Professional cv company

weg obviously a template that is common like that is used by everyone else. There is an art to firstly choosing the right resume template but more importantly how to present the content through the cover letter and resume itself. HR people who look at thousands of this stuff every week can easily gloss over a normal resume with no other attractions.

Agree to a certain extent.

Not underestimating presentation at all but home made ones do not have to look shoddy - I've seen some professionally done ones and they didn't look that much better?

The thing is most HR people look for certain buzz words when assessing applications. If you don't have the buzz word then you don't get the interview. So getting professional help can be a good idea.

Having recently been involved in a recruiting drive at the mine where I work I can maybe add a little.

Position was posted on SEEK for a tradesman on Friday and withdrawn on Monday with over 200 applicants. HR forwarded about 30-40 resumes to myself and my back-to-back to shortlist down to about 3-5 potential interviewees each.

Now I KNOW that I/we must have overlooked many good applicants but there is no way I could have looked at every resume in detail. I estimate that I spent less than one minute on most of those that I rejected, and 5-10minutes going back and forth over those that I liked. Point to note here is that PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING. Even for a manual trades position. If you don't get across to me that you have what I want VERY quickly, you've lost the race.

This was the first time I'd been in the position of making the call on who gets a look in and I learnt a lot about my own resume (it's rubbish!). Now that I've seen what works and what doesn't I could do my own very well but if you don't know, pay someone.

Personally I've only ever missed one job that I had an interview for (and the position was already filled before I got there)... but I've always struggled to get the interview in the first place.

I would never advocate for someone that has a poor ability to sell themselves through written language attempt to do so.

Many can however with a bit of help.

Son did a brilliant job himself on a resume recently that he repeatedly questioned whether it sounded believable for a someone his age to have achieved so much.

He used the right terminology and a good layout, and made a specical effort to sell himself in areas of leadership, communication, special abilities, etc. using specific examples of achievement that could easily be checked by a prospective employer.

Laid it all out in a concise, easy to read fashion.

If confident going about it this way I suggest a good template with multiple text examples and spell check!

My wife has used professionals in the past to help her with her resume. She gets a lot of calls from potential employers and recruiters for interviews, even when she's not looking. Unfortuantely the resume writing industry isn't very lucrative so she's not doing it any more (because nobody wants to pay extra for something they can do themselves).

It's a bit unfortuante that people in certain fields can be incredibly compenent on a technical level, but due to poor communication and written skills, they are often overlooked. Tradies would be one of many examples of this (to make a gross generalisation).

resume is only 1st part of job searching.

when it comes down to the interview - a lot of other things comes to into place, language skills, personality, ability to work in a team etc.

Thanks for the feedback, some interesting points raised.

I have a word draft done up that is quite extensive but I just wanted to have the presentation to go with it so it stood out.

I have also created a website that focuses more in depth on what I am capable of who I am and what I can produce, with professionally done photos and links to all my recent work over the years.

I will link to my cv and hopefully give me a edge over other applicants.

only took a couple of days to put together so will be interesting once I get some feedback,

I've always wondered how pro-CV'ers go with detailing tech specific details.

I sat down with my wife the other weekend to help her update her CV, after going through her skill set and project roles, it quickly became apparent that I wasn't going to be of much assistance in properly describing her experience.

Some people really SHOULD use a cv service. I have ads out at present for factory staff. Honestly the quality of written word is disgusting.

One bloke couldn't even get his name right.. I don't know how he actually spells it because it was spelled 3 differnt ways over his CV.

Another bloke might very possibly be seriously dyslexic? That might be fine except we need someone to read and transpose figures from tape measures etc.

Do these people not have anyone to check before they press "send" on an email.

I love doing a recruitment drive for our company. The usual applicants are...ahem...not quality tradesmen type, but real low end type workers!

There is always one or two people with email addresses that always grab your attention, such as: [email protected] and the like!

Ahhhh, the joys of employing staff!!!

pinkboy

I bet there are some impressive CV's out there belonging to holders of FB accounts with photos incongruent with the character information on the CV.

Step #1 would be clean up the FB page or make it private.

Better still modify your FB page with likes and other info that would please an employer :).

I bet there are some impressive CV's out there belonging to holders of FB accounts with photos incongruent with the character information on the CV.

Better still modify your FB page with likes and other info that would please an employer :).

I got chastised by Geoffw for FB stalking potential staff!

I think it's a great way to see the real person behind a faceless CV!

pinkboy

I like CV's that are simple and relevant to the job offer. The cover letter tells me more about the applicant than the CV and it makes a bigger impression on me. Spelling and grammar are important. CV's that detail too many qualifications tell me that the person is a professional student and I wonder how much practical experience they have for the position applied for.
Cheers
Charlotte30

I got chastised by Geoffw for FB stalking potential staff!

I think it's a great way to see the real person behind a faceless CV!

pinkboy

The FB topic has come up in a thread before - for checking potential tenants - but I think it probably deserves it's own thread.

Personally I think it's a great tool and it has assisted me in finding good tenants.

People should not underestimate who goes online looking for personal info for these reasons.

A CV is only as good as the background checks that support it are.

Last edited:
pick up the phone and call the hiring company. If you're good enough engaging them, email your CV through whilst you're on the phone and run through it then and there....

...close for a time to meet up.

if anything, it will put you leagues above all the other muppets that just click send

I'm on the newest version of Outlook, which allows you to automatically link with social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc). I see peoples photos when with their email if they have an account under the same email address.

This morning I got an email from a smallish lender looking for business. The owner of the business has a nice drunken photo for his main Facebook account. It didn't leave a good impression and I unsubscribed.

Back