Property show on ABC2 Tonight.

HOUSE- to buy or not to buy? Tonight on ABC 2

http://abc.net.au/triplej/hackhalfhour/default.htm

HACK HALF HOUR
Monday October 6, 2008 ABC2 8.30pm

HOUSE

Next up on The Hack Half Hour we ask the question is the great Australian dream a crock? Could buying a house in your twenties actually be a flawed dream? Should we be spending our money on other things or just be concentrating on having a good time? We'll find out which member of the Chaser bought a house at the age of 13!!! And why Stav from Bluejuice is a pro-property muso. Believe it, or not.

really? bought a house at 13....?

i thought that was illegal since minors are not allowed to sign legal contracts....

of course, what does that matter to ABC's version of Today Tonight.

haha.. oh god..

all i can say is LOL.

awesome show :p

Can i have my half hour back ?

P.S that jane chick saving up for a house.. good work.. and ur cute :)

Only caught the last 15 mins, may look at the beginning on Podcast but I doubt it's worth it.

That idiot hippie "squatter" was a moron! Yeah, all the landlords get together and agree to put the rent up every year, it's all a big conspiracy! :rolleyes:

Nathan, good on ya mate, but I reckon you should have stood up for yourself a bit more (unless they told you not to?). People also need to realise not everyone wants to go out and party all night throughout their 20's. I had absolutely no interest in that, but you'd have to cop $hit from that uni student who reckons that's all there is to life when your that age and anything other than that is missing out.

Sigh, on second thoughts, don't think I'll waste another 15mins of my life with the podcast, there must be some paint somewhere close by I can go watch dry - much more productive way to spend the time! :rolleyes:

I like the guy who bought a house at 13, all the dodgy schemes he had to amass a house deposit as a kid! Priceless. Helps if dad is a real estate agent of course ...

Nathan should ditch the girlfriend who thinks he's mad and hook up with the ubersaving Janet :D

Sigh, on second thoughts, don't think I'll waste another 15mins of my life

those squatters were retarded.. i mean.. your squatters... what could you possibly contribute to forum??

They had been obviously reading GHPC though im suprised they didnt throw "evil specufestors" out there

hehehehe,

i did hook up.

JKS.

I couldnt get out much as i was being interupted. I have as much fun as party boy on there has. always going out and spending cash.

btw the recordings old, got another one now.

PS Nathan, why didn't you speak up when the other investor on the panel assumed you could only be buying negatively geared property since you're buying at the moment. You seem to have a knack (spelling?) lately of finding great deals on 8%+ yields. Or was it a case of interviewer moving on too quickly?

Man, i wish i had a 30 minuite speech on myself, as stated i couldnt express everything in that time frame and the presenter steve was working with an agenda of questions, where i may have been cut off and didnt get to finish what i was saying as other people had their say...

Im certainly in a good position, and my deals are very high yeild, various houses and strata property.

I aint sacrificing my experiences, got many doodads, go on awesome holidays, and go out to get pissed every weekend like any other 23 year old.

But its a matter of thinking smartly. You dont get food spoonfed, without any commitment to finding it in the firstplace.

Hack is the biggest leftwing crock of 5h1te since Stan the Man was doing Today Tonight.

everyone is a victim of the big bad system.

Nathan
Thought you were inspiring. Great stuff! You've done amazingly well!

When that squatter spoke I nearly put my fist through the TV.... deep breath... count to ten....

I tend to agree with the sentiment to each his (or her) own. If you want to invest early, go ahead. If you don't, then don't.

It's your life, so decide your own priorities and live by them.

Ditto regarding the squatters though.

GP

I didn't mind watching that at all - as a 24yo it is similiar to the conversations you have at work at the watercooler. Some people who only have time for renting / others who must have a mortgage etc.

For me it was inspiring listening to Nathan and Kirsty's(?) stories. Nathan you did a really good job. Your view was the most open - you had your spiel and didn't diss the others' choices in life...even though they dissed you.

The squatter was an idiot....what is a squatter anyway...are they homeless? are they on the dole? how about concentrating your energies on not relying on the government to fund your existence.

I giggled at when Stav and Chas said that 'Europeans' are obsessed with property - too too true....

Well done Nathan - you held your own very well. BTW not getting hammered every weekend and not being able to remember anything may well be a recipe for enjoyable youth! I'm no party pooper but some of the others on the show had an interesting definition of what constitutes a "good time".

It was also interesting no-one mentioned the subject of children. If you're semi-retired at 30 and able to spend a lot of time with your kids (should you choose to have them), things look starkly different to those who had a "good time" in their youth but now will be struggling under the weight of a massive workload and full time work, with no time with their kids. This is my main driver anyway.

No doubt we will be hearing from these types in future when they will be complaining about how hard it is to bring up kids and handle a mortgage etc. :rolleyes:

Again - well done and yes, the squatter was just a plain embarrassment to humanity!

Pretty lame. I was expecting a better show to be honest. Most of the comments and issues were only dealt with superficially. Kate Crawford (researcher with the red hair) had some interesting insight about home ownership, the influence of the post WW2 government policies designed to promote home ownership. Again, it was only a cursory exploration of that issue.

Ahh the squatters......what can you say. I had to chuckle. They reminded me of my somewhat angst laden youth where I knew of people who squatted, had a political agenda and were against the "system". You had to expect at least some representation from that section from Aunty.

Great stuff Nathan. Well done on your achievements. BTW who did you hook up with or can't you say ;)

hahaha, didnt hook up with anyone, i was making response to;

Today 09:30 PM
RumpledElf I like the guy who bought a house at 13, all the dodgy schemes he had to amass a house deposit as a kid! Priceless. Helps if dad is a real estate agent of course ...

Nathan should ditch the girlfriend who thinks he's mad and hook up with the ubersaving Janet

:p

Back