PM Charging Me $100 To Show IP To Prospective Tenants!

I've been with my PM for 2 years and only had one new tenant in my IP for that time. Last October my PM's agency was sold and I had to sign a new agency agreement. Yesterday with no explanation I received a copy of the agreement I had signed in October.

When I looked at it, clause F Inspections jumped out at me with $100 written very neatly in the space provided. I looked at the back of the agreement to see what it meant and it says "any prospective tenant is entitled to inspect the premises in the circumstances set out in item F of the Particulars". Next to the handwritten $100 is a stamp saying "ACCOMPANIED BY THE AGENT".

I can't remember that $100 fee being there when I signed the agreement in October and I'm sure I would have rung up to find out what is going on because I'm sure I wasn't charged anything when they found me my new tenant 2 years ago.

Yesterday and today when I think about it, I keep saying to myself, "what the ?!" They're also charging me one week's rent plus GST for the effective inital leasing and half a week's rent plus GST for each subsequent leasing. So why on earth are they charging me $100 for each prospective tenant that they show my IP to in the future?

I've had 2 IPs, 3 agencies including this one and 4 new tenants over the last 5 years and I'm sure I've never been charged this prospective tenant inspection fee before.

And the handwritten $100 looks a lot neater than the rest of the info that's handwritten in it which makes me a bit suspicious as well as my reaction to it yesterday. I'm sure I would have found out more about it before I signed it and sent it back to them last October if it had been on the form in October.

Is this fee unusual?:confused:

I would change agencies immediatly, I suspect something strange is going on there, maybe the staff are pocketing the $100!

Have you spoken to the principal about this?

".

I can't remember that $100 fee being there when I signed the agreement in October and I'm sure I would have rung up to find out what is going on because I'm sure I wasn't charged anything when they found me my new tenant 2 years ago.:confused:
It sounds so straightfoward doesn't it,the only question i would ask is do
you have a copy of the paper work that you signed in october if you
have the original and they don't match up, then first of all ask the R/E
why,if it get's complicated which thing's like this always do,then open
another PM door and give them your :rolleyes: BUSINESS.
good luck willair..

1 week rent to find new tenant is usually charged for the whole process.

To show all qualified prospective tenants, complete paperwork including bond, inspection papers and issue keys to new tenants.

Definitely fishy, if charged $100 per head.
Police might want to know about it.

Why is it illegal? If it is written in a contract that you signed then it is legal.

Of course if it was snuck in later then that sounds fraudulent.

Sadly property managers can charge what they want without violating legislation, that means that a charge of $100 is legal.

That dosn't make it ethical!

Part of a letting and management service is finding tenants and finding tenants involves showing people through a property. It should all be part of the service that they provide for property management

These are not moral agents and I think you should look for new ones.

I just spoke to an investor 10 minutes ago who told me that he had all his properties on a periodic lease agreement, I asked why and he told me that he was locked into a 2 year management agreement with an agency who where charging him 2 weeks rent for every rent renewal they did even if it was signing up the same tenant.

Again, legal but definately not ethical.

Sack them and find another one. They do not understand the clients pay their wages.

I've been with my PM for 2 years and only had one new tenant in my IP for that time. Last October my PM's agency was sold and I had to sign a new agency agreement. Yesterday with no explanation I received a copy of the agreement I had signed in October.

When I looked at it, clause F Inspections jumped out at me with $100 written very neatly in the space provided. I looked at the back of the agreement to see what it meant and it says "any prospective tenant is entitled to inspect the premises in the circumstances set out in item F of the Particulars". Next to the handwritten $100 is a stamp saying "ACCOMPANIED BY THE AGENT".

I can't remember that $100 fee being there when I signed the agreement in October and I'm sure I would have rung up to find out what is going on because I'm sure I wasn't charged anything when they found me my new tenant 2 years ago.

Yesterday and today when I think about it, I keep saying to myself, "what the ?!" They're also charging me one week's rent plus GST for the effective inital leasing and half a week's rent plus GST for each subsequent leasing. So why on earth are they charging me $100 for each prospective tenant that they show my IP to in the future?

I've had 2 IPs, 3 agencies including this one and 4 new tenants over the last 5 years and I'm sure I've never been charged this prospective tenant inspection fee before.

And the handwritten $100 looks a lot neater than the rest of the info that's handwritten in it which makes me a bit suspicious as well as my reaction to it yesterday. I'm sure I would have found out more about it before I signed it and sent it back to them last October if it had been on the form in October.

Is this fee unusual?:confused:

do you have a copy of the paper work that you signed in october if you have the original

If you an't prove it, it's not illegal! In other words, if you can't prove it (which by the sounds of you can't, because you didn't insist on getting a copy of a contract that YOU signed (naughty naughty!)), then you've got no leg to stand on and no legal recourse.

Best you can do is walk away and sign with another agency after your current contract expires.

Mark

If your property is reasonably close to where you live or work, it wouldn't cost you anything to show these properties yourself, without the agent being present. If someone wants to rent it, just send them over to the PM.

Back