Polishing floors

I've just done my third polished floor- and I'm still making mistakes.

They've all been in my block of 1BR units so far- and the improvement from before has been dramatic- but I would not have done a job like this on a top quality place.

21Sanding_before-med.jpg

Original floor- with sander and edger shown.

This is in a unit where the carpet had been on top of this part of the floor. The picture makes it look not to bad- but-

.the varnish was very old
.the exposed parts of the floor were very damaged

(the walls were freshly painted at that stage)

21Sanding_during-med.jpg

After the drum sander had done some of its job.

I made two big mistakes here.

1. I sanded across the grain. The score marks showed- and they would have been better going with the grain (ie. parallell with the floorboards, not at right angles)
2. The floor was laready fairly level- but I started sanding with the coarsest grain sandpaper ("P40")- which was not only rough- it was brittle. I went through 5 sheets sanding just half the floor in one room (at $5 a pop, al of them just broken)- before being completely successful at the next grade ("p80") and not breaking any of them. $30 more than I needed to spend!

21Sanding_after-med.jpg

After it was finished.

Some points here.

The books say hat there should be three coats of polyurethane, with a sand between each coat.

I concur.

First, you do need to make sure that the floors are absolutely clean, and free of dust. That's a big ask when you've just had this dust generating monster.

Second. If there's any speck of dust whcih does show up, the (light) sanding frequently does get rid of it.

There are two sorts of polyurethane out there- satin and gloss. Satin is more forgiving- obviously not as shiny- but it takes 12 hours to dry, vs about 6 hours for the gloss. This can make a huge difference on a tight time budget when there's tenants moving in shortly!

BTW, the ig drum sander is easy to operate. The edger requires a lot of muscle power- all the force is horizonatl, whereas the drum sander has mostly vertical force.

Cost of hire was about $100 for the tow for an overnight (= 4 hour)- sanding sheets can cost $25 to $50 extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim
Geoff
Ihave just move to the gold coast.Still trying to get my computer working properly.And also very slow at typing.so trying to be brief.Going across grain is fine providing you run the machine paralel with the same grit bpaper to take out your scratch marks.Also for a scrath free and smooth job you should not skip paper grades or grits by that much.e.g 40 then 60 then 80 then perhaps 120.Anyway its all practise.
Good luck layer181

geoff did not read past your picture the first time so did not see the polyurethane part.Certainly the satin is more forgiving but the gloss wears better and you should be careful of satin on top of satin it sometimes delaminates.Hence we always have a sealer,gloss then a satin.
Layer181

layer181 said:
Geoff
Ihave just move to the gold coast.Still trying to get my computer working properly.And also very slow at typing.so trying to be brief.Going across grain is fine providing you run the machine paralel with the same grit bpaper to take out your scratch marks.Also for a scrath free and smooth job you should not skip paper grades or grits by that much.e.g 40 then 60 then 80 then perhaps 120.Anyway its all practise.
Good luck layer181
Thanks Layer.

I've only just gor the pictures working OK.

40 gave me so much problems, and was expensive. I ran out of 40 (this time) halfway through the floor (5 sheets). As this was my rhird floor, I'm not sure if the problem was mine. It seems any small imperfection can cause a problem.

The rest of the floor I was forced to start on 80, just because I had to finish the job with no more 40 paper.. It came out OK- the differences between the sections were much more because I was later polishing exposed floor, vs floor which had been covered by carpet.

Rental company did not include a 60 grade.

Layer, I presume papers are available from ordinary retailers as well as from the rental companies? If so, are the costs cheaper? And is it easy to find?

Geoffw,
if you are worried about the dirt ,dust,once you have completed the sanding
process try using OXALIC ACID, for the cleaning and bleaching of the timber.
you just mop this gear on the floor,leave overnight this gear brings any floor back to life,most hardwares have oxalic acid,or Beautifull Valley Wax/ph/0395349944/fax 0395349955..i.14 pakington st,st kilda,Victoria,3184
good luck
willair..

willair,

Thanks for the tip about the oxalic acid. I've got 5 more units to do- but hopefully I won't have to do any soon, because that will mean a tenant has vacated.

Duncan,

I've no idea about the costs of the machines. Both the drum sander and edger are required; even then, if I wanted a really good finish, I'd require another small sander to do the 5mm closest to the edge.

ebay has a drum sander for about $US3000in CONSIDERABLY better condition that the one I hired. Edger sanders appear to be aboy $US500- 600.

Looks like it's been a learnign experience.

Looks like a good job though.

I rekon that unit would be nice and cool in the summer with those brick walls and the wood boards. Esp with other units next to them made with the same bricks?

geoffw said:
ebay has a drum sander for about $US3000in CONSIDERABLY better condition that the one I hired. Edger sanders appear to be aboy $US500- 600.
Geoff,

If condition of rentals is an issue, head up to Magnetmart Gungahlin. Their sanders are virtually new :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

geoffw said:
I've just done my third polished floor- and I'm still making mistakes.

Mate I know what you have been going through! I started sanding my lounge/dining room at 11 am new years eve and finshed 5 minutes before pumpkin hour and it still looked like crap :mad: never again. The guys that do it for a living deserve every dollar

Last edited by a moderator:
Aceyducey said:
If condition of rentals is an issue, head up to Magnetmart Gungahlin. Their sanders are virtually new :)
The Kennards Queanbeyan sanders have obviously been around for quite a while. But they were built very solidly, and still do an excellent job.

Gungahlin is 45 minutes away for me, so it would have to be a good price difference which would make it worth while.

A number of the big hardware shops have demos on polishing floors- it would be good to see what else I've been doing wrong.

bdra said:
Mate I know what you have been going through! I started sanding my lounge/dining room at 11 am new years eve and finshed 5 minutes before pumpkin hour and it still looked like crap :mad: never again. The guys that do it for a living deserve every dollar
That's why I've done it in the units. They don't have to be perfect- just ripping out old carpets and fixing up the damaged uncovered bits of the floors have made them look 1000% better.

For me, the extra cost of a professional for those units would not have been worth it (assuming you can even get in a polisher in Canberra willing to do such a small job at short notice). In an upmarket house, it would have been. The finish is immaculate- like a mirror.

layer181 said:
geoff did not read past your picture the first time so did not see the polyurethane part.Certainly the satin is more forgiving but the gloss wears better and you should be careful of satin on top of satin it sometimes delaminates.Hence we always have a sealer,gloss then a satin.
Layer181

Hi layer181

I disagree with this comment that the gloss wears better than the satin. I don't think it does. If anything it is worse. At least with a satin you are less likely to get dull patches across the floor from frequent foot traffic. I consider it a myth that gloss is better than satin. The only reason we don't put satin on top of satin is because satin is twice the price of gloss. Therefore, we go, sealer, gloss and then satin. It would be interesting to hear your theory on why gloss is harder wearing than satin. Have you got technical information to back this up?

Cheers, QB

Reactions: Sim
duncan_m said:
Geoff,

How much would the sanding machine cost to buy?

Duncan.

We bought our sanders new two years ago. Drum sander cost $9,995 + GST and the Edger cost $3,500 +GST. Before that we bought a couple of old ones to start with which costs us about $2,500 all up, but they made the floors look like crap. A professional sander can get right up to the skirting boards without wrecking them. For around toilets, we use a grinder and a scraper. Also use a scraper for the corners. It's got teeth on it. Can't remember what it's called.

Hire machines are usually crap, because everyone and their dog has used it, and they are usually out of balance, therefore you tend to get chatter marks across the floor. (Little ridges everywhere)

Cheers, QB

Geoff :)

We got two rooms done in one of our Wollongong places (lounge and the 1 bedroom) for about $350 about 6 years ago- beautiful job too. Have rates risen so much for floorboard polishing that it isn´t worth hiring them?

Cat

We had quotes well north of $5K for 6 rooms plus hallways....(essentially a 3 bedroom house ex toilet/bathroom/laundry)....

6 years is a long time Cat.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

WOW, you either have very big houses over in OZ or those prices are way too high. Did all your quotes come in around that mark?

Cheers, QB

Queen Bee said:
Did all your quotes come in around that mark?
Yes & contractors couldn't schedule it in for between 3 & 6 months due to workload.

There's definitely an undersupply of floor polishers in the CBR market ATM :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Dear Acey,

Don't tempt Queen Bee. She might decide to expand her business when she visits Brisbane ;).

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone said:
Don't tempt Queen Bee. She might decide to expand her business when she visits Brisbane ;).
Just a reminder to Queen Bee (and anybody else :D).

Those rates are probably not an indication of prices and waiting lists in the rest of Australia.

I'd be interested in hearing prices per sqm in other places in Australia.

Because the demand for any building trade in Canberra is still at a peak, with so many houses still being rebuild after the fires.

Back