Quotes That Inspire & Motivate You

From a former boss's wall :-

When you're running with the herd, don't stumble - getting up again can be a real BITCH

Regards,

ren-A said:
"Do or not do - there is no 'try'"

Yoda

It's actually:

Do, or do not. There is no try.

I've always remembered that one. :)

Excellent thread, guys. :D

A couple of my favourites are:

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Buddha

You have to think anyway, so why not think big?
Donald J. Trump

Two of my favourites...

The heights by great men reached and kept were not obtained by sudden flight:
For they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night.

Thomas Monson

These are the times that try men's souls.
But the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.
T'is dearness only, that gives everything its value.

Thomas Paine.

Jamie.

Last edited:
Isaac Newton said:
If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.
Ben Franklin said:
"The only time a question should be asked is when all other possibilities of finding the answer for yourself have been eliminated.
Anything is possible if you forget to listen to the people who say it is impossible
John Dewey said:
We only think when confronted with a problem.
Its amazing how the harder I work, the luckier I get.
Winston Churchill said:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened
Dressing up is inevitably a substitute for good ideas. It is no coincidence that technically inept business types are known as "suits."

Hi All

Great Thread

I have a number that stick with me and use one below as pertinent to my present life phase.

The Goal of Life is not having everything you want but to want everything you have.

Another I have heard and like are:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady USA.

Thanks to Simonjulie for the JK Rowling one as that explains exactly why 5% succeed in their chosen field/endeavour/challenge or goals regardless of I.Q., privilege, money or education:

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
JK Rowling

Personally, I have my own, which are:

Have faith in everyone but trust no-one”

“If you need to make a decision and do so you have at least, on face value, a 50%/50% chance of getting it right. But if your procrastinate you have a 100% chance of getting it wrong”

Although the last one is more a logic arguement than a saying I think.

Regards, Peter 147

Last edited:
"you are not what you think you are,
but what you think, you are"

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.”

"It better befits a man to laugh at life than to lament over it”

"You make your own luck in life."

"Luck never made a man wise."

“There are more things to alarm us than to harm us, and we suffer more often in apprehension than reality.”

“Forgiveness is not the misguided act of condoning irresponsible, hurtful behavior. Nor is it a superficial turning of the other cheek that leaves us feeling victimized and martyred. Rather it is the finishing of old business that allows us to experience the present, free of contamination from the past.”

"The greatest good you can do for another is not
just share your riches, but reveal to them their own"

The great are great to us only because we are on
our knees. Let us arise.

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm

Don't dwell on reality; it will only keep you from
greatness.

thefirstbruce said:
The great are great to us only because we are on
our knees. Let us arise.
Bruce, I particularly liked this one.

Merovingian said:
You have to think anyway, so why not think big
Merovingian, I have always liked this Trump quote, just noticed that it was your sig.

JIM

Hi,

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
If at first you do succeed, try try try to make it not look like an accident.

On a more serious note, I thought I'd point out the dictionary's definition of success:

dictionary.com said:
suc·cess ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-ss)
n.
The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.

Note 'desired', 'planned', 'attempted'. Not 'longing', 'stumbled upon', 'forced upon'.

dtraeger2k said:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Parachutes and minds work best when open.

I have another one that I often say to myself when I'm looking at buying something second hand.

The poor person pays twice.

An example would be that I bought a second hand computer. Now my family are complaining.
" It's to slow, the printers no good, I can't plug my MP3 player in ". and "You can buy brand new ones now for $699 ".

Last edited:
I have several favourite quotes, sayings and poems that I find incredibly inspirational; far too many too list ( I actually used to collect quotes as a hobby):

one of my faves is If life gives you lemons, make lemonade

I love the poem callled The Road Not Taken

and I also like Pretend to be a Pig in order to Eat the Tiger (I got that out of my favourite book)

Too many more to mention

I think Maya Angelou was the first to write this. Not normally what you'd call an inspiring or motivating quote, but makes me think.

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you've done, but people will never forget how you made them feel".

Last edited:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

agent 86 said:
Maya Angelou ..."People will forget what you said, people will forget what you've done, but people will never forget how you made them feel".

I believe this is also Maya Angelou

"When people show you who they are believe them"

That saying makes me realise not much in life really comes outta nowhere and bites you on the behind. Not if you are observant. Hindsight... wonder if you can layby it :D

"I am the daughter in whom God is well pleased"

That makes me feel better when I feel down on myself for not doing or being better.

Wishga,

Just done a wiki on Maya Angelou

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Angelou

Reading it partly helps understand why she came out with the stuff she did.

Worth the read, and towards the bottom, dont forget to hit the wikiquote icon for Maya Angelou.

Some refreshing quotes there. Also some very sobering ones. 99% I've never heard of before. She certainly was prolific. Cant find the two you've put up yet.

So many good ones. Im inspired enough to pick one of her short ones as my new sig.:)

Back