PPOR Renos with pics

I know how much you guys like reno projects with pics so thought I'd share mine with you.

Copy and pasted from a forum I frequent more regularly:

Thought I'd share a few photos of the reno project we decided to take up when we purchased our house.

This was 90% weekend work and whatever days I could take off inbetween.
We got the keys at the beginning of September last year and it's been pretty much nonstop work every week since, give or take a few days we couldn't do anything due to other commitments or emergencies.
Not yet 100% complete, but is now livable. We've moved in about 2 weeks ago and still in the process of installing the kitchen and little details here and there.

Work undertaken:
Strip/demolish everything to the frame.
Relocate bathroom, open up kitchen, new WIR to main.
New walls, new ceiling, new electrical, new flooring.
A ****** lot of work to do.. :(

The house itself is around 50 or 60 years old.
You can imagine how badly aligned the studs wouldn've been.
I don't think there was a single straight wall in this house, apart from the new walkin and builtins we made lol.
Even knowing this, we didn't bother packing them out to level the new walls, as it wouldn't be that noticeable to the untrained eye one everything was refitted and painted.

I tried to take photos during most of the process but as any of you who have done this, can get carried away with the work and forget to document it.

Pics:
Hallway:
There was a linen cupboard in the hallway which was old and made the hallway very gloomy. This was ripped out.
halln.jpg

Old bathroom:
The plan is to relocate the bathroom.
An original 3x2 bath didn't suit the size requirements we were looking for.
Tearing this down also allowed more light to enter the hallway and make it more lively. This hallway will also eventually lead in to the future house extension.
oldbath.jpg

New Bathroom:
We decided to convert one of the bedrooms to the new bathroom.
This worked out very well as the size has increased substancially and the layout of it worked out to pretty much how we envisioned.
Not much photos of the bath unfortunately.. this was outsourced to a guy I used previously, mostly to save us time.
newbath.jpg

Main Bedroom:
Nothing spectacular. New walls and ceilings, new floors. The only big change was the BIR was ripped out and replaced with a WIR.
bed1rj.jpg

2nd Bedroom:
Again, nothing major.
The post-build BIR was replaced with a proper BIR.
bed2h.jpg

General Pics:
A couple of pics with all the walls and ceilings stripped.
generaln.jpg

Lounge Room:
The lounge was renovated by the previous owners.
It used to be split in two with a fireplace smack bang in the middle.
Thank god they already got rid of that... wouldn't have had much fun resupporting that wall...
The opening on the left is the entry into the old kitchen.
We opened this up to allow more light in. You can see the difference in the photos.
loungel.jpg

Kitchen and Laundry:
The original kitchen led off to the laundry, then the back door.
The plan was to make the kitchen bigger and allow more light in, so the diving wall came down and the kitchen opening widened.
kitchenlaundrey.jpg

After:
kitchenpf.jpg

Haven't taken any recent photos lately, but a lot of things have already been finished and we've already moved in.
As I said, just the kitchen is left to install and after that, it's all little things.

One thing that was a pain was not putting in extra noggins in the wall before we sheeted. Thank god there's been at least one photo of every wall that I could trace the studs and that EVERYTHING that needed the support, could use the studs.. :tired:

Some pics to show how it's coming together.
Excuse the mess... we can't sort everything out properly until the kitchen is finished, but you can see howeverything ended up looking behind all the crap. :)

Kitchen:
kitchen3i.jpg

kitchen2h.jpg

kitchen1i.jpg

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
Absolutely phenomenal effort!!

what sort of budget are you guys doing?

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
Absolutely phenomenal effort!!

what sort of budget are you guys doing?

Will total close or just above $45k.

Love before and afters!

which is :)

I would tend to agree :D. Looks like you had to chip away some of the slab in the bathroom and laundry........you're keen. Where is this house, no chance of overcapitalizing is there? DOH?? What does the outside look like.

OCAU - nothing related to this forum :)

The old bathroom slab we had to re-level. The old laundry-now-now kitchen worked out well to level out with the new flooring (thank god!)
We'd probably just break even if we were to sell now, but as this is a long-term investment, it's not much to worry about.
Ex-DOH area, but has been cleaned up over the last decade.
Turned out to be a nice little suburb after all it's past issues :)
South-West Sydney

IMHO, did not look like it needed reno ;)
Also, why cover the original timber floor?

Having said that, awesome awesome reno. Loved it!

i have the same comment.. why cover the cypress with floating floor?

a sand and 3 coats of semi gloss polyurethane would have come up a treat

just my opinion looks great otherwise :)

They call it stackstone.
Bloody expensive... :(

The floor had a number of patches of mismatching boards.
Not a terribly good look...
Rather than trying to relay these areas, and also because the wife wasn't too impressed with cypress pine, we decided on a whole new floor.

Did you use an underlay between the floor boards and floating floor? doesn't look like it in the pics. Agree with everyone else though, really nice work with the reno looks fantastic and thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Hellloooooo finished kitchen!! :D

Massive headache. The company we got the flatpack through was a fkn joke.
Thank god I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Last edited:
Back