Purchasing car interstate

Hi guys,

I have a question for you:
I live in Sydney and am considering the purchase of a car from a private individual in Melbourne.
I wanted to know if anyone had done it and what was involved in the process?

Cheers

I live in nsw and bought in Qld, off eBay,.

I phoned the vendor and made sure all was ok, it had a qld road worthy so i figured it woudlnt be that rough. I transfered a deposit of 1k hired a rental and drove there the next day

Once I checked it out I did the plate checks online on my iPhone and then paid the rest in cash

I paid 10k for a ute worth 15 so I was happy to punt 1k I'f things went wrong ,ie the car was a dud, etc etc

If u have nrma I guess you could get them to drive around and check it out on your behalf if you want reassurance before you transfer a dep

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I live in Sydney and am considering the purchase of a car from a private individual in Melbourne.

Cheers

Not a lot of info in your post, but it is not difficult.

Firstly check with VicRoads on the status of the car- eg is the car encumbered in any way?, is it a stolen car?, is it on the written off vehicle register?

Trust nobody. It is essential to do these checks before handing any money over.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingPrePurchaseChecks/

If the car passes the above checks do you have the mechanical knowledge to ensure it is in good condition? If not have it checked out by a qualified mechanic.

If all is good then you pay for the car.

If the car is registered the seller may let you drive it back to your State then send the plates back. If not, you can purchase an unregistered vehicle permit from VicRoads to drive it home.

We have regularly purchased cars from Interstate by flying over, checking out the car, paying the seller, then driving back to Adelaide. Good fun if it all goes smoothly.

Stangman.

Hi guys,

Cheers

Get RACV to do a Prepurchase Check on the car if you can't fly down and check it yourself.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/primary/my+car/vehicle+inspections

They will write you a report and you can base your decision on that.
Considering how close you are and how cheap flights are I would fly down myself and handle the financial transaction and drive the car back or put it on a car transport service.

I have previously bought a car from QLD (I'm in Perth) and had it transported over. I bought it from a reputable dealer (Subaru Dealership), had a RACQ check done and transported it over to Perth. As luck would have it, it arrived to me at 6am and I drove it to work then Perth's biggest ever hail storm hit. Damage wasn't too bad thankfully.

Unless you are buying an exotic hard to get car, why would you?

There are a zillion second hand cars available everywhere these days.

Also; buying second hand privately - ask yourself why they are selling it.

(Don't ask the seller)

I recently sold a car to someone from interstate. It was pretty easy.
Selling is the easy bit.

Buying is the dangerous bit.

My workshop is on the receiving end for work to be done all the time from folks who have bought cars privately....and recently.

Given that it is a minefield for buyers, why would you add more cost and time and drama to that by looking interstate when you don't need to.

Just a thought.

(Don't ask the seller)

Because they want a different car and don't want an insulting trade in offer from a dealer.

A mate of mine just sold a tidy Honda Accord Euro. Trade in price? 13k. Sold for 19.5k privately. Not bad for 2 weekends work.

Pretty self explanatory.

I have bought a few second hand cars interstate. Very simple. Get it inspected by a independent party, drive it back, re-register and claim back unused portion of interstate registration.

The important thing is getting it inspected to make sure there are no issues, unless it is cheap enough to take a punt on.

Hi guys,

Cheers
The first cab off the rank is check if the title is unencumbered,then ask if it has service books,and if so ring up the dealer who has serviced the car
and ask the simple question,never ever just send one cent into the unknown..imho..good luck..

Unless you are buying an exotic hard to get car, why would you?

There are a zillion second hand cars available everywhere these days.

(Don't ask the seller)

Not really the case here in Adelaide. The difference in price is substantial compared to Melbourne, so there is a constant triving trade of buying up cars in Melb, sending them down to Adelaide for a quick sale.

Most yards source their stock from interstate here too.

Yards are a different animal than yer private no-recourse sale.

Still potentially shonky and lemon-sellers, but at least their is warranty and Ombudsman etc for some limited protection.

Buyer beware, I suppose.

Most high volume lic car dealers in Brisbane will flick their 50-50
tradeins straight into the public-not lic dealer only fast buck weekend auctions and a lot of them come back onto the carsalesdotcom sites or private sales,if you ever want too see what happens in the real world during the week in lic motor dealer only auctions,and that is a real eye opener..imho..like trying to swim across a tidal river in nth qld at 3 in the morning,you may be lucky the first time but try and swim back and bang..

Yards are a different animal than yer private no-recourse sale.

Still potentially shonky and lemon-sellers, but at least their is warranty and Ombudsman etc for some limited protection.

Buyer beware, I suppose.

Absolutely. I bought my latest car through a yard just because I wanted warranty. 4 years piece of mind.

In 12 months I've claimed 7.5k in repairs on warranty. :D

Absolutely. I bought my latest car through a yard just because I wanted warranty. 4 years piece of mind.

In 12 months I've claimed 7.5k in repairs on warranty. :D

Most used car warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. New car warranty or even extended warranty through the dealer/manufacturer are worth it.

Most used car warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. New car warranty or even extended warranty through the dealer/manufacturer are worth it.

True. Been happy with this policy. Covered by AAMI iirc.

As long as the car is serviced to manufacturers specification, everything bar paint + glass is covered.

Car didn't start the other day, called up mechanic, they organised tow, replaced parts and off I went for a total cost of $0.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and answers, greatly appreciated!
I am looking at interstate as I could not find my exact requirements in NSW... I'll see whether I let something go or get in interstate.
Cheers guys :)

Back