predictions for 2012

Well, its that time again. Between the boozy xmas parties, id like to know any predictions nationwide for property prices in 2012.

Ill start:
Q1 2012: Slow uptick in prices [avg in capital cities 1-2%]. The recent cut in rates will start to take effect. The lower dollar will also encourage overseas migration and thus increase demand. Low dollar also increases overseas investment.
Uncertainty around europe will subside as I reckon they will come to a patchwork deal of sorts.

Q2: Slow uptick [1-2%]. Local and international economies will stabilise. Some commentators will start to talk of higher rates towards the end of the year.

Q3: Flat. The talk of RBA increasing rates will soften any increases. Dollar will go to 105+ levels, thus deterring migration and general foreign investment.
Inflation will increase as proceeds from mining boom filter thru the economy.

Q4: Flat-1-2% decline.
With no big threats to the global nor domestic economy and rising inflation driven by boom in commodity exports to china and india, the RBA will increase rates by 25 basis points, which will be passed by the banks in less than 2 sec flat!

Unknowns:
1. Europe- Whilst possible they may really screw up and drag us all down [ eurozone is the largest economy in the world] - of course it will affect us, it is probably unlikely. The challenge they have is the politics and the competing interests amongst countries but i reckon they will come to a half-a$$ed agreement that will get us through and prevent things from getting much worse.
2. Blimin ANZ has set a dangerous precedent with its monthly review of rates irrespective of RBA. The other banks will likely follow suit with monthly reviews. When was the last time any bank voluntarilly reduced rates? Yep, this is a sly ploy by ANZ to raise rates whichever month they please. I dont think they will do it often, but one or twice by small amounts next year, i reckon. A good way for ANZ to raise rates by say 5 basis points any given month without too much political backlash. If other banks copy the move, it will not have much customer backlash either.

ABC The Quarters

I'll abstain :)

I was watching ABC The Quarters late one night this week. They have a panel of 20 (I think??) economists give their predictions for the year ahead.

They revisited the 2011 predictions at the start of this year Vs what actually happened and the result:
EVERY single economist on their panel got EVERY single prediction WRONG! (apparently 2011 is the first year this has ever happened).

Draw your own conclusions.

I was watching ABC The Quarters late one night this week. They have a panel of 20 (I think??) economists give their predictions for the year ahead.

They revisited the 2011 predictions at the start of this year Vs what actually happened and the result:
EVERY single economist on their panel got EVERY single prediction WRONG! (apparently 2011 is the first year this has ever happened).

I had a good laugh at those predictions all the economists predicted ASX at end of calendar year 2011 to be in the range of 5200 and 5600.

Disclaimer: I am not a share D&G'er just thought it funny that they were way off, and very brave to stick their and their respective institutes names up for ridicule.

I predict 2012 will have economists give even more ambiguous predictions.

i think it is too hard to predict too much. Overall - can't really expect any massive drops and neither massive highs

it's similar to foundings. the "the art of war" by sunzi. you have to adapt to the changes in the environment.

Changes in government policy, interest rates, natural diasters all could have an impact. it is just how fast you react.

Depends on each person's outlook, goals and appetite for risk. In turbulent, volatile and uneasy times, capital preservation is key. One of Buffet's rules is to not lose money. Indeed the more you have, the more chances you have to lose it. Then again as others are capitulating and running for the hill.......opportunites will present.

Where will we be in 2012? Depends on your outlook.

To quote the words of Charles Dickens...

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”

Europe and the USA will continue the pantomime of trying to kick the debt can down the road. If one of them misses, down will come baby, cradle and all.

Why do they get it wrong?

If they were so good at predicting, they would've long realised they'd be stuck in their PAYG job for a very long time and killed themselves. Fact they haven't means they're no good at predicting.

It's not called the dismal science for nothing, DB.

(That it seeks to predict human rather than inanimate behaviour where the small matter of uncertainty is the basic certainty does regrettably skew matters.)

I have no idea what the macro economy will be doing.

Its better to focus on your own micro economy (personal situation) and find good places to invest in.

Buffett also says 'this too will pass' - and so whilst prices are soft and prospects good I'd be buying the best value houses (with a large margin of safety of course) and holding on for dear life!

Well Buffett is the only one I am interested in anyway :p

Have a 112 page document 'summarising' each of his annual letters and books about him. So anything he says I take it as his - but got it wrong this time.

My prediction:

Q1 further 25 -50 points interest cut from RBA.. Market starts to be picked up.

Q2 Euro problems still hanging around..Market gets flat..

Q3 Euro problems might get worse..ppl realise that interest cut wont help them..then housing starts to go down.

Q4..Oct down...Nov down..Dec end of the world..2012. all arguments between bears and bulls are gone like **** in the wind...;)

My prediction:

Q1 further 25 -50 points interest cut from RBA.. Market starts to be picked up.

Q2 Euro problems still hanging around..Market gets flat..

Q3 Euro problems might get worse..ppl realise that interest cut wont help them..then housing starts to go down.

Q4..Oct down...Nov down..Dec end of the world..2012. all arguments between bears and bulls are gone like **** in the wind...;)

Guess I'd better make hay while the Sun shines then.

A sample size too small to be representative? If they were close ended predictions with a use by date those results look like you could fade them (try to do the opposite) whereas you might expect something closer to random rather than wrong!

A thread with Peter Martin's predictions for 2012

Three things matter when melting opinion down to an actionable strategy for generating money and last time I checked you can't take opinion down to the local store and buy the bread and milk with it!

1) What do I buy
2) How much do I buy
3) when do I sell

Till you have that you might as well switch off the opinion or treat it as mindless entertainment and focus on your job/business.

.......you might as well switch off the opinion or treat it as mindless entertainment and focus on your job/business.

Absolutely right! It is mindless entertainment value only.
We all like to poke fun at economists who get it wrong - they provide so much material to work with :p especially Keen et al.

My prediction for 2012.

Sit on my ar$e as I am in a consolidation phase. As long as i can meet my repayments on my property portfolio, I dont care if it slips down or sideways for a few years. I have sorted sufficient redraws with access to funds if things dont work out well.

I have a $2.5m portfolio with $20k negative cash flow that is paid out of my income.

IMO

GFC #2

Opportunities will be out there.

High risk for uneducated.

Shares will be hit very hard, along with top end property. ASX could go back around 3200 levels.

Interest rates will come down to around 5.5 - 6% variable and fixed rates will go between 5.2% - 5.5% RBA cash rate around 300BP's by end of fin yr 2012.

Cash would be good to have, along with strong cash-flow well purchased property.

Wouldn't be taking risks on potential upsides and slide show graphs as these will become irrelevant to any market correction.

Overall I reckon there will be opportunities to be had and will be personally purchasing actively in 2012 along same lines I have done every year for last 7+ years.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - By no means take anything I have said as advice, nor make any decision based upon the comments mentioned above but this is my 2 cents for entertainment value if I were to set some outlook speculations. You need to speak to relevant professionals and make a decision based upon your own research.

Make sure you play your chess board well and your pawns are solid as a benchmark to protect your crown jewels.

Good luck to everyone for 2012.

Nathan.

No idea.....but for fun As we enter 2012

• Gold to continue to decline
  • New Government in Australia
  • Australian property market as a "whole" to remain flat
  • Rents to continue to rise
  • Share market to rise as we progress through 2012
  • Petrol prices to rise

Advice for 2012

Spend more time with your family, set some goals, save, invest, read somersoft and most importantly have fun ;)

"If we didn't have mining, Australia would be like Portugal and maybe Greece and Ireland" - Linfox CEO Michael Byrne .

Attachments

• Treadmill.jpg
    Treadmill.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 90
Back