Quick q

Hi our tenants ( live downstairs in desperate dwelling) are saying they have a fly issue and think its from a dead rat in wall as that's where most of the flys are sitting. They killed a heap yesterday but keep comming back. Upstairs where I live we aren't having an issue. They are getting pest control out to see where issue is- who pays? Landlord or tenant? I would normally try and fix myself but not much I can do in this case.

We had a rat die in a wall between our bedroom and the bathroom. It stank for several weeks, then the smell faded slowly. For the next year or two, each time we had a stinking hot day, there was a smell again.

We also had blowflies around that section of wall. That didn't last long and we just kept spraying them.

I would think if it is a dead rat, the smell will be pretty bad. I don't understand what they think they will gain from getting in a pest man apart from a bill.

Who pays? If it is a dead rat, there is nothing the pest man can do but tell them "there is a dead rat in your wall cavity". Time is your friend here and the smell should go in a few weeks. The flies will leave long before the smell.

I would not want to pay to have someone tell me that.

They killed a heap yesterday but keep comming back

Rats or flies?
Seriously thou Wylie is correct, it happens, not much you can do other than to knock holes in the wall until you find the carcass - not a good option. Could be worse - could be a possum!

We actually had this problem a few months ago.
Cut a hole in the wall, removed dead rat, and repaired hole.

We paid for it, because it wasn't our tenant's fault.
She was very happy.
We are happy.

We laid lots of poison baits in the basement, because we didn't want any deaths in the walls, but sometimes you can't prevent it.

I just found a long dead rat skeleton in a wall I pulled apart. Actually the one wall had a bee hive, a rats nest (with skeletal rat) and significantly chomped studs from termites. Who thought there would be so much wildlife in a wall?

Jason

We laid lots of poison baits in the basement, because we didn't want any deaths in the walls, but sometimes you can't prevent it.

We did this too. Left rat baits in the ceiling and ended up killing three possums over a month or more. Baits were in "possum proof" containers, but they still managed to get them.

We don't mind the possums in our roof, but were keen on moving the rats on.

Believe, me the smell from a dead possum beats the smell from a dead rat, hands down.

We paid our pest man to tog up and remove the dead possums as soon as we had the first hint of a smell. He felt bad for having laid the baits and removed the dead ones for us. I hate it that we killed three possums, because we would never have tried to get rid of the rats if we had known we would kill a possum.

Back