QLD Election! Who is your money on?

Who will win in QLD on 24 March?

• All the way with Anna B ! (ALP)

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Can-do Newman will do! (LNP)

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Katter in control (legally allowed to own firearms!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Greens (what can I say?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Independents controlling balance of power

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I neither know nor care

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters
I cannot, and will never, see Katter as a Centrist.
Have you taken your eyes off his hat and deciphered his fractured English? He's pretty normal but hasn't forgotten the country, which is a good thing here.

With a few better speakers with him, he could gain traction.

That post has sore loser written all over it. The name calling and chip spitting is amazing.

It expresses an opinion I share - if there was an election tomorrow I'd be voting ABA. To have him as PM representing us on the world stage would make me a [new] Australian embarrassed beyond measure. But it's not a party thing: if Malcolm Turnbull was PM in waiting my vote would go Liberal in an instant. I know we vote for local members, not a president, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

It expresses an opinion I share - if there was an election tomorrow I'd be voting ABA. To have him as PM representing us on the world stage would make me a [new] Australian embarrassed beyond measure. But it's not a party thing: if Malcolm Turnbull was PM in waiting my vote would go Liberal in an instant. I know we vote for local members, not a president, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

Who is ABA? And if you "know we vote for local members, not a president" why do you carry on as if we do? Obama would embarrass me if I were a Yank, but because of what he says, not because of the manner in which he says it. I would prefer an honest klutz to an oily liar.

What if he made Turnbull his FM and left him to it?

Who is ABA?

ABA - anyone but Abbott.

And if you "know we vote for local members, not a president" why do you carry on as if we do?

"as if we do?" The reality, for better or worse, here as in the UK is that a local candidate's merit is of very little importance in determining the result as compared with the party's national/state standing. Good intelligent hard-working members of any party can find themselves swept out of office by a tide that is beyond their influence. At the margin your personal performance might keep you in office, but it's probably going to make a few percent difference to your share of the vote.

Let's think positively then Tony.

This slaughter just might convince back-benchers to be less lazy and more proactive in their party and government. It happened in the Howard years too. The libs could not bring themselves to reign in Howard's arrogant excesses but eventually, the electorate did.

I can understand how Rudd was elected but julia? Defies logic.

I cannot, and will never, see Katter as a Centrist.
Maybe people only see one side of the man,his party is what Labor was in the 60's-70's,compared too today under my-way-or the -highway under Gillard style of Labor which will go the same way as Qld Labor has just done,only a matter of time now..

The reality, for better or worse, here as in the UK is that a local candidate's merit is of very little importance in determining the result as compared with the party's national/state standing.

Agreed - the vast majority of Australians vote on party lines, not the individual representative within each electorate.

As always, there are a few exceptions, and all of the independents are examples of someone who stands on their own merits and has no ruling party. These people are crucial during hung Parliaments, as we are seeing Federally now, and largely irrelevant when the major parties have a substantial working majority on the floor.

Good intelligent hard-working members of any party can find themselves swept out of office by a tide that is beyond their influence. At the margin your personal performance might keep you in office, but it's probably going to make a few percent difference to your share of the vote.

Agreed again. Even extremely high profile candidates that don't have the backing of a Party struggle to find traction with an electorate.

In one state seat here in Perth, the was a lady who was a Liberal Party member who was very strong and locally seen as a brilliant example of a local member. Unfortunately, after about 3 terms of office, she thought she was bigger and better than the Party. She quit the Party and remained as an independent, then stood for re-election as an independent.

The incoming endorsed Liberal Party member easily won the vote and swept her aside. All of her work over more than decade counted for nothing to the voters. The loyalty was not repaid personally, they wanted the Liberal Party endorsed candidate, not some high profile individual who once elected would be accountable to no-one.

The background Party heirachy who call the shots are a very strange lot indeed. They want a small say in things individually, a large say in things collectively, but never put themselves "out" in the public eye.

I am absolutely against The Blair, Howard, Bush troika. Terrible lies and duplicity.

I was just pointing out the New Labor party that Blair presented to England to take power from the conservatives at the time. It was pretty amazing.

I hope you are right about labor reinventing itself: Thats the way party politics is supposed to work. But if you have a New Labor then, by definition, the Old Labor is dead. That's what I have been saying. Labor [as we know it] is GONSKY! If, and only "if", they become a new centre party I will vote for them again. They will need to associate with the Australia Party which is already in that space and which has a less sullied brand though. But the pommy unionist and others will not go with them.

But Tony is a poor model. He was even less trustworthy than those you despise here.

ps Will the "new" labor spell it's name right?

What an idiot!

Is that the best your feeble brain can come up with?
Sir Jo. and his cronies for whom "law and order" existed for everyone else.
Big biz loved sir Jo, as he loved big biz.

And we all know about daylight saving debate...

The background Party heirachy who call the shots are a very strange lot indeed. They want a small say in things individually, a large say in things collectively, but never put themselves "out" in the public eye.
Agree, sheep want to be led by sheep.

Let's not forget that >50% of voters are female.
And females voters in the majority vote for candidates who push a feel good enviro nanny state barrow.

That is of course until they don't.

If you want to understand 10+% electorate swings, understand the whims of females.

I haven't seen stats on it yet, but I'd give my right eye that females make up >>50% of swinging voters.

Let's not forget that >50% of voters are female.
And females voters in the majority vote for candidates who push a feel good enviro nanny state barrow.

That is of course until they don't.

If you want to understand 10+% electorate swings, understand the whims of females.

I haven't seen stats on it yet, but I'd give my right eye that females make up >>50% of swinging voters.

They should never have been given the vote! :)

That's one item that Anna and her people behind her that told her what to say did not think about if the Ladies in the house are not happy,then you won't be,that 's how much they have lost contact with the people in the street..

That's one item that Anna and her people behind her that told her what to say did not think about if the Ladies in the house are not happy,then you won't be,that 's how much they have lost contact with the people in the street..

Maybe they assumed she would get the female vote because she's female?

Maybe they assumed she would get the female vote because she's female?
I don't think it works that way anymore,40 years ago maybe,i watched 3 grow up 0f my own and each day is different and the Ladies have more control today even the 10 dollar Pom,Miss Gillard..

I don't think it works that way anymore,40 years ago maybe,i watched 3 grow up 0f my own and each day is different and the Ladies have more control today even the 10 dollar Pom,Miss Gillard..

Indeed. Actually in rape cases, the prosecution always tries to eliminate as many female jurors as possible because they are more likely to acquit the defendant. Funny isn't it?

Back