Poll: What's your annual household income from your day job only?

What's your annual household income from your job only?

• $0 - $50k

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • $51 - $70k

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • $71 - $90k

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • $91 - $110k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $111 - $130k

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • $131 - $150k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $151 - $170k

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $171k - $190k

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • $191 - $210k

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • $211 - $230k

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • $231 - $250k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $251 - $270k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $271 - $290k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • $291 - $310k

• $311 - $330k

• $331 - $350k

• $351 - $370k

• $371 - $390k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $391 - $410k

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $410k+

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A little inconsistency here? :)

!

Noted, and understood. However, you need to realise that some certain little miss is more than happy to work exceptionally hard at something that she enjoys. Despite being naturally gifted, she did not enjoy Maths.:(

As an aside, having represented the country in her sport, you will understand what I mean. You don't get there without hard work. It just so happens that she enjoys that kind of hard work.

US stats

Unemployment rate for bachelor-degree holders, 2001: 2.2%
Unemployment rate for high-school graduates, 2001: 4.2%
Nearly a 100% gain.

Average income for full-time year-round workers with high-school degree, 1997 to 1999: $30,400

Average income for full-time year-round workers with a bachelor's degree, 1997 to 1999: $52,200
People with degree on average earn 70%+ more.

Percentage of Forbes 400 members with college degrees: 66%

Note: For the self-made billionaires, this number is higher as thie list also contains billionaires who inherited their money.

Average net worth of a Forbes 400 member with a college degree: $2.13 billion

Average net worth of a Forbes 400 member without college degree: $2.27 billion

(Note: The results are highly warped here because Bill Gates (#1 richest), along with his other friends (Paul Allen, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison) was considered a dropout in the stats. However, note the fact Bill Gates was admitted to what some would say is the world's best university e.g. "Harvard", tells you his way of thinking ahead. Obviously, with Microsoft growing so fast, he decided to "defer" his university degree to focus on his passion. Bill Gates finally finished and received his Harvard degree in 2007.

The other dropouts who are amongst the world's richest 20 are:
Paul Allen (Microsoft Founder), Larry Ellison (Oracle), Michael Dell (Dell Computers). Note that all of these 3 individuals "attended" university, only to drop out because their businesses were doing so well.

For example,

Michael Dell: While at the University of Texas at Austin, he started a computer company called PC's Limited in room 2713 of twenty-seven story residence hall Dobie Center. The company became successful enough that, with the help of an additional loan from his grandparents, Dell dropped out of the university at the age of 19 to run PC's Limited, which later became the famous Dell Computer Corporation, then ultimately Dell, Inc.

Source - http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/28/cx_dd_0728mondaymatch.html

What do all of these super successful people tell us? That university is the way forward. Look at recent day billionaires, e.g. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (youngest 25 year old billionaire), who is also a Harvard dropout, he only dropped/deferred because Facebook was growing so big!

If you view Forbes 2009 list. Most of the top 20 richest, including recent additions, Larry Page & Sergey Brin (Google Founders) went to Stanford University and Carlos Slim (#3rd richest in the world, Mexican Telco giant) went to Top tier-1 universities. Also, their mother and fathers were maths professors (referring to Google founders). I guess it runs in the family :|

You'll also find that majority of Fortune 500 companies employ CEOs with university degrees. From Eric E. Schmidt (Google CEO) to Indra Nooyi (CEO of Pepsi - Yale graduate), to Steven Spielberg (DreamWorks). To get right to the top, you need the paper and knowledge. Otherwise, alternative methods are being born to rich parents, like Paris Hilton. :D Which is unfortunate, because his great grandfather, Conrad Hilton who founded the Hilton Hotels brand, received 6 honorary degrees from various universities... Only to get the named tarnished by Paris Hilton. lol

Last edited:
At present i'm earning well over my "educated" friends. Also 3-4 years into their jobs i would've been in mine for 8. If i wasn't earning enough, or wasn't where i wanted to be, trust me i'd already be out of it. Also there are many many people who do their uni degrees and come out earning $20k their first year and have to spend another 5 years doing their job to even get to $60-$70k, whereas by this time i'll be well on my way to retirement.
I will not be caught in a low earning job with no future prospects to earn more. I believe i can do this without Uni. That's just my opinion.
Wow you must be doing great!
My first car was a 90 Mazda, i bought it for $900 with 9 months rego and i think it was something like 140km :)
But now i have no car (kinda) because i blew up my Mazda and can't afford to buy another car :(
Maybe not so great....
But one thing is sure and that is your learning to become an RE agent.:rolleyes:
And FTR you don't have to go to UNI to become an accountant, and not even a lawyer....shhh it's a secret.

Cloudy, the richest person since Rockefeller was Sam Walton. A shop owner with a degree.

Maybe not so great....

Haha! Yep! Her car blew up and wasn't worth fixing, so she sold it and borrowed mine.:( That's fine, I'm happy with that. It's only for a short time and we don't really need two cars ATM. Better her doing that and keeping her deposit for her first home intact than eating into it.:D
But one thing is sure and that is your learning to become an RE agent.:rolleyes:
And FTR you don't have to go to UNI to become an accountant, and not even a lawyer....shhh it's a secret.

Cloudyday, you certainly are true to your username. While you can sit there and sprout averages to your hearts content, one thing is certain. Lil is FAR from average.

She has also NOT closed the door on further study, which you would know if you bothered to read the posts. She has just said that it is not for her at this point in time.

Now, can we please get this subject back on topic. While Lil's progress is of interest to me, I am sure that everyone is fed up in hearing about the trials & tribulations of one person on a thread that is dedicated to finding out what the income levels are for investors.

If you wish to start a thread on the merits, or not, or a Degree, then eat your heart out. This is not the place for it and I just can't be bothered replying to anymore posts that are purely antagonistic.

Maybe not so great....

Cloudy, the richest person since Rockefeller was Sam Walton. A shop owner with a degree.

LOL!!!!! Good catch. Ah well, some people just praise themselves too much. :rolleyes: :D

Cloudyday, you certainly are true to your username.

Yep. I picked this name because it signifies two things. When it's a cloudy day, there is a possible rain/storm front approaching. One gets prepared for the storm, whilst the other sheeps are squandering their food/having fun. After the rain, it has renewed hope to all animals and plants across the land. New pasture arise and everyone rejoices. I guess some people just look at things face value and have no clue on deeper meanings. I mean, Staker, yeah very generic name with a deep meaning. I can see you like to state on ice on your FB page. very deep :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, Staker, yeah very generic name with a deep meaning. I can see you like to state on ice on your FB page - very deep :)

OMG Haven't you got better things to do?:rolleyes:

Yes I like to skate, which most long time posters already know, so it's no new news and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. The name has meaning to me as it is a lifelong sport that I have enjoyed competing, coaching and judging.

BTW, the name is Skater (not Staker), I skate (not state) and it is Roller Skating (not ice) which is obvious by the wheels on the skates. For someone who tries to tell everyone how wonderfully educated they are, you don't have the best observation or spelling skills.:rolleyes:

Now, can we please get back on topic and stop wasting everyone's time. Unless, of course, you are a troll only here to be antagonistic.................

Last edited:
It's all getting a bit personal don't you think?

I have a theory (may well be wrong). 'Smart' people with a high UAI and who have the ability to go to uni see this as their way forward usually rely more on employment for their source of income - they are generally not entrepenaurs (spelling) of this world. They don't leave school ASAP and try and start businesses etc. And excuse my poor grammar as a couple of beers on a saturday arvo usually contribute! ;)

cloudyday,

Can you quote Australian statistics regarding how many of our top 200 [as per BRW] have university degrees.

And while you're doing statistics, how about how many of them are immigrants who came here unable to speak Uni level English, who are now included in the top 200 because of their business smarts?

Slim:)

He wasnt doubitn gthat Slim.

He was just pointing out that uni shouldnt necessarily be looked down upon / ridiculed as brashly as lil skater's post came across as doing.

Thank you jaycee, I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought lil's post had a brash tone to it.

I've studiously avoided making sweeping statements about why people shouldn't go to university. That's why I very much dislike being put into the same bucket of people who earn $20k upon graduation in dead end jobs.

Moving right along, however. It would be interesting to see the correlation between ages and income. I'd like to see how old the people earning $410k+ are. In my field you hit $100k around late 20s and $200k around mid thirties. Therefore I'm guessing that those who voted for $410k+ must be couples, at least in their mid thirties?

I work in actuarial services... we predict rate and size of claims in order to calculate the value of the outstanding claims. The field is varied - motor/CTP insurance, workers comp insurance etc.

There can be a massive pay jump is due to qualifying as an actuary. (An actuary is like a CA or CPA but you do a lot more modelling and statistics)

I see the big earners amongst us are keeping shy about what they do... would be pretty interested to hear from those who claim to earn $410k+ as that stage of my life seems quite far off at the moment!
EDIT: oops, ianvestor posted when I wasn't looking :)

Actuaries are very highly paid - well done!

I am 39 and my package starts at 230k and up with bonus payments.

I doubt their are actually any people who ticked 410+ who are earning PAYG. Maybe 1 or 2 but not 6.

PAYG would require 2 people to be very senior managers (or working in the mines) or one person to be the CEO of a company.

(not withstanding computer dudes who reckon they can earn this on contract)

cheers
Aussie

Tess,

I'm 39 and University educated. I have a B. App. Sci (Computing) and an MBA from the AGSM where I was awarded the University Medal as the highest graduating student of 2008.

I am a senior executive at OneSteel. I am the Supply Chain Manager for Northern Region Piping Systems. My simple remit is to control inventory, freight and warehousing costs whilst maximising inventory availability to meet demand as well as DIFOT performance. A fair bit of stats from forecast modelling etc as well as a lot of lead team influencing skills.

I'm probably under-employed at present having formerly been a senior management consultant with Ernst and Young and then Capgemini. Decided to return to industry so I could devote more of my energy to wealth generation through property than to career development through Partner in PAYG consulting. They paid me $150K pa but charged me out at $3,500 per day.

I earn $200K PAYG now but am more focussed on my resi property ventures since taking a career step sideways back into industry. My Mona Vale development looks like netting me around $1M at completion. It would take me a lot of years hard work even earning $200K pa to put that much aside in accumulated wealth. PAYG income is tax ineffective.

For me the uni degree got me into the workforce and I was doing extremely well in my chosen career path. I just got the investment bug late and now use that strong salaried income to help with my IP acquisitions. Life's about living, not working...

I post this up only to demonstrate that not all uni educated people are investment numptys. Its not an either/or argument. You can do both.

Cheers,
Michael

Basically, based on the poll, almost the entire SS membership is above the average wage.

Therefore; no problems funding an IP program for virtually all of us here.

If you do have problems; you can't manage the money you make, are living beyond your means and shouldn't be doing IP's.

Tess,

I'm 39 and University educated. I have a B. App. Sci (Computing) and an MBA from the AGSM where I was awarded the University Medal as the highest graduating student of 2008.

A University medal! That's pretty cool.

I studied engineering but didn't put in too much effort at uni and got through with average grades. I then worked my butt off in industry and as a PAYG earner am doing pretty well (see my previous posts). My variable income is sometimes greater than my base salary, and as an expat, 90% of my living costs are provided for (house, car, cost of living allowances etc). I am not a CEO, far from it. I'm 44 and make drugs for a living. The ones that make you better...

My job is my biggest asset right now and am enjoying it. Although, being compensated at 400K +, does mean long days and weeks. I rarely have a completely free day without following up on something or other...

I also have many investments that are in cruise control. :)

Make $30K from my paid employment.
Not much, but a lot better than minimum wage.
Just proves that not having a lot income is not reason, just an excuse.
Many ways to make lots of money with the resources you have.
I started property investing late in life at age 44 :)
What I did have was equity in my home, and savings in my Registered Retirement Savings Plan (same as your Super)

I tell anyone who will listen to me here to buy a 3 unit apartment building with their friends and split the costs. Buy or buy a large house and rent out rooms etc.Save the money they make and invest in a property and not just buy more gadgets.
Usually I am just wasting my time. Eventually they will see I do know what i am talking about.It will have taken 6 years from starting to retirement.
My husband Rob also had the same equity/value when he and I married.
So with the 2 of us we did it in 6 years, it would just a bit longer for a single person.

There are alot of big wages listed on that poll! Just from working my day job, I earn around the 35-40k mark and my weekend job boosts that up to around the 55k mark. Early on I went to uni and started studing a Bachelor of Computer Networking I think it was, was doing really well and dropped out after the 6 months.

Now I look back, I wish I had stayed at it and did the hard yards. Don't get me wrong, I love doing the plumbing but computers was one thing I always strived in. In the HSC I got 79.40, but my IT results for the year were 94/100!

Maybe one day I'll go back to it, plumbers do earn good money but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. Thats for sure.

Would it be fair to say that if you're on 200-400k+ and your net worth is 1-2M in your 40's+ (and been on this $ for many years) you're "underperforming" investment wise with respect to the kind of net worth you could have achieved by this time on this sort of income... ?

I think BayView would say that if you're on 50k pa and achieved this kind of net worth then THAT would be impressive.

Back