. Says he's written an email to the brick manufacturer and awaiting their response.

I did suggest to render it, as a solution to end all problems. Rendering it will save him and me time and headache of trying to rectify what poor brick quality did to the facade( a problem that I don't think we can easily rectify anyway). Say if we spend all the time removing the bricks, and getting the windowhead details right, and replacing the window sill, and then let me judge the result again, it still may or may not turn out satisfactory. Say if he did rectify the bricks by taking them out and replace, if i still think the result looks like a dog's breakfast, it would be unfair to him since he did what he can according to my directions. Seems fair to me and him if we render it.

He replied saying he witholds decision until we hear from the brick company in a few days time.

Unless the brick layer was blind or laying bricks in the dark...he should have picked up the problem with the batch quality and made the supervisor and possibly the client aware of the problem.

If the brick layer was slack then the the foreman or supervisor should have picked up the problem while the bricks where being laid.

I guess the best outcome here is getting the front rendered at cost for a win win result. The typical cost for a render is $30 per sqm and around $14 per sqm for a textured paint.

Good luck.

I'd hazard a guess that the brickies omitted the "lintel" brick details due to the reduced height, there is at least 1' - 300mm difference between the display home windows (and consequently the wall) and those in Rodimus's property.............as I think was previously mentioned, it is possible that the display home had higher ceilings and this was not specified or requested for R's property, hence the overall different appearance.

:cool:

Yay!:)

I won! Got a resolution from the Project manager and the brick company.

So even the brick company agrees their facebrick looks !$#@%.

I'm wondering if I should ask them to render the whole house and not just the front small part?? Or maybe also get a compensation for the side and back wall?

This is what the project manager is saying:

"The building is continuing

They have responded this morning and have offered a generous solution, they have agreed to render the front of the house for you

The brick is a bit different from the display because they have moved factory and get their clay from a different location

Please advise the render colour selection"

is there a dancing in joy emoticon?:p

BY THE WAY, should i also push for a discount for the side and back wall bricks????

Last edited:
is there a dancing in joy emoticon?:p

BY THE WAY, should i also push for a discount for the side and back wall bricks????

Congrats thats good to hear that it was all sorted... now you just got the problem of picking render colors, I'm not offering any advice on that one sorry :D

I am not realy sure that display homes, are to show you what your getting or to announce this is the quality of the company's work , iether way when you purchase a home after seeing the display, things change and often owners like to make some changes to get a more personal product, In this case the Brick company agreed to take responsability and a fair outcome has been reached, and the window might have been raised a little , hence the header course being different?
But nun the less , these homes do not come from a factory and the same factory lines etc, the brick layers on this home probly never saw the display and as the bricks were delivered they were layed!
homes are built within certain specs and they have boundries, ie carpenters, brickies and window manufactures, these things should be expected to change as the time in planing to compleation may be up to 1 year.
But this seems to have a good out come , and a simple one to, i am so happy you did'nt go with the " your cutting cost and go in hard ball attitude all guns blazing " Most builders do every thing in their power to get happy customers its just good buisseness sence. and estimating a job has its own issues as prices do change.good out come.

dude i need closure,

how did it all go in the end?

He was looking for tenants as per this post

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=432909&postcount=424

He then got screwed by the PM when renting it out

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47847

and now the first tenant and second tenant have overlapped

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51670

Its a steep learning curve that we all have to go through.

I guess its up to the individual as to what they take from these experiences which then determines their future plans and actions.

By this I mean that some people will rise to the occasion resolve the problems and it becomes part of their tool kit for future dealings whilst other people may be defeated by them and never want to make another investment again.

Cheers

Handyandy

what do u mean by yout post with all your assumptions about me?
while you are there making yourself standout like someone who is very experienced and capable while claiming others have 'steeper learning curve' than you and others may 'be defeated by them' or 'never wants to invest again', bear in mind those issues i encountered were due to no fault of my own, but due to actions by builders or consultants, and i took action to solve them. If you are in a business, you got to handle other people who will have different ways of doing things, different ways of handling things.

1) how would i know the manufacturer had moved their factory to a new mining site would the brick colour ended up different and still call it the same brick name?
Furthermore, in the end i SOLVED it by filing complaints, having meetings with the builder, and having the manufacturer compensate me and rendered the whole front facade and painted it, none of my own cost. In the end the building facade is way much better looking, more modern, and easier to be cleaned and updated in the future., Satisfied?

2)the agent is advertising my property at lower rental than i like
I solved this by advertising myself and getting about $50pw more.

Satisfied?

Huh???

I am making no assumptions about you in this post.

I have simply documented posts made by you about your trails and tribulations and outlined how these sort of problems that can make or break an investor - any investor - it will make some rise to the occasion and become stronger but most will weaken and withdraw.

Its up to you what you do and to which category you will polarize - time will tell.

Cheers

I guess its up to the individual as to what they take from these experiences which then determines their future plans and actions.

By this I mean that some people will rise to the occasion resolve the problems and it becomes part of their tool kit for future dealings whilst other people may be defeated by them and never want to make another investment again.

Cheers

Rodimus - You owe Handyandy an apology IMHO.

She/He was able to link your relevant posts so has obviously followed your property journey.

Plus she/he took the time to answer "I need closure post" from a fellow SS member who wanted to know what the outcome was.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Huh???

I am making no assumptions about you in this post.

I have simply documented posts made by you about your trails and tribulations and outlined how these sort of problems that can make or break an investor - any investor - it will make some rise to the occasion and become stronger but most will weaken and withdraw.

Its up to you what you do and to which category you will polarize - time will tell.

Cheers

Handyandy,

I apologize if your post was not really meant as a sarcastic remark about the ordeals I had been thru with the Builder and Agents. I'm sorry if i misunderstood you.

But i hope you understand, all these things that I had to deal with, I felt as a property owner, I was cleaning up after the agents/consultants and solving problems that are caused by them. I wonder what I pay them for, really. So a sarcastic remark about the ordeal I went thru was the last thing I wanted from this forum. We all have agents and consultants, and we know they are not perfect. But if they are wrong and they do not admit it and try to sneak pass it time and time again (and pass the additional cost to you), it really is an ordeal to the Owner.

Example. if I had not insisted and persisted with the builder to lodge a complaint with the brick manufacturer, the Builder would say "well, we gave the same bricks to some owners and they're happy with it". In fact thats what he said, and I had to push for 2 - 3 weeks to get an resolution from the brick manufacturer. After all the photos, emails, letters, phonecalls, I was lucky they finally admitted to the obvious faults of their bricks. After 3 weeks!

As for the current agent who keeps screwing things up, I think I have learned something from all this. Fire them! Where before I was softhearted and listened to their excuses saying they did this and that for my own good, and then have them screw up the next thing and the next, sometimes i think being tolerant, understanding and kind to an agent who keeps mucking things up and costing me time and $$ to solve myself, its just not worth it.

Last week's complications with the vacating date of the current tenant was clearly the agent's lack of communication with me. I debated with them for 2 days, in the end, she said "ok, I agree, we should have, we could have called you and informed you, to keep you informed". After 2 days of them saying its totally none of their fault. All that to me is, a waste of time and energy, solving things that could have been easily avoided by the agent.

I am not realy sure that display homes, are to show you what your getting or to announce this is the quality of the company's work , iether way when you purchase a home after seeing the display, things change and often owners like to make some changes to get a more personal product, In this case the Brick company agreed to take responsability and a fair outcome has been reached, and the window might have been raised a little , hence the header course being different?
But nun the less , these homes do not come from a factory and the same factory lines etc, the brick layers on this home probly never saw the display and as the bricks were delivered they were layed!
homes are built within certain specs and they have boundries, ie carpenters, brickies and window manufactures, these things should be expected to change as the time in planing to compleation may be up to 1 year.
But this seems to have a good out come , and a simple one to, i am so happy you did'nt go with the " your cutting cost and go in hard ball attitude all guns blazing " Most builders do every thing in their power to get happy customers its just good buisseness sence. and estimating a job has its own issues as prices do change.good out come.

I thought the display home was there to show people what sort of quality they could expect from the particular builder?

Obviously if you have a floor plan you like, you want to see what the building looks like as well, but I think you would have a very strong case if the quality of your build did not match the display home.

I think it would be worth taking photos of the display home while viewing it, has anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

Back