Quotes That Inspire & Motivate You

Don't wait for the game to come to you.

Originally read it as applied to football, but it can be applied to everyday living.

Another one I like is "every day above ground is a good one"

Regards
Marty

Seriously, this is it...

"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it..and offer it to everyone who will take it.
I will seek knowledge from those wiser...and teach those who wish to learn from me."

Unknown author..this quote is on Duane Allman's grave.

"Two and two are four.
Sometimes, Winston, sometimes they are five.
Sometimes they are three.
Sometimes they are all of them at once.
You must try harder.
It is not easy to become sane.
George Orwell 1984

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a small bucket." George again.

How is this for deja vu...

1933 George Orwell

"The Paris slums are a gathering place for eccentric people- people who have fallen into solitary, half-mad grooves of life and given up trying to be normal or decent.
Poverty frees them from normal standards of behaviour, just as money frees people from work.."

"The more one pays for food, the more sweat and spittle one is obliged to eat with it."...George again...(well, I only just found him...all is a novelty still).

Talking of famous quotes to inspire...I found a couple of epitahs...courtesy of
www.efamousquotes.com/article/famous_last_words (some of them are a hoot....check out in "D" Norman Douglas's last words..)

Humphrey Bogart..."I should never have switched from scotch to martinis.."

Archimedes.."Me mou tous kuklous taratte"..."Don't disturb my circles!"

Unknown Grave..."here lies an atheist- all dressed up and nowhere to go"

Edmund Blackadder..."Here lies Edmund Blackadder, and he is bloody annoyed."

"There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience had brought it home."

by John Stuart Mil

The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen."

Lee Iacocca

One quote has really motivated me more than any other.

"Get back to work".

And one of the best pieces of advice ever given to me, returning to work after a pub lunch, laughing a bit too much. "It's OK to go to the pub. But when you're back at work, act like you're back at work".

Quotes

Thanks all for the amazing array of quotes so far, they truly are fabulous. Isn't it amazing from just reading through some of them how they relate to you at a certain point in your journey through life.

"The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen"

This one by Redwing applied to me a few years ago, I wrote a lot of the things I wanted to change and jotted them down. Its funny how just seeing them on paper makes you want to strive harder to make them a reality.
JIM

It Just Got Too Quiet...

"He is richest who is content with the least".....Socrates

"He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have"......Socrates

"One sees great things from the valley, only small things from the peak"....C K Chesterton

"My feet are cold," one says, and the legless man replies, "So are mine. So are mine."....Kentucky Folklore

"Work like you don't need the money
Dance like no one is watching
And love like you've never been hurt."......Mark Twain

"The only reward of virtue is virtue."....Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional."....Roger Crawford

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."....William Shakespeare

"For most of human history we have searched for our place in the cosmos.
Who are we?
What are we?
We find that we inhabit an insignificant planet of a hum-drum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxys than people.
We make our world significant by the courage of our questions, and by the depth of our answers."......Carl Sagan

"Searching my heart for it's true sorrow
This is the thing I find to be
That I am weary of words and people
Sick of the city, wanting the sea.".....Edna St. Vincent Millay

our obsession said:
"One sees great things from the valley, only small things from the peak"....C K Chesterton
Our Obsession,
They are some beauties, I especially liked the one above, I had not seen that one before, thanks.
JIM

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy crap we don't need. - Fight Club.
[/FONT]

err.. thanks for the edit geoff.... but the real quote said "sh*t" not crap. :)

Last edited:
I have lost count of how many times I have been back to reread this thread, more times than there are replies, and each time it gets better n better

Thanks to all... Great thread :)

A few of my favourite quotes...

"People with humility don't think less of themselves, they think of themselves less" Ken Blanchard.

"Every man wants to change the world. Only the best wants to change himself" Leo Tolstoy

"It is not where you starts that counts, but where you choose to finish" Andrew Matthews

"Success represents the 1% of the works which results from the 99% that is called failure" Soichiro Honda

"Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing yourself is superior wisdom" Lao Tzu

"Don't wish it was easier. Wish you were better" Jim Rohn

Cheers,

Just got some more:
Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.

The world is full of willing people: some willing to work and some willing to let them.

JIM

This is my personal favourite, it's also in my

There's a story about a golfer who sinks a 30-meter putt and someone says: 'Gee, that was lucky' and the golfer says, 'Yes, amazing how lucky you get when you practise 8 hours a day for 20 years'.

Matt

Albert Albert....

"The greatest discovery of any generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering the attitude of their minds."

Albert Schwitzer

"Out of clutter, find Simplicity
From discord, find Harmony
In the middle of difficulty lies Opportunity..."

Albert Einstein

Back