Popular suburbs in Melbourne

Hi, I was wondering if someone could point out 3 popular suburbs in Melbourne that people want to live/rent?

Cheers!

Seeing as your from NSW here are some popular areas with their equivalent suburb in Sydney.

Fitzroy North = Surry Hills
St Kilda = Bondi
Toorak = Vaucluse
Brighton = Double Bay
Hawthorn = North shore minus the beach
Prahran = Paddington
Box Hill = Chatswood
Brunswick = Newtown

Sandhurst- bulletproof suburb apparently and 3rd most liveable or happy (or something) suburb from some survey a few months back

Sandhurst- bulletproof suburb apparently and 3rd most liveable or happy (or something) suburb from some survey a few months back

Sandhurst - is the best kept secret. A true residential suburb and quite expensive given its location. However, it is not popular at all. 90% of Melburnians would not have heard of Sandhurst.

I think Jake has answered the OP's question very well.

Sandhurst - is the best kept secret. A true residential suburb and quite expensive given its location. However, it is not popular at all. 90% of Melburnians would not have heard of Sandhurst.

I think Jake has answered the OP's question very well.

Probably one of the few nice looking estates around
Way too pricey though

Be interesting to see what happens to values there when the rest of the area is built out a bit more

Are you taking the ****? Off thompsons rd?
No established infrastructure like trains or trams, no beach, no shopping, no Victorian architecture...nothing but roads and a sh$t golf course

Reactions: S.T
No established infrastructure like trains or trams, no beach, no shopping, no Victorian architecture...nothing but roads and a sh$t golf course

haha, have to 100% agree, and it's close to the poo farm.

Ha poo farm,i wonder if the residents of sandy get a whiff?I know lyndbrook residents have complained about the stench.

Anyhow i doubt the cranny road upgrade from pound to thompsons will improve things.

Maybe buy for the longterm when the new airport in koo wee rup area is built in 20yrs.
Hell,you may even get a train line.

Horses for courses i suppose re:affordability in the lower end.

3 popular suburbs? Depends on what you want and stage of your life.
Yuppies - Fitzroy, Carlton, Collingwood
Young professionals - Richmond, South Yarra, Prahran
More established families - Malvern, Toorak, Kew, Hawthorn

Ha poo farm,i wonder if the residents of sandy get a whiff?I know lyndbrook residents have complained about the stench.

Anyhow i doubt the cranny road upgrade from pound to thompsons will improve things.

Maybe buy for the longterm when the new airport in koo wee rup area is built in 20yrs.
Hell,you may even get a train line.

Horses for courses i suppose re:affordability in the lower end.

Nope, no whiff of the poo farm in Sandhurst.

Lynbrook/Lyndhurst gets the whiff from the toxic waste dump off western port highway that pops up in the news every now and then though....maybe that's what the residents you know are referring to

No established infrastructure like trains or trams, no beach, no shopping, no Victorian architecture...nothing but roads and a sh$t golf course[/

There is demand for it as a place to live though.... regardless of (in your opinion) it's negatives.

It may not be your cup of tea but it is for others

No established infrastructure like trains or trams, no beach, no shopping, no Victorian architecture...nothing but roads and a sh$t golf course[/

There is demand for it as a place to live though.... regardless of (in your opinion) it's negatives.

It may not be your cup of tea but it is for others

I think because it feels like country living - lots of trees surrounded by farms
I wonder if it will still be popular when the rest of the surrounding land is developed
I'm not so sure

3 popular suburbs? Depends on what you want and stage of your life.
Yuppies - Fitzroy, Carlton, Collingwood
Young professionals - Richmond, South Yarra, Prahran
More established families - Malvern, Toorak, Kew, Hawthorn

Whats the difference between Yuppies and Young Professionals?

or by Yuppies do you mean Hipsters?

Seeing as your from NSW here are some popular areas with their equivalent suburb in Sydney.

Fitzroy North = Surry Hills
St Kilda = Bondi
Toorak = Vaucluse
Brighton = Double Bay
Hawthorn = North shore minus the beach
Prahran = Paddington
Box Hill = Chatswood
Brunswick = Newtown

Jake-

Could ypu do the same for brisbane suburbs...thanks

I bought an IP 1 street outside Sandhurst for just over half the cost of a house in Sandhurst. Similar aged house, just didn't look quite as flash with golf-course surroundings. But I reckon the yield would be better.

JB

LOL!

That's what I was thinking....besides; it's too close to Cranbourne and Dande-thong. :eek:

I think the most "popular" suburb in terms of r/e industry news coverage and the younger professional set would be Elwood.

And of course; it wouldn't be an r/e news article without Docklands being mentioned.

Last edited:
Back