QLD Hotspots

Been to Cooktown twice. Once (by sea) with a bunch 'a drunks on the shake-down cruise of a new game fishing boat and the other with a difr'nt bunch 'a drunks by land.

It is a little place with a lot of character and it is a lot of fun.:) On the first trip we drank in the RSL where you needed to be careful with your change or it would slip through the cracks in the floor into the Endeavour River. On the second we discovered the Lion Hotel. Too far to walk out of town, a top "country" pub.

But I wouldn't pay the prices quoted. The town has racial problems so I would go a little west (close to the Lion :) )

One thing which may be misunderstood is that once you are in the tropics, going further North doesn't mean it gets hotter. It just means it's hot longer, or, conversely, any concept of winter is lost.

As far as I know, it's still great fishing.

Thommo

The article pretty much sums up what I have long believed about the whole area from Brisbane and up and I`m definately gettin` that feeling again, with regard to the houses I have up there.
I have a couple of properties up there which I am going to try to hang on to, what you get for the money is a lifestyle most can only dream of.
I`m a big fan of these areas, I think they will move ahead more than even Ipswich will over the next 20 yrs. :)

The days of million-dollar beach homes have arrived at Yeppoon and Emu Park, which are increasingly favoured by commuters from Rockhampton.

And at Yeppoon at least, cheap land is still available. Blocks in new subdivisions without a view are selling for $90,000 to $130,000. Throw in a view of the ocean and the price tops $200,000.

At Emu Park's Zilzie Beach, such blocks bring up to $250,000.

I drove through the above towns last month, and was surprised at just how nice they were (having never been near that part of the country until then). There seems to be a lot of activity going on, with a few new estates and subdivisions and a Wayne Grady designed Golf Course and residential estate/resort at Zilzie. The main stretch at Yeppoon reminds me a lot of Cavill Av the Gold Coast 10 or 15 years ago - lots of fish and chip shops and surf shops directly across from a beach that gets no surf (Yeppoon has a few less hi rises though :) )

Emu Park and Zilzie were a little quieter and less tourist driven, but still plenty to see and do - definitely somewhere I could see myself visiting again. Having spent a few hours there, I can see why its becoming a popular place to live.

The photos below were taken around Zilzie Beach

79aut_9274-med.jpeg

79aut_9260-med.jpeg

79aut_9276-med.jpeg

Last edited:
"Glow-worms in the ocean"

G'day all,

I have very pleasant memories of visiting a mate in Yeppoon about 20 years back (he's not there now - damn!)

A very memorable part of that visit was in enjoying the phosphorescence of the ocean in those parts. We went for a dip at night, and were enthralled as water dripping off us was glowing (sort of like glow-worms) as it fell from our arms. We were like big kids frolicking in the surf - and every splash we made was "high-lighted" with these thousands of tiny lights - it was magnificent. I don't recall whether it was full moon, or not - and I have no idea if this even matters (though, with phosphorescence, a bit of reflected light is probably useful ;) ) - it was really just one of Nature's gifts - and quite magic !!

I'd never seen this before, and, on questioning my host, he believed it happened further North too. But he had no idea how far South this went.

Suffice to say, it was a very memorable experience, and something to be experienced (even if you don't BUY there).

Have those who have visited Yeppoon experienced similar things (I'd hate to think that this no longer occurred...)?

Regards,

A few years ago I spent over a week working in Cooktown and I have to agree with Thommo there, it does have some problems .... any town with solid steel doors on the pub has a problem ;)

And as far as the fishing goes ....... well I must have been using the wrong bait :(

A year or so ago I spent some time looking around the Yeppoon, Emu Park and Zilzie area and liked what I saw, lots of development starting to happen.

The Wayne Grady golf course in Zilzie is part of the GBRIR development thats well under way.

Les, the phosphorescence that you saw happens in most ocean waters. I've seen it as far south as Victoria, but it's probably more pronounced in warmer waters.

It's caused by Dinoflagellates :eek:

Cheers

Phil

We spent some time looking at property in Yeppoon and surrounds last year. Lots of potential, and if we'd had more money we would have bought more. Something to consider if you are buying there........ it is very windy!! The wind comes from the south generally. So, if you are buying property on the hill, with verandah's etc, try to buy them with north facing verandah's, or anything apart from south! This was more so in Yeppoon than Emu Park.
The views are spectacular.

Pen

I was very taken with Yeppoon when I visited last year. Beautiful views, nice town and friendly service to boot. Those pics of Zilzie Beach are very good, Jamie. Did you take them?

Was in Yeppoon November 2001.

Stayed at the Rydges Resort http://www.capricornresort.com/capricorn/resort/gallery.asp just 5 minutes out of town. Remember waking up each morning looking straight out over Great Keppel Island http://www.greatkeppel.com.au/ The golf course was excellent but don't bother searching for lost golf balls. The steaks in this part of Qld are sensational and there WAS a nightlife. :D

I was at a real estate conference but would you believe didn't take too much interest in the local market when I was there, too much fun to be had. ;)

Yeppoon is an area worth considering for long term growth however as it has many of the features which historically supports it. Great views, High quality local resort, islands off the coast, Rocky close by, elevated position for housing and more. This is often the ingredients for the "Rich and Famous".

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Back